Proposal: Brayden Point to Rangers for the 2nd Overall Pick

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Tampa is going to have a hell of a time signing Point. Point is a young superstar center who plays a great two way game and could really fast track the Ranger’s rebuild. Essentially, this trade would be Brayden Point for Kappo Kakko or unlikely Jack Hughes. Tampa and the Rangers make trades seemingly every single year with eachother.

Would it be worth it for either team? Kakko and Hughes will absolutely be superstars in this league. But, do they have the upside of a Brayden Point? Let me know what you think! I think it’s be a good trade for both teams.

Reactions: egelband

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Tampa is going to have a hell of a time signing Point. Point is a young superstar center who plays a great two way game and could really fast track the Ranger’s rebuild. Essentially, this trade would be Brayden Point for Kappo Kakko or unlikely Jack Hughes. Tampa and the Rangers make trades seemingly every single year with eachother.

Would it be worth it for either team? Kakko and Hughes will absolutely be superstars in this league. But, do they have the upside of a Brayden Point? Let me know what you think! I think it’s be a good trade for both teams.

TB has like 3 UFA Defensemen that total like $12-13 million. Stralman may re-sign but at a bargain price and they would move Callahan/Miller/Johnson in that order to sign Point. He loves it there and is flexible on term to keep the band together.

Good luck getting TB to give up Point.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden

It wouldn't make s sense for us, our best chance for the cup is within the coming seasons, trading away Point would reduce those chances.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
This is actually not the worst. From TB's perspective, they should avoid this if they can. They have some aging players and they need to do everything they can to keep their talent within their window.

This accelerates the rebuild for the NYR and turns it into more of a retooling. The Rangers lose the value of an elc for more certainty in the type of player they are getting. Not sure if this is something they want to do though. They may be better off spending a couple more years accumulating high end picks.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I think Tampa sticks to the guy it knows, but this isn't a terrible idea for Tampa. Whoever they'd get at 2nd OA would not be eligible for the Seattle expansion draft if the rules are the same as they were for Vegas.

How is Hank holding up? If the Rangers had Brayden Point and hooked one of the big UFAs they could be scary next year.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think Tampa sticks to the guy it knows, but this isn't a terrible idea for Tampa. Whoever they'd get at 2nd OA would not be eligible for the Seattle expansion draft if the rules are the same as they were for Vegas.

How is Hank holding up? If the Rangers had Brayden Point and hooked one of the big UFAs they could be scary next year.

If you're worried about Johnson/Killorn not waiving their NTC's this summer, it's not a terrible idea.

They probably say no, but it's fair value.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We're not going to have a tough time signing Point.

Wouldn't trade him for anybody who's not a top-10 player in the league.

Reactions: bert

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If you're worried about Johnson/Killorn not waiving their NTC's this summer, it's not a terrible idea.

They probably say no, but it's fair value.

We could move Miller or Gourde easily enough, most likely Miller. Then we can either buy out Callahan or attach an asset to move him. We can even retain if we have to.

This off-season's cap crunch was never a huge deal, but it got a lot easier with the emergence of Erik Cernak. Our top-4 next year is already set, even with three defensemen coming off the books. We'll need to trade one, maybe two, players. But it's not going to be a major overhaul. The 2020 off-season could get ugly though.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
We could move Miller or Gourde easily enough, most likely Miller. Then we can either buy out Callahan or attach an asset to move him. We can even retain if we have to.

This off-season's cap crunch was never a huge deal, but it got a lot easier with the emergence of Erik Cernak. Our top-4 next year is already set, even with three defensemen coming off the books. We'll need to trade one, maybe two, players. But it's not going to be a major overhaul. The 2020 off-season could get ugly though.

Yeah, I assume one of those two is gone this summer for an asset (Ristolainen??) and Callahan is gone.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nah, Kakko or Hughes have much more of a potential upside than Point. Also, Point plays with Kucherov, so his numbers are a tad inflated. Still an excellent player, but have to look at all the facts around him.

Reactions: bl02

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Nah, Kakko or Hughes have much more of a potential upside than Point. Also, Point plays with Kucherov, so his numbers are a tad inflated. Still an excellent player, but have to look at all the facts around him.
And Kucherov plays with Stamkos, so his numbers are inflated, too! Can't forget that they play in front of Hedman, either, who himself plays in front of Vasilevskiy, who plays behind Point!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad