Feb 23, 2020
I dont usually do trade idea, but what about this:

To MTL: Perfetti + MTL 2e 2024
To WIN: Barron + WIN 1e 2024 + Van 3rd 2025

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Disagree. I don't see Harris improving much from this point. Modest gains after he showed maturity at a younger age. With Barron, I see more untapped potential.

A majority of defensemen improve after age 25. This was only his 2nd full year in the NHL. How is he in any way "mature", but Barron is not.

What a ridiculously stubborn understanding of defensemen development.

Reactions: Kent Nilsson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So you'd bench, waive, or trade away Harris to give Barron a spot? Fine with me.

But else do you bench, waive, or trade away to give Barron a spot in the NHL -- because Harris or no Harris, Barron's still not a 6th dman.

Is the team better for it? The team intends on making the playoffs. Hyper-fixating on Barron's development at the expense of the team's performance is probably the worst possible thing to do. They need to play meaningful games in April and May.

And if you intend on stashing Barron in the AHL, that's also fine, but how is that going to help him develop his NHL-game *and lap* Harris, Struble, etc. on the depth chart?

We can ride with 8D to start the season if we have too...

Huton, Reinbacher, Mailloux to start in the AHL to groom their game to the pro level.

Matheson / Guhle
Struble / Savard
Xhekaj / Harris

Barron, Kova

If Hutson forces his way on, Harris or Kova go on waivers. Then we rotate guys in/out but lets face it, there is going to be an injury to one of those 8.

We will explore trade options with Harris and Barron but if the offers are crap, we don't need to make any desperation moves. If we can ride with 3 goalies this past season, we can certainly ride with 8D to start next year.

That means we will have 13F and one extra. Maybe that means we loose Ylonen or RHP to waivers?

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I dont usually do trade idea, but what about this:

To MTL: Perfetti + MTL 2e 2024
To WIN: Barron + WIN 1e 2024 + Van 3rd 2025

I think it's fair, but I'm not overly interested in a small forward, who doesn't have elite skating ability. Winnipeg does have a lot of forward prospects, though. Barron could be of interest to Winnipeg because: 1. They need puck movers on that blueline. 2. They have a need for RD. 3. His brother is already on the team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A majority of defensemen improve after age 25. This was only his 2nd full year in the NHL. How is he in any way "mature", but Barron is not.

What a ridiculously stubborn understanding of defensemen development.

Nah, you are assuming they all grow at the same rates and you're getting frustrated because I have Barron with higher potential than Harris. Deal with it.

I see less improvement from Harris than Barron moving forward. Harris is ahead of him today but I see the potential of Barron to move and improve in that 23-25+ ages more than Harris. And yeah, I spoke towards this already. Are you actually reading everything or are you stuck on your opinion of Harris being ahead of Barron with no other possible outcome. Talk about being stubborn and not comprehending the conversation well enough

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Nah, you are assuming they all grow at the same rates and you're getting frustrated because I have Barron with higher potential than Harris. Deal with it.

I see less improvement from Harris than Barron moving forward. Harris is ahead of him today but I see the potential of Barron to move and improve in that 23-25+ ages. And yeah, I spoke towards this already. Are you actually reading everything?

I don't have defenseman growing at the same rate, but statistics show that a defenseman's prime is post age 25. Harris is 23, but you've already decided he's as good as he's going to get. That's just :facepalm:

They can both go. Both are overly soft players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't have defenseman growing at the same rate, but statistics show that a defenseman's prime is post age 25. Harris is 23, but you've already decided he's as good as he's going to get. That's just :facepalm:

They can both go. Both are overly soft players.

You're moving the conversation around. I said that exact same thing. Lots of growth from age 23-25 and beyond. I honestly don't think you are comprehending what I said well and once again, I think it's because you think Barron can't pass Harris in the coming years and you are stuck on it. That's the debate! It has nothing to do with not understanding D Growth from 23-25 and 25+ at this stage.

I explained my stance well several times. You don't have to agree but spare me with your growth from 25+ when I already spoke towards that before you jumped in the conversation. You're repeating what I said basically and trying to debate against it at the same time. lol

Both will grow more but Barron has a lot more room to grow and I do think he has the potential to be a very good top 4D if he figures out the maturity part. Harris showed maturity earlier and I think his growth room is less than what Barron's can be. Understand now? I hope so

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
We can ride with 8D to start the season if we have too...

Huton & Reinbacher to start in the AHL to groom their game to the pro level.

Matheson / Guhle
Struble / Savard
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Harris, Kova

If Hutson forces his way on, Harris or Kova go on waivers. Then we rotate guys in/out but lets face it, there is going to be an injury to one of those 8.

We will explore trade options with Harris and Barron but if the offers are crap, we don't need to make any desperation moves. If we can ride with 3 goalies this past season, we can certainly ride with 8D to start next year.

That means we will have 13F and one extra. Maybe that means we loose Ylonen or RHP to waivers?
I notice there is no Barron in your top6. Hence the topic at hand.

Seems like you can't concede a simple point: he's fallen too low on the depth chart to rely on.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I notice there is no Barron in your top6. Hence the topic at hand.

Seems like you can't concede a simple point: he's fallen too low on the depth chart to rely on.

My bad. Mailloux in the AHL with Hutson and Reinbacher and Barron in the mix of the NHL 8D

I have moving parts with the D after Matheson, Guhle, Savard. Let them fight for the full time spots and yeah, spare me with the bad development card if they are not playing full time. I have no doubt that there are going to be injuries and they all will get their share of games in. NHL D is like pitchers in baseball... Having more than 5 starters is ideal, not a problem.

The main point? We don't have to be desperate to move Harris and Barron this summer if other teams devalue them. Of course we would like to make some moves and I'm sure we will so this might be a meaningless conversation today. However, if the trade package for a top 6F doesn't work, we do not have to make desperation moves to unload one or both of Harris and Barron.

I think it's more important not to rush Hutson, Reinbacher, and Mailloux.

Reactions: bsl

frenchcanayan

Jul 26, 2021
What kind of of package if Draisaitl wants out of Edmonton ?

FWIW Laraque say he wants to go to Boston.

Habs need to at least try real hard to make this happen.

I may be stating the obvious obviousness

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019

Edmonton's probably going to ask for at least one of Suzuki/Slaf/Caufield, one of Guhle/Hutson/Reinbacher and then we add on top of that.

Trading for Draisaitl makes no sense for the position we're in. We'd end up punching holes in our lineup just to obtain a guy going on 29. It'd probably take us a few more years to undo the damage it cost to obtain him, and by then Draisaitl will be out of his prime.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Edmonton's probably going to ask for at least one of Suzuki/Slaf/Caufield, one of Guhle/Hutson/Reinbacher and then we add on top of that.

Trading for Draisaitl makes no sense for the position we're in. We'd end up punching holes in our lineup just to obtain a guy going on 29. It'd probably take us a few more years to undo the damage it cost to obtain him, and by then Draisaitl will be out of his prime.
Trading for him with 1 year left on his contract would be a very bad move

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010

And Hughes has said many times they are not going to deviate away from the plan to acquire any player.He may make a deal as he has already done for draft picks or a b prospect but will not trade the young core he is building.Any thought of trading the top line or any of our young Def is just plain silly.Barron ,Kovacevic and possibly Harris if it's a really good opportunity but thats it.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I think Marner is a great example of a very skilled player that is total shit in the playoffs. We need to get players with skill yes but they need to show up in the playoffs.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Why would he want to go to Boston? Although he'd be a massive addition and would make the team competitive again.

Man I'd give a lot for Dr Drai.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Assuming it's a signed Drai that's coming back, at say 10-11 per...

Caufield+Matheson+Beck+Mesar

Does that cover the cost? Probably not lmao. I'd do that 10000000x out of 10 though. Thar gives us 5 potential top 6 C if the Habs pick Lindstrom.

Reactions: frenchcanayan

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
My bad. Mailloux in the AHL with Hutson and Reinbacher and Barron in the mix of the NHL 8D

I have moving parts with the D after Matheson, Guhle, Savard. Let them fight for the full time spots and yeah, spare me with the bad development card if they are not playing full time. I have no doubt that there are going to be injuries and they all will get their share of games in. NHL D is like pitchers in baseball... Having more than 5 starters is ideal, not a problem.

The main point? We don't have to be desperate to move Harris and Barron this summer if other teams devalue them. Of course we would like to make some moves and I'm sure we will so this might be a meaningless conversation today. However, if the trade package for a top 6F doesn't work, we do not have to make desperation moves to unload one or both of Harris and Barron.

I think it's more important not to rush Hutson, Reinbacher, and Mailloux.

Let's say Guhle is the main piece in a trade for a top forward like Zegras.

Our D could look like this to start the season:

Matheson-Barron
Xhekaj-Savard
Struble-Kovacevic
Harris

I would expect the three prospects to get some games with the big club, with Mailloux being first in line I would imagine. Surely there will be some injuries.

Even better would be if we could move Savard and his Cup pedigree for a first, and sign a younger defensive UFA like Matt Roy to take his place on the 2nd pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad