Value of: Braun to TOR

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I have been told by many of my fellow Leafs fans that Braun is not a player you move a 1st for....

We've read that San Jose fans don't think he is worth a first either. This could another situation where folks are thinking that ANY RHD is better any of the Leafs 3rd pairing RHD and should acquired at any cost.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Braun would IMMEDIATELY become your best Defensive Defenseman, AND can be counted on for 25-30 points. Think about it.

Really? Last season the Sharks allowed 4 less goals than Leafs during the regular season. Seems kinda fantasy that the Sharks have all these great Dmen and Leafs lousy ones who can't play defence.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Honestly Kadri's name should be nowhere near this thread, without even getting into the talent disparity here he is one of the Leafs only below market value contracts, they simply cannot afford to part with that. I guess I'm just glad we found a floor on dmen Nylander can be demanded for.
If you read the thread you would see that no one is saying the Leafs should trade Kadri for Braun. It's just that for this season, the Sharks would need a low end 2C, high end 3C which Kadri is (a bit better) and would be the fit. If we are talking about after this season then that's a whole different thing.

Fenrirson

Sep 17, 2018
At this point in the cap era, a team like the leafs can't afford to trade the influx of young talent that 1st round picks provide. No team can.

Not that Braun is worth one. But I'd do 2 2nds, and I bet SJ would too

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
At this point in the cap era, a team like the leafs can't afford to trade the influx of young talent that 1st round picks provide. No team can.

Not that Braun is worth one. But I'd do 2 2nds, and I bet SJ would too
Both Murray and Stuart got SJ 2 2nds in this cap era. Braun is much better than both of them at everything except maybe hitting. So no they would not accept two 2nds.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
There is nothing we can offer you guys that will satisfy you without giving up too key-a-piece for our roster as well.

Best swap would be any of our #6/7 D, and either a 2nd Rounder or a prospect outside of our top 5. I already know its a no deal from the Sharks.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Sharks have a need for a 3C. I'm assuming if Braun goes then we'd probably want something of that nature in return. I think he'd be a good add to Toronto.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
There is nothing we can offer you guys that will satisfy you without giving up too key-a-piece for our roster as well.

Best swap would be any of our #6/7 D, and either a 2nd Rounder or a prospect outside of our top 5. I already know its a no deal from the Sharks.

I don't think we'd want to downgrade Braun for a 2nd rounder. We can keep him this year no troubles. He will relish being on that 3rd pairing.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Leaf fans in here acting like that 1st round pick will be top 10....Assuming your team will be as good as your entire fan base thinks, I don't see how Braun isnt worth a late (#24-30) 1st...He's a fairly affordable top 4 D regardless of the fact your fan base thinks he's a #5/6....he plays against the toughest comp every single night. Is he as good as he has been? No, but he's still easily a top 3/4 defensive defenseman for under $4m with one extra year left on his deal.

I'd rather just keep him than trade him to the leafs anyways. As soon as he got traded there would be threads on the main boards "Can anyone beat a leafs team this deep?"

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
So in other words “I have no evidence to back this up.”
Seriously? CF% dead last on a possession minded defense team 45.7%. Below average controlled exits despite his high usage in the dzone. He might be a better version of Ron Hainsey but not much better despite the age difference.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Leaf fans in here acting like that 1st round pick will be top 10....Assuming your team will be as good as your entire fan base thinks, I don't see how Braun isnt worth a late (#24-30) 1st...He's a fairly affordable top 4 D regardless of the fact your fan base thinks he's a #5/6....he plays against the toughest comp every single night. Is he as good as he has been? No, but he's still easily a top 3/4 defensive defenseman for under $4m with one extra year left on his deal.

I'd rather just keep him than trade him to the leafs anyways. As soon as he got traded there would be threads on the main boards "Can anyone beat a leafs team this deep?"
My fear is that he is not the shutdown defenseman that is needed to stabilize Rielly or Gardiner and its tough to even justify trading a 2nd plus where there isn't a clear fit. Braun is a very competitent D-man but a 1st is a lot. would probably be multiple pieces not 1 big piece going back.
Why'd you have to say the pick would be 24th-30th? Couldn't be 31st? its been 52 years toss us a bone cmon

Reactions: SjMilhouse

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
My fear is that he is not the shutdown defenseman that is needed to stabalize Rielly or Gardiner and its tough to even justify trading a 2nd plus where there isn't a clear fit.
Why'd you have to say the pick would be 24th-30th? Couldn't be 31st? its been 52 years toss us a bone cmon
Quick question....why not?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
To pay a 1st and get a 5/6 Dman would be tragic. Dude can't be worse than Zaitsev or Polak last year or Hainsey at the end of last year though. Just a lot of risk when we have guys coming up.
Meh, i guess i am the only Leafs fan that isn't confident in our D as is. I think we need on solid D 1st guy...hopefully to play with Rielly....drop Hainsey down to shelter Gardiner's daily gaffs...then put Zaitsev and Dermott together.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Hopefully we are done trading for high draft picks for 4th line players and bottom pairing guys. We have plenty of dmen right now who can push for a spot in our lineup. Lets see what we have before wasting draft picks.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Meh, i guess i am the only Leafs fan that isn't confident in our D as is. I think we need on solid D 1st guy...hopefully to play with Rielly....drop Hainsey down to shelter Gardiner's daily gaffs...then put Zaitsev and Dermott together.
Dermott needs some time with Rielly at ES this year. He played RD for most of junior so I don't get the big issue for him. I'm more comfortable with that pairing and then evaluating where our D corps is at after that is tested.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Dermott needs some time with Rielly at ES this year. He played RD for most of junior so I don't get the big issue for him. I'm more comfortable with that pairing and then evaluating where our D corps is at after that is tested.

Risky move, but if Dubas doesn't acquire anyone...I'd prefer it. start the season with
Rielly/Dermott
Hainsey/Gardiner
Zaitsev/Carrick/Holl/??

If Z picks it up this season...then swap he and Hainsey.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Really? Last season the Sharks allowed 4 less goals than Leafs during the regular season. Seems kinda fantasy that the Sharks have all these great Dmen and Leafs lousy ones who can't play defence.

That's some real shallow thinking. Just because it's only four goals less doesn't mean that your team doesn't have room to improve defensively. And there's a big reason why the Sharks allowed only four less goals especially when the Leafs actually allowed less 5-on-5 and 3-on-3 than the Sharks. And it's because they allowed a lot more on their PK and in 5-on-6 against. Both things that Justin Braun would be a better option than anyone on the Leafs' right side currently. And honestly with the moves made and certain people like Thornton getting healthy, I have more confidence in the Sharks closing the gap in goals allowed 5-on-5 than I do the Leafs even maintaining that number or closing the gap in other ways to keep it as close as it was. You came within four goals allowed on a down year defensively for the Sharks and an up year for the Leafs. The previous two years saw a GA gap between the two teams of 33 and 34 goals respectively.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
How about Braun for Marleau with 2 million retained. Saves you a bit of cap and gets you the RHD upgrade you want.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Risky move, but if Dubas doesn't acquire anyone...I'd prefer it. start the season with
Rielly/Dermott
Hainsey/Gardiner
Zaitsev/Carrick/Holl/??

If Z picks it up this season...then swap he and Hainsey.
I think you're 100% right But it will start Borgman/Zaitsev bottom pairing cause Babs loves his big boys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad