Player Discussion Brandon Sutter. Defensive Center. One More Year Remaining at $4.375 AAV (w/ M-NTC).

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
33 years old and cannot train for 1 whole season. It’s going to be a hard road for him if he wants to play in the NHL again.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
33 years old and cannot train for 1 whole season. It’s going to be a hard road for him if he wants to play in the NHL again.

If he IS healthy and absent some major physical decline, there's no reason why he can't secure a PTO and play his way onto the team. Heck, I'll be in favour of the Canucks giving him a PTO to showcase himself. He's an upgrade over Dowling and the like.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
If he IS healthy and absent some major physical decline, there's no reason why he can't secure a PTO and play his way onto the team. Heck, I'll be in favour of the Canucks giving him a PTO to showcase himself. He's an upgrade over Dowling and the like.
34 and after taking a year off after experiencing the effect of long covid? I’m gonna pass

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
34 and after taking a year off after experiencing the effect of long covid? I’m gonna pass

It's a PTO. I'm not saying give him the Petan treatment. If he can't secure a PTO with another team, I think the Canucks should extend him the courtesy of a PTO. At the end of the day, he caught COVID while being a Canuck. I think the players would be happy to see Sutter back on the ice. The rest would be up to him but the Canucks have no obligation to sign him.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He will probably get a PTO, I don’t doubt that. I just wonder how much muscle atrophy he will have because he can’t do any intense workout due to long Covid symptoms. Like I said, it’s going to be an uphill battle because he will need to workout like mad just to get back to where he was to get a PTO.

I think it’s time to move on, I rather we spend the money betting on younger guys(not Dowling) who aren’t getting a chance or minutes. I don’t see us making a big playoff push next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dab

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He will probably get a PTO, I don’t doubt that. I just wonder how much muscle entropy he will have because he can’t do any intense workout due to long Covid symptoms. Like I said, it’s going to be an uphill battle because he will need to workout like mad just to get back to where he was to get a PTO.

I think it’s time to move on, I rather we spend the money betting on younger guys(not Dowling) who aren’t getting a chance or minutes. I don’t see us making a big playoff push next season.

I get that and no disagreement here. But Sutter has missed significant time in the past and I think if he's healthy and his skating is still there, he can play himself to an NHL job. Obviously, I'm not talking about a situation where he has lost 50% of his aerobic capacity. He is 6'3" with a slender build. He never really relied on his strength to begin with. Just googling, it seems that if you spent a year not lifting you can regain your muscles in about 3 months time.

Joe Rogan

Jun 21, 2019
The guy was a soft floater with no accountability, coasting on his last name and throwing teammates under the bus while only giving out an honest effort when the season was all but over. And that was before he got the debilitating covid aftereffects. This guy encapsulated the Jim Benning era to a tee, good riddance.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
The guy was a soft floater with no accountability, coasting on his last name and throwing teammates under the bus while only giving out an honest effort when the season was all but over. And that was before he got the debilitating covid aftereffects. This guy encapsulated the Jim Benning era to a tee, good riddance.

Yeah, I'd like to move on, and that was even before he got COVID.

Feb 20, 2013

Horrendous take. Sutter was the best player in the Canucks' lineup for long stretches in the last couple seasons (remember the complaints about him costing us lottery odds?). He is criminally underrated in these parts and would have been a great player to have this year both to solidify the bottom 6 and as a trade chip at the deadline.

Such insinuations about his work ethic have no merit and deserve no place in the current conversation given what he is going through.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Horrendous take. Sutter was the best player in the Canucks' lineup for long stretches in the last couple seasons (remember the complaints about him costing us lottery odds?). He is criminally underrated in these parts and would have been a great player to have this year both to solidify the bottom 6 and as a trade chip at the deadline.

Such insinuations about his work ethic have no merit and deserve no place in the current conversation given what he is going through.

What on earth.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Funny thing is...Brandon Sutter precisely fits the criteria of a player that coach Boudreau would lean on...Despite being a bit lethargic at times, he's a responsible player...easily better than Dicky or Chiasson.

Highly doubt he would have been a healthy scratch under Boudreau.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Don't remember 2017-18? I don't blame you. It seems a lifetime ago.

I remember Sutter's performance that year very clearly, and mentioned it here like 2 days ago. For that one (or 3/4 I guess) of a season he did a good job as a #3C and had a nice little offensive finish ... to get to 26 points. He was not 'the best player on the team', and certainly not 'for long stretches' and that was 4 seasons ago, not 'in the last couple years'.

Sutter was here for 7 years. For the other 6 years, for the overwhelming majority of the time he was either injured or crap or an outright liability because of the way he was mis-used by the coaching staff.

Reactions: mossey3535 and quat

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
For the good and bad, Brandon Sutter represented the bad of the Jim Benning era to a tee. It sucks that he got long covid health issues but at this point he should consider retirement.

Reactions: mossey3535

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I remember Sutter's performance that year very clearly, and mentioned it here like 2 days ago. For that one (or 3/4 I guess) of a season he did a good job as a #3C and had a nice little offensive finish ... to get to 26 points. He was not 'the best player on the team', and certainly not 'for long stretches' and that was 4 seasons ago, not 'in the last couple years'.

Sutter was here for 7 years. For the other 6 years, for the overwhelming majority of the time he was either injured or crap or an outright liability because of the way he was mis-used by the coaching staff.

Hang on a sec...was Sutter ever on the wing with the twins???

Reactions: mossey3535

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Had he not been long-hauling, perhaps JB doesn't sign Dickenson as 'insurance', but unfortunately for him, his career is over. He can't even do the lung tests right now, he isn't coming back, especially not at 34 with a year off. His new cap hit was bury-able for the most part so I didn't mind his re-signing last year, not knowing at the time he was a long-hauler. He probably would have hovered just above replacement level on the 4th line.

This was a case of JB targeting the wrong guy due to reputation and name recognition, which is a mistake he repeated throughout his reign. Let's hope that pro-scouting will be vastly improved with our 'knights of the round table' group of AGMs.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Not sure why he was signed to a 1 year deal. Stupid management. Did sutter tell benning he was good to go? I swear jr and Alvin are probably scratching their heads.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
A player is not going to deny a long term deal with highly comfortable salary. That is on the management and I find bizarre it gets primarily blamed on anyone else.

Neither was he an absolute passenger either, despite being a defensive forward with couple miracle games here and there. I clearly remember people being kinda happy with the one year deal that would get the team a 4th liner, with the expectation that covid would cause some issues. Again, on the management to take the risk that the long term effects linger for almost a year now. A professional athlete in the biggest league in their sport won't just... quit because a relatively new disease situation has potential for a career ending result.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Sutter's stick is where pucks go to die........

137 assists in close to 800 games.... wow.... a black hole of offense.
He had a decent shot (could score goals) back before his body gave out due the cumulative effect of all his injuries. Interestingly, given that he's a center, had zero playmaking ability. Still, on the defensive side of things (again back before his body gave out) was quite solid defensively (as a center). Just don't expect alot of goals from his wingers (as you said, that's where pucks go to die - Sutter's stick).

Reactions: KingofSurrey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad