Value of: Braun to TOR

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Hey Shark fans - heard you have both Karlsson AND Burns on the right side. Makes me wonder whether Braun has become more expendable? If that's the case, what would it take to acquire Braun? (Assuming fair value, not Wilson value)

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I posted a theoretical 3 team trade involving the Leafs and Braun in the Braun thread. The Sharks need a #3c more than anything. Kadri could work but I'm not sure if he wants to go from one situation where he's stuck in a third line role to another.

To TOR: Braun
To Minnesota: TOR 1st+Leivo+Carrick
To SJ: Coyle

If Minnesota isn't interested, a deal involving Kadri could work, but the Leafs would have to take on some salary going back their way since the Sharks won't have enough space to take him on. The Sharks don't have a whole lot of picks to trade but can add a middle prospect or two to make it work.

To TOR: Braun, Melker Karlsson, Filip Sandberg
To SJ: Kadri

Last edited:
Reactions: Crazy8oooo

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I posted a theoretical 3 team trade involving the Leafs and Braun in the Braun thread. The Sharks need a #3c more than anything. Kadri could work but I'm not sure if he wants to go from one situation where he's stuck in a third line role to another.

I have been told by many of my fellow Leafs fans that Braun is not a player you move a 1st for....

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

1st rounder for Braun? Yuck.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Most I'd give up is a 3rd+ a middling prospect. Braun is on the decline and is a bottom pair defender. 3.8 million cal wont be easy to absorb either unless we send someone out.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Leafs would probably max out at Carrick + 2nd. Could replace Carrick with a wing prospect like Bracco or something but I don't think Braun is worth a 1st.

San Jose needs to dumb some salary if they wish to sign Karlsson. 3.8M on a 3rd pairing D (albeit a good one) is still a waste. He's a good fit in Toronto but Leafs should not be trading first rounders. They need to develop these guys to fill out the lineup when we have to trade Johnsson, Kapanen, Brown etc when they need raises.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Braun would IMMEDIATELY become your best Defensive Defenseman, AND can be counted on for 25-30 points. Think about it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Braun would IMMEDIATELY become your best Defensive Defenseman, AND can be counted on for 25-30 points. Think about it.

People in your own fanbase have a different opinion of him. Did poorly last year, on the decline, held up by Vlasic.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
People in your own fanbase have a different opinion of him. Did poorly last year, on the decline, held up by Vlasic.

he was fine in the regular season.

Playoffs were a whole different story, but players can have bad playoffs and still be fine. Shouldn't tarnish his trade value at all.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
a cost controlled veteran 30point top 4 RHD is something that's worth trading a low 1st rounder for.
I agree, but you also added to other assets, not that Leivo or carrick are worth a lot, but it does add up.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
a cost controlled veteran 30point top 4 RHD is something that's worth trading a low 1st rounder for.

Kadri alone (or with cap dumps) would be overpayment however. I think Turris is a good benchmark. If a deal had to include Kadri, I would need included a third line centre at decent cost with some term / cost control to deal with the depth issues. Looking at san hoses roster, that would mean a third team would be necessary.

Some leaf fans still have a (very understandable) phobia of trading 1st round picks. I am not one of those fans. I would be comfortable trading a 18/19 1st and Carrick (which we'll say is worth a 5th) to alleviate depth concerns.

Sharks
1st 2019 (leafs)
Carrick

Leafs
Braun
5th 2019 (sharks)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

If Minnesota isn't interested, a deal involving Kadri could work, but the Leafs would have to take on some salary going back their way since the Sharks won't have enough space to take him on. The Sharks don't have a whole lot of picks to trade but can add a middle prospect or two to make it work.

To TOR: Braun, Melker Karlsson, Filip Sandberg
To SJ: Kadri

Why the actual f*** would Minnesota be interested in that

Reactions: CBJFan827

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Man Justin Braun just keeps getting more valuable by the minute, one could say Tanevesque

Leafs don't need a Justin Braun, they've got lot's of 5/6/7 guys

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018

Johnny Boychuk could come in and be TORs best defensive dman and score 30+ points too...Doesn't mean hes worth a 1st. Value is value

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017

Thought about it... and that's not saying much at all. Still not worth a 1st.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the Sharks are going to trade Braun, it's going to be with the intent of bringing in a center for their 3rd line. I don't think that kind of deal is out there and they have prospects they'll probably want to try out for that spot before looking to make a deal. Ideally, they should want to keep Braun for defensive depth. If they move Braun and have to slide Tim Heed into their bottom pairing and probably Radim Simek as their extra d-man, they're only moving their hole from a depth spot up front to a depth spot on the blue line.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
2nd and Carrick for Braun

or maybe

Gardiner for Braun and a 1st
Yuck. Adding a 1st to Braun (who's worth a 1st) for an offensive #3/4, who'd end up on our bottom pairing. No way he'd play with Burns or Karlsson. And he wouldn't fit with Heed, who would be our bottom pair RHD if Braun goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->