Value of: Braun to TOR

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
The Sharks need to keep Braun. No rush to trade him as he is signed through the 2020 season. If they re-sign EK during the season they could work on trading Braun during the off season to free up cap space. But as of right now with Braun the Sharks don't have a single weak d pairing and the Sharks have never had that before despite all their great teams.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Douglas Murray and Brad Stuart got us not one, but 2 2nds. Each. And they are were both older and more objectively worse than Braun. Also I never said anything about retaining.

Here you go:

If Minnesota isn't interested, a deal involving Kadri could work, but the Leafs would have to take on some salary going back their way

Also
Polak got 2 2nds from SJ, what the hell does that matter. Erik Karlsson also just got a joke of a return.

Just cause Hall got traded for Larsson doesn't make that a standard for all trades.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Here you go:

Also
Polak got 2 2nds from SJ, what the hell does that matter. Erik Karlsson also just got a joke of a return.

Just cause Hall got traded for Larsson doesn't make that a standard for all trades.

Retaining != taking back another contract. I didn't ask for Kadri's contract to be reduced.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
How is Kadri a 3c?

Sure dont move your guy thats fine. But Kadri or a 1st=lol. This isnt ottawa, thats literally laughable.
What? Please enlighten me where Kadri is playing this season! Is he really above Tavares and Matthews? Also not saying they should do the trade it’s just that’s who it would take to get him to Toronto.

Last edited:

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
a cost controlled veteran 30point top 4 RHD is something that's worth trading a low 1st rounder for.
Lmao. Did u see what karlson returned?

Give me a first and I'll take your bottom pairing defender.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Lmao. Did u see what karlson returned?

Give me a first and I'll take your bottom pairing defender.
Good thing Braun isn’t a bottom pairing D. He’s forced there because of the two most explosive D in the league. Also yeah I did see what Karlsson returned a young 3C with potential to be a high end 2C, a young bottom pairing D, a top prospect, another top prospect, and multiple firsts.

Reactions: Bizz

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Good thing Braun isn’t a bottom pairing D. He’s forced there because of the two most explosive D in the league. Also yeah I did see what Karlsson returned a young 3C with potential to be a high end 2C, a young bottom pairing D, a top prospect, another top prospect, and multiple firsts.

Even if you tricked me into thinking Braun isn't a scrub, I'm not the leafs gm.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
What? Please enlighten me where Kadri is playing this season! Is he really above Tavares and Matthews? Also not saying they should do the trade it’s just that’s who it would take to get him to Toronto.
Where player plays doesn't always indicate how good they are. Malkin is the Pens 2c but he's clearly a franchise level talent. Kadri is a 2c playing 3c.

Reactions: DoobieDubas

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Others have mentioned that Braun was absolutely buried last year and didn't do too badly.

I think another issue is that the Vlasic-Braun pairing was getting a little stale. They were doing this thing where Braun was taking all the physical punishment...anytime the puck was dumped down Vlasic's side, they would switch so that Braun could take the hit while moving the puck to Vlasic. That wears on a guy over the course of the season, and resultantly, he had a disappointing playoff run.

He's obviously not going to be doing that with Dillon, and it would be nuts if he faced top competition. That would be a great third pairing as you have two big bodies who can skate and pass the puck reasonably (in Braun's case, very) well.

However, it is a poor fit for the player and the team. The Sharks could free up his nearly 4 million in salary for 2020, and Braun is underutilized off the 2nd-pairing and 1st PK. Braun also is offensively capable and really should be getting secondary PP time, but he's not going to get that in San Jose.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Even if you tricked me into thinking Braun isn't a scrub, I'm not the leafs gm.
Perfect. Then what’s the point in you responding? If you’re just gonna keep your stance without any evidence then what’s the point in even discussing this with you?

Reactions: Bizz

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think the best the Leafs would do would be Brown, Carrick and a third good but not high end piece. Really, if they do not like Brown or Carrick, they'd probably not take the deal.

I thought something like Brown, Carrick and Korshkov for Braun and Goodrow. Since we'd also get Goodrow tossed in, the Leafs would give up a higher end prospect.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
So Kadri is a 3C even though he was forced there because two of the best C in the league, but it's a different standard for Braun? Come on man, that's pitiful when the posts are that close together

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So Kadri is a 3C even though he was forced there because two of the best C in the league, but it's a different standard for Braun? Come on man, that's pitiful when the posts are that close together
That was not even close to what I meant. It’s the opposite in fact. That people are calling Braun a “scrub” for being on the bottom pairing and people are saying Kadri could be a 1C.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Tell that to Gardiner....

Gardiner has been that way his entire career. Nothing changed because of one playoff game. He is a Cody Franson who skates better. Justin Braun is good at defense, and is exactly the type of guy you need, and yet Leaf fans scoff at it. How come everyone else can see it except you? And why are you never honest about anything, ever. So if Justin Braun is not good enough for you, who is that is available?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Gardiner has been that way his entire career. Nothing changed because of one playoff game. He is a Cody Franson who skates better. Justin Braun is good at defense, and is exactly the type of guy you need, and yet Leaf fans scoff at it. How come everyone else can see it except you? And why are you never honest about anything, ever. So if Justin Braun is not good enough for you, who is that is available?
Some of us would take Braun...if we are scoffing, it's due to some of the asking prices here.

Reactions: DoobieDubas

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Some of us would take Braun...if we are scoffing, it's due to some of the asking prices here.

I can understand that however defenseman are expensive and Braun is worth a late first. Fine if you don't want to give that, but his skillset is ideal. I don't see a ton available right now, for a reasonable price. The knock on Tanev was always his health and he doesn't put up points. Well here is a guy that will chip in offensively and is pretty dependable health wise and still a first is too much. Its almost like most of your fanbase doesn't want to upgrade the backend at the expense of a late first round pick? Before Hainsey came there he would have been scoffed at too, but now he is integral to that d corps. I get it that he wasn't acquired with a first, but still. Braun would be awesome in Toronto, and now is the time to add to that back end.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I can understand that however defenseman are expensive and Braun is worth a late first. Fine if you don't want to give that, but his skillset is ideal. I don't see a ton available right now, for a reasonable price. The knock on Tanev was always his health and he doesn't put up points. Well here is a guy that will chip in offensively and is pretty dependable health wise and still a first is too much. Its almost like most of your fanbase doesn't want to upgrade the backend at the expense of a late first round pick? Before Hainsey came there he would have been scoffed at too, but now he is integral to that d corps. I get it that he wasn't acquired with a first, but still. Braun would be awesome in Toronto, and now is the time to add to that back end.
The Sharks just acquired one of the best Dmen in the league....for pennies, pretty hard to argue the "expensive d cost".....

Edit: I am also one Leafs fan that has no problem trading our 1st for a D upgrade. I keep reading how everyone says our D is fine....it isn't. We need a guy D 1st guy the can (preferably) play with Rielly...that way Hainsey can drop down with Gardiner and we run:

Rielly/???(Braun?)
Gardiner/Hainsey
Dermott/Zaitsev

Last edited:

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

You must have me confused with another poster or at the very least someone who gives a ****.

I'm actually quite honest and level headed. But that doesn't mean I see the need to add an almost 4 million dollar bottom pairing dman when we have bigger and better fish to fry.

I'd refer we do the patient route. Watch and see how everyone does up to the Xmas break and then start looking around at teams that have crashed and burned in the first half of the season who might have a more cost effective solution available.

The fact that that you compare Gardiner to Cody F is simply laughable and shows your bias and want to simply stir a pot.

You and others keep pushing this bs mantra of the leafs need a defensive dman. Watch the interview with Duby and he addresses that myth himself in plain easy to understand English. If that doesn't work for you...I don't know what will. We got rid of our defensive black holes (Leo, Bozak and to a degree JVR) who are being replaced with JT and then Kappy and AJ. All of whom are much better defensively and will make things easier on Freddy and the D Corp. Defense is a team game... not something that gets changed by adding a single player who is not EK or DD.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Braun will not get moved unless it's for a 3c. Middling prospects and mid round picks do nothing for SJ as they're trying to win now.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
If the Sharks are going to trade Braun, it's going to be with the intent of bringing in a center for their 3rd line. I don't think that kind of deal is out there and they have prospects they'll probably want to try out for that spot before looking to make a deal. Ideally, they should want to keep Braun for defensive depth. If they move Braun and have to slide Tim Heed into their bottom pairing and probably Radim Simek as their extra d-man, they're only moving their hole from a depth spot up front to a depth spot on the blue line.

Tim Heed is better than Justin Braun.

Braun isn't worth anything near a first rounder. His counting stats belie a steep two-year decline in his actual play and unfortunately Dubas is one of the few NHL GMs who probably understands that. If the Sharks are trying to move Braun it should be to a team with a dumber front office than Toronto's.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Braun isn't worth anything near a first rounder. His counting stats belie a steep two-year decline in his actual play and unfortunately Dubas is one of the few NHL GMs who probably understands that. If the Sharks are trying to move Braun it should be to a team with a dumber front office than Toronto's.

There is no legitimate evidence to support saying Heed is better than Braun on the simple fact that there isn't anywhere near that amount of information on Heed at the NHL level to make such a statement.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Well this is the hottest of hot takes. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion though.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Just to add a neutral opinion to this discussion: If Anaheim didn't have Manson and Lindholm, I would certainly consider a 1st for Braun. He'd be worth it, and unlike Karlsson(who I see getting brought up incorrectly as a comparison), San Jose has no need to move him and he's signed to this season and the next.

It wouldn't make sense for Anaheim, but any team that needed a defensive defenseman of high quality should be after a player like Braun.

Let's stop pretending that a pattern of high cost for top 4 defensemen suddenly evaporates because of this one unusual trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad