Value of: Braun to TOR

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Dermott needs some time with Rielly at ES this year. He played RD for most of junior so I don't get the big issue for him. I'm more comfortable with that pairing and then evaluating where our D corps is at after that is tested.

As an Otters fan, this is not true. Dermott was almost exclusively played at LD in his time with Erie.

I don't know how the Marlies used him though.

As for this thread, I don't really see a trade working here unless it's a 3-way trade where Toronto sends picks/prospects to a 3rd team for a 3C that's sent to San Jose for Braun.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
As an Otters fan, this is not true. Dermott was almost exclusively played at LD in his time with Erie.

I don't know how the Marlies used him though.

As for this thread, I don't really see a trade working here unless it's a 3-way trade where Toronto sends picks/prospects to a 3rd team for a 3C that's sent to San Jose for Braun.
Fair enough I will take this as fact given I have only read that he played RD often in articles. I know he has at points with the Marlies but we have only had 2 RHD on the marlies the past 2 years. Also, the bottom 4 Atlantic teams would probably be interested in that.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Fair enough I will take this as fact given I have only read that he played RD often in articles. I know he has at points with the Marlies but we have only had 2 RHD on the marlies the past 2 years. Also, the bottom 4 Atlantic teams would probably be interested in that.

Ah, I see. Well those articles are incorrect. His first 2 seasons he was basically always paired with Troy Donnay (Dermott-Donnay) and in his 3rd season he played with TBL prospect Erik Cernak (Dermott-Cernak). Sometimes he played with CHI prospect Darren Raddysh (Dermott-Raddysh) but I legitimately do not remember Erie ever playing him at RD.

I do think he could possible be capable at it because of his puck handling abilities though.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Ah, I see. Well those articles are incorrect. His first 2 seasons he was basically always paired with Troy Donnay (Dermott-Donnay) and in his 3rd season he played with TBL prospect Erik Cernak (Dermott-Cernak). Sometimes he played with CHI prospect Darren Raddysh (Dermott-Raddysh) but I legitimately do not remember Erie ever playing him at RD.

I do think he could possible be capable at it because of his puck handling abilities though.
He played very limited time with Rielly as a RD this year and their success was insane. Just defnitely worth a look and it could stop a lot of trade rumours for Nylander for "X DEFENSEMAN" or just calm a few people down on HF.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
That's some real shallow thinking. Just because it's only four goals less doesn't mean that your team doesn't have room to improve defensively. And there's a big reason why the Sharks allowed only four less goals especially when the Leafs actually allowed less 5-on-5 and 3-on-3 than the Sharks. And it's because they allowed a lot more on their PK and in 5-on-6 against. Both things that Justin Braun would be a better option than anyone on the Leafs' right side currently. And honestly with the moves made and certain people like Thornton getting healthy, I have more confidence in the Sharks closing the gap in goals allowed 5-on-5 than I do the Leafs even maintaining that number or closing the gap in other ways to keep it as close as it was. You came within four goals allowed on a down year defensively for the Sharks and an up year for the Leafs. The previous two years saw a GA gap between the two teams of 33 and 34 goals respectively.

I didn't say the Leafs couldn't improve but geez as I suggested how many great Dmen did the Sharks have last year? Your thinking that PK doesn't count when analyzing good Dman is really shallow thinking.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I didn't say the Leafs couldn't improve but geez as I suggested how many great Dmen did the Sharks have last year? Your thinking that PK doesn't count when analyzing good Dman is really shallow thinking.

The Sharks only had three legitimate top four d-men on their team last year. Martin was their 4th but he got injured and wasn't the same when he came back into the lineup. Dillon can only play top four in short bursts. Ryan probably is a top four level player but when you're a rookie, the coach has a short leash on those types of players. And DeMelo just sucks. And no, my thinking isn't that PK doesn't count because the Sharks did better in that area than the Leafs in large part due to Braun's abilities. The Leafs did better at evens which of course counts but there are a myriad of reasons why and why one should believe the Sharks will vastly improve whereas the Leafs likely won't. If the Leafs got Braun or someone similar then they very well could because that's the area with the most opportunity for improvement.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Sharks have a need for a 3C. I'm assuming if Braun goes then we'd probably want something of that nature in return. I think he'd be a good add to Toronto.

Leafs obviously aren't moving Kadri in a Braun deal, and besides that we only really have Lindholm and Gauthier (still uncertain if he can be a regular NHLer) so we can't help out much in that sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad