Confirmed with Link: Brady Tkachuk - The decider: signs 3 year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Like being nasty is a skill now))) The kid is at best the third line player on any team. Zadina is a generational talent winger.
tenor.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Lol at generational talent

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah, I thought Tkachuk had a pretty good WJC but also recognize he hasn't looked as good since then.

I'm of the opinion that the goal production between Tkachuk and Zadina going forward could resemble that tournament with Zadina generally scoring 2x that of Tkachuk.

Everything I've read suggests Brady only got better and more consistent in the second half of the season at BU. To say he hasnt looked good since the WJC is an odd statement. The idea that Brady didn't have a good season in the NCAA is flat out wrong, he had a great year as a freshman and perhaps was a little bit unlucky. I get the concern that he only scored 8 goals but the only one's you'll see questioning his scoring touch is fans who dont know any better. Everything you'll find on the player is that he is a good finisher. He's not going to be one to beat a goalie from distance, like Zadina would but that wont prevent him from consistently scoring 20+ goals. He's going to score his goals from the crease and the slot and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Mike Hoffman, who likely has a top 5 shot in the league, scored 22 goals last year in 82 games. Anders Lee and Jason Zucker scored 40 and 33 respectively.

You don't need to have a "scorer's touch" or a high end shot to score goals. You just need the ability to get to the net and at least an average set of hands.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
You’re actually right about the owner at the table. As for the owner sitting in on talks between gms. That is weird. We don’t k ow if it’s true though

Sens owners have always sat at the draft table. As mentioned, unless one is at that same table, it’s next to impossible to know the type of exchange that takes place between owner and GM during that time.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If we re-sign EK, B. Tkachuk would be a monstrous complementary piece, a real difficult player and one you need to succeed with and he'll be amazing for us.

If we trade EK though, lol Tkachuk is going to get destroyed since everyone is gonna expect him to play an elite skill game. No matter what.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Mike Hoffman, who likely has a top 5 shot in the league, scored 22 goals last year in 82 games. Anders Lee and Jason Zucker scored 40 and 33 respectively.

You don't need to have a "scorer's touch" or a high end shot to score goals. You just need the ability to get to the net and at least an average set of hands.

Mark Stone has a pretty good shot from the slot, but he doesn't laser them by goalies like Hoffman could. But he scores a lot from getting in those scoring areas. And Stone is more of a playmaker, like Tkachuk. Brady will get to the front of the net a ton so if he plays alongside Stone and/or Duchene; he'll be found a lot and eventually have the strength to fend off defenders in tight.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I think once hockey starts up again, people are going to

a) Be surprised that Brady Tkachuk is better than a 3rd liner

and

b) Understand why Zadina dropped in the draft
I don’t think anybody in here thinks Tkachuk is going to be a third line grinder.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
If we re-sign EK, B. Tkachuk would be a monstrous complementary piece, a real difficult player and one you need to succeed with and he'll be amazing for us.

If we trade EK though, lol Tkachuk is going to get destroyed since everyone is gonna expect him to play an elite skill game. No matter what.

Isn't Tkachuk's agent also the agent for Stone and EK? Also isn't Tkachuk's agent Keith Tkachuk's brother-in=law? Maybe drafting Tkachuk somehow ends up playing a role in keeping EK and Stone long term.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I don’t think anybody in here thinks Tkachuk is going to be a third line grinder.

That is exactly what FQL has been arguing this whole time. He thinks we draft Zack Smith with the 4th overall pick. He even thinks that Tkachuk's highest upside is Patrick Maroon.

Reactions: derriko

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
That is exactly what FQL has been arguing this whole time. He thinks we draft Zack Smith with the 4th overall pick. He even thinks that Tkachuk's highest upside is Patrick Maroon.
I believe FQL was referring to Tkachuk being a complimentary big top six winger like Maroon. Not sure tho.

I personally think he’s going to be something like David Backes. Which is not a bad player at all. Around 40-50 points. I would have hoped for more with the #4 pick IMO.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I believe FQL was referring to Tkachuk being a complimentary big top six winger like Maroon. Not sure tho.

I personally think he’s going to be something like David Backes. Which is not a bad player at all. Around 40-50 points. I would have hoped for more with the #4 pick IMO.

That is actual pretty close to the norm for 4th overall.
https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

Using data from 1990 to 2013 they found that the average 4th overall pick ends up being somewhere between a top 9 forward/top 6 d and a top 6 forward/top 4 d. From the data they evaluated 54.2% become a top 6 f/ top 4 d and 25% become a 4th liner or worse. Only 83.3% of players drafted 4th overall from 1990 to 2013 played 100 or more NHL games in their career.

Generational, Elite and even First line/Top pairing D are not even the average for the first overall pick let alone picks in the top five. It seems pretty clear that there aren't well established methodologies for selecting elite or generational players in the draft. Any scout, head of scouting or GM that could consistently do that would be highly sought after.

Most teams are more likely to pick busts when they take those swings for the supposed "better" player than to pick a elite or generational talent. It certainly happens from time to time but arguably that has more to do with luck than competency at this point. Maybe in the future the methodologies will improve and it will become easier to discern and predict the upside that prospects actually achieve.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

one of the problems ottawa has had for a couple of years is an inability to get to the dirty areas....and those dirty areas are where the majority of goals are scored in the NHL. Hoffman never went there. pretty much every goal he ever scored was a beauty. but does it matter what the goal looks like or whether it goes in?

Hoffman and Turris wouldn't / couldn't play in those areas. they didn't have the frames to survive doing it.

Look at KT. the dude scored 500+ and most of them were dirty. I'll take a dirty player with a nose for the net over a skill dripping dangler wiring it from the ringettte line every day of the week.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If his development is rushed this is a likely possibility.

If they take their time with him there is little to no chance this happens, I agree.

So essentially its on the organization now.

I do wonder if the fear of the Tkachuk Zadina situation for sens fans resonates from Lazar Mantha. It has some similarities.

Reactions: derriko

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
one of the problems ottawa has had for a couple of years is an inability to get to the dirty areas....and those dirty areas are where the majority of goals are scored in the NHL. Hoffman never went there. pretty much every goal he ever scored was a beauty. but does it matter what the goal looks like or whether it goes in?

Hoffman and Turris wouldn't / couldn't play in those areas. they didn't have the frames to survive doing it.

Look at KT. the dude scored 500+ and most of them were dirty. I'll take a dirty player with a nose for the net over a skill dripping dangler wiring it from the ringettte line every day of the week.

I'm hoping for Tkachuk to have a bit of Holmstrom's impact in the slot. Be a menace in front of the goalie that the oppositions D just can't get out of there. I think when you get a guy like that causing havoc in front of the net, it makes it a lot easier for guys like Hoffman to score those goals from a distance too.

The truth is you need all sorts of threats; having a guy that can score from a distance opens up the dirty areas, having a menace in the slot opens up the high slot. There a place for both types in this league imo.

Reactions: bert and Newgates59

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Lee scores exactly how Brady does . By parking his big butt in front of the net and cashing in on rebounds . Brady can do the same and get 20.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's

You are understating Lee and Zuckers ability here. Also Hoffman hit ~1 million posts and crossbars last season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And the season before.

I don't think it's "unlucky", maybe he's just in general not as accurate as he could be when picking corners.
Also a bit of causation issue here; he hits posts because he picks corners, likely more frequently than the average shooter. Shooting from further away like he does probably doesn't help either with the goalie cutting off more angles and really only leaving corners open. He'd likely hit fewer posts if he was in tight more often when shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad