Player Discussion Brandon Sutter. Defensive Center. One More Year Remaining at $4.375 AAV (w/ M-NTC).

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
No more than 50% of any player’s contract can be retained, no matter how many teams are retaining. I’m surprised a hockey journalist would overlook this.

I don't think this is right.

Pittsburgh traded Rob Scuderi to Chicago and retained 33%. Then Chicago traded Scuderi to Los Angeles while retaining 50%.

All on the same contract. He was originally making $3,375,000 but by the time LA had him he was making $1,130,625.

Reactions: Peen

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I don't think this is right.

Pittsburgh traded Rob Scuderi to Chicago and retained 33%. Then Chicago traded Scuderi to Los Angeles while retaining 50%.

All on the same contract. He was originally making $3,375,000 but by the time LA had him he was making $1,130,625.
You might be right. Looking into it.

EDIT: What the f***? You're right. I was 99 percent sure this was explicitly forbidden.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
More recently Robin Lehner was traded from Chicago, 50% retained, to Toronto who then flipped him to Vegas, while retaining 44%.

So Lehner went from making 5m to 1.4m after retention by Chicago and Toronto. That's more then 50% retained.

Reactions: bandwagonesque

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'm sure the Oilers would be interested in Sutter as a playoff rental...makes a lot of sense for them. And the Sabres are stuck using 35-year Carter Hutton after injuries to their goaltenders.....they've been linked to Holtby.

Where there's smoke, there's probably fire. But I have zero confidence that Jimbo will be able to put anything together with these teams. He either 'runs out of time' or 'runs out of ideas'.
Oilers have no cap space to take on Sutter as a rental without shipping equivalent cap hit coming back.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
If I'm reading the trade tree right, it looks like Toronto was paid a 5th round pick to retain 1.1m (while the season was on hold prior to the bubble.)

Which doesn't seem like a big price to pay to maneuver a deal. You just need to find a team with the cap space and willingness. I'm surprised too it hasn't happened more.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If I'm reading the trade tree right, it looks like Toronto was paid a 5th round pick to retain 1.1m (while the season was on hold prior to the bubble.)

Which doesn't seem like a big price to pay to maneuver a deal. You just need to find a team with the cap space and willingness. I'm surprised too it hasn't happened more.
Of course it was Toronto who did it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You might be right. Looking into it.

EDIT: What the f***? You're right. I was 99 percent sure this was explicitly forbidden.

I thought it was, too. Surprised more teams haven't taken advantage of it.

A team like TB could just pay extra to route a player through Ottawa or Detroit on their way there, and basically eliminate the cap hit for the entire asset.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Bump. Saw someone mention him in the postgame thread and remembered he existed. Will Sutter ever play another game for us?

dont know and don’t particularly care if he does at this point. I wish him well in his recovery from long covid and hope he can eventually fully recover. Having your lungs stuck together sucks

Reactions: alternate

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

A team like TB could just pay extra to route a player through Ottawa or Detroit on their way there, and basically eliminate the cap hit for the entire asset.
because it costs a lot of assets to do. You need to give up xyz for a player and then like a 2nd rounder for another team to take like 1-2M if it’s a like a 1 year thing and more picks if longer.

probably super hard to pull it during the pandemic when revenue is down. Like taking on extra cap cost money and we know teams are hurting. Can you imagine the coyotes taking on extra cap while playing in front of max 3.5K fans a night and being a part of revenue sharing?

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

It did happen a few times in the last few years. It is a 50% retain max for each trade (correct me if I am wrong, I remember it is 75% TTL max.). I remember one team paid 25% on a player after 2 trades in one instance. Why haven't many teams do this? It is because it costs pick and prospects.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I doubt him and Gaudette will be best of buds anytime soon.

Sucks to have his career likely ended like this.

Wish him the best in life, his career as a Canuck was mostly a disaster.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I am looking forward to hearing from Sutter and I hope that having "long covid" isn't affecting his every day life. He was able to come back from Covid and play like everyone else last season. Then this season he's been out.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I doubt him and Gaudette will be best of buds anytime soon.

Sucks to have his career likely ended like this.

Wish him the best in life, his career as a Canuck was mostly a disaster.
His body just gave out (vs a guy like Loui E who just checked out mentally while counting his millions). I may have hated the trade but Sutter did give us I think a couple seasons of ok to solid play.

edit: though it still bothers me to this day Willie’s use of Sutter initially (that’s on the coach not Sutter). Putting him with the Sedins and leaving Vrbata with no suitable center. Not to mention making sophomore Horvat take the tough defensive assignments.

Reactions: sting101

lawrence

May 19, 2012
On Reddit it was mentioned that he is unlikely to make a return this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad