Confirmed with Link: Brady Tkachuk - The decider: signs 3 year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I never said he'd make the team out of camp, or that it's even what I think is best for him (thought he shoulda stayed at BU fwiw) just that put in the right situation 35 points is an absolutely reachable goal.
35 in the A is a reachable goal. 35 in the NHL would be an incredible feat for someone like Tkachuk at 19 on a bottom feeder like the Sens.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tkachuk playing with TSN's 44th overall top prospect Jordan Greenway is holding him back. Got it.

How is this in any way a rebutal to SOA's point that their respective context was different and as a result it's not so simple as comparing stats?

I mean, that's before even getting into the fact that Mathew's linemates were 3rd (Dvorak) and 6th (Marner) on TSN's list the season he played in London with them or that Greenway was playing outside of his natural position on that line.

I also think your later claim that he came in and carried his line with Frolik and Backlund is a bit of a stretch, as both put up pretty much identical numbers the year bofore playing with Colborne, who's production in that situation was nearly identical to Tkachuk's.

Nobody is suggesting that Brady was held back, or that Matt was carried, just that their situations were not equally condusive to producing offensively. That's about as factual a statement as you can get in a subjective conversation as this.

Wrt whether Brady will produce if he plays in Ottawa, that will likely depend on the role he's played in. If it's bottom 6, he's got little chance to match Matt's production (unless we get a situation like when Hoffman Stone and Lazar all broke in on the same line). If it's in the top 6, imo there's a real chance he could put up good numbers, particularly if he's with either of Stone or Duchene.

Having said that, I think it's best for the team to let his ELC slide a year, so I don't see him playing more than 9 games, and I don't think playing in the CHL or AHL will hurt him, so I'm fine with that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
35 in the A is a reachable goal. 35 in the NHL would be an incredible feat for someone like Tkachuk at 19 on a bottom feeder like the Sens.

Disagree, as bottom feeders typically are the teams where top prospects get the required icetime needed to reach offensive goals.

On Ottawa, there's a real chance he gets 1st unit PP time, top 6 mins too. That doesn't really exist on a lot of top teams. Our lack of depth is exactly why he could get plenty of support, where as a deeper team might relagate him to play with 3rd liners or 4th liners.

The counter argument is Boucher and steak.

Reactions: derriko

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Our entire top-six paced at 35+ point pace last year. If Brady plays the entire season next to one of Duchene or Stone I'd bet he's (at least) right around that range.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
care to elaborate ?

Sure ill just copy and paste my previous replies in this thread on the 11th page.

All of those players are goal scorers first. Brady Tkachuk is not. His slick hands and ability to control the puck while fending off the defender are the similarities to Todd Bertuzzis game. He is nothing like Lemieux stylistically. I agree Bertuzzi isnt exactly bang on but these comparisons are all power goal scoring wingers not play makers. Brady wont be as heavy as Bertuzzi but he is the same height.

His skating is also very good already for a big man, its going to take time but he will be very strong in this department once developed. People around here really seem to not understand the raw development of large players. It takes time, thats why the sens need to take their time with him. Brady while being an agitator is not a coward like Claude Lemieux. He will have more leadership skills and hopefully doesnt bounce around from team to team like Lemieux did.

His comparisons are limited because a power, play making winger is a relatively new type of player.

I just dont think they are very similar at this point and it has to do with me watching them both quite a bit. I thought Matthew looked NHL ready after watching the Memorial Cup, I thought he was Londons most impactful player. I did not see Brady dominate the same way when I watched him at both BU and in the World Juniors. I did however see a bigger frame and a stronger skater, which leads me to believe his end game will be better. Matthews skill in tight and particularily his shot are much more advanced at the same age. I think the best place to develop these skills is in Jr when Brady has more time and space to work on them. Once you get in the habit of going to the right places and scoring it translates to the next level.

From 18 to 19 in the OHL Todd Bertuzzi went from 28 goals to 54 goals, I know alot of posters dont like the comparison of the two but I really do. I see a frame on Brady that might end up being as filled out and big, I see the strong skating and the ability to score on the rush while making moves around D men. Not alot of big players possess these skills, its very unique id like to see what Brady can do in a full season in the OHL dominating physically. He can probably put on another 25 plus pounds. Learning to use his size and be bigger and stronger than his peers is important.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
How has he regressed? He looked pretty damn good in the Showcase so to use that as an example seems odd to me.

Also, I know all GMs are morons compared to the contributors here but if anyone fell it was everyone's darling Zadina who fell WAY down.

Let's at least try to keep facts as facts. Everyone will have their favourites and it is en vogue to shit on Brady but the kid is a 4th overall pick who a lot of people think projects to be a valuable player - let's keep the hyperbole on his greatness and his busting in check.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Disagree, as bottom feeders typically are the teams where top prospects get the required icetime needed to reach offensive goals.

On Ottawa, there's a real chance he gets 1st unit PP time, top 6 mins too. That doesn't really exist on a lot of top teams. Our lack of depth is exactly why he could get plenty of support, where as a deeper team might relagate him to play with 3rd liners or 4th liners.

The counter argument is Boucher and steak.

When Brady comes to town, he's gotta take Guy to The Keg

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I don't think Brady will score 35 points but I also don't think the Sens will basically ever have a player who plays their first pro season entirely in the NHL unless we draft a player top 2/3 out of the CHL. And even then, it's only a maybe.

Locks to make the team at F, for now, seem to be:
Duchene
Stone
Ryan
Dzingel
Boedker
Smith
Pageau
Pyatt

Fringe guys (non-waiver exempt):
Gaborik
Paajarvi
McCormick
Carey
Paul

Fringe guys (waiver exempt):
White
Chlapik
Brown
Tkachuk
Formenton
Batherson

I would guess at least 3 of White, Chlapik, Gaborik, Paajarvi, and McCormick will be on the opening night roster (with one of the last 3 being our 13th forward). I could see Formenton getting a few games again this year before being returned to junior, Brown will definitely play 20+ NHL games, Batherson will likely get some... there will be a lot of competition so unless Tkachuk really shows that he is an immediate top 6 player, I doubt he will be given a full-time role. Who knows, though? A good training camp could quickly change things.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
How has he regressed? He looked pretty damn good in the Showcase so to use that as an example seems odd to me.

He regressed in the same way that Bobby Ryan is fat/overweight.

That is to mean, he didn't. It's just the hysterical crowd being hysterical.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Tkachuk-Brown-Stone has the potential to be a very effective line, I’ve been saying this since we drafted Brady.

Heck, even a healthy Ryan instead of Stone on that line can do some damage imo.

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone seems like an above average first line if that’s the case.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Brady Tkachuk will realistically top out as a David Backes type of player in the NHL IMO. He’ll rack up around 40 - 50 points most years while providing intangibles - I think we could have done much better but whatever.

As for next year in the NHL, I can see him scoring around 30+ points, anything less would be a huge disappointment. People on here were saying that he’s better than Matthew and he had an immediate impact scoring 48 points.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Also, Matt hasn't scored over 50 points yet (close, with 48 and 49) in his career so while his numbers are very good for a player of his age, he is by no means carrying that line either. That line as a whole, is great with possession so I'm sure he helps with that but again that might just be all 3 players having good chemistry and working well together (like a lesser version of Marchessault - Karlsson - Smith)
Backlund is a good reliable player but Matthew Tkachuk is without a doubt carrying that line. He’s the one that stirs the drink. Also, you’re right that he hasn’t scored 50+ points yet but he only played 68 games this season and still scored more points than his linemates.

Do you think that Brady can be line driver in the top six and carry his line? I personally don’t think so and think he’ll end up as a complementary winger but we’ll have to wait and see.

Reactions: FolignoQuantumLeap

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I dunno, I think we should wait until Tkachuk plays some games for us before we decide what his points ceiling and floor are.

There are many examples of high and low scoring power forwards, we’ll just have to wait and see how he fairs. Once we see him play at camp we should get a better idea, and then the first 9 games if he makes it will give us a further glimpse.

Amongst his peers on the international stage he has not had problems putting up points, if he plays with some of our better players, which I think he’s destined to, he’s very likely to score at a similar clip. Playing on a top line with Stone and Duchene for example would almost be a guarantee to put up good numbers.

I think they’re gonna try him out in the top six, this should be good.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Backlund is a good reliable player but Matthew Tkachuk is without a doubt carrying that line. He’s the one that stirs the drink. Also, you’re right that he hasn’t scored 50+ points yet but he only played 68 games this season and still scored more points than his linemates.

Do you think that Brady can be line driver in the top six and carry his line? I personally don’t think so and think he’ll end up as a complementary winger but we’ll have to wait and see.

So was Colborne the one stirring the drink the year before Tkachuk's arrival or Sam Bennett?

Nobody is saying Brady will be as good this season as Matt currently is, the most I've seen is somebody suggest he could be as or more NHL ready.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
So was Colborne the one stirring the drink the year before Tkachuk's arrival or Sam Bennett?

Nobody is saying Brady will be as good this season as Matt currently is, the most I've seen is somebody suggest he could be as or more NHL ready.
What does Colborne and Bennett have to do with this? Even so, Bennett didn’t really play much with Joe in 15/16.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What does Colborne and Bennett have to do with this? Even so, Bennett didn’t really play much with Joe in 15/16.
No, they rotated in on a line with Frolik and Backlund, as in, the third piece on a line, a role that is currently filled by Tkachuck.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Boedker-Duchene-Stone
Dzingel-brown/white-Tkachuk

Top 6 that might look nice, optimistically maybe brown takes 2nd C and White slips onto the wing on one of the top 3 lines. Pageau is in his prime as a 3rd line centre, playing with white and pyatt could help dramatically.

If we are going to assume Karlsson is staying then I think he can get the puck the the above guys for an 80 points season again.

Even if Karlsson goes, Chabot will keep getting better, Wideman has signed and is going to shore up the third RD spot (until we sit him in the playoffs). Boro will obv be back, I want to see what wolanin can do in a full season, and Jaros is probably in next year at some time and never leaving the sens lineup imo.

You got your chlapiks and bathersons who might break the lineup. I think we might have an exciting year from a calder trophy winning perspective. Lots of rooks who could show up.
:)

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Also, I know all GMs are morons compared to the contributors here but if anyone fell it was everyone's darling Zadina who fell WAY down.

Let's at least try to keep facts as facts. Everyone will have their favourites and it is en vogue to **** on Brady but the kid is a 4th overall pick who a lot of people think projects to be a valuable player - let's keep the hyperbole on his greatness and his busting in check.
Brady looked very pedestrian in the showcase. Was out shinned by a lot of other 2018 first rounders like Hughes, Smith, Dobson and Lundestrom. Farabee looks to be close to surpassing him as well. I guess take you pick on how you wanna frame that. The other guys are progressing faster or Tkachuk has regressed or stagnated in his development since January. Might just be that without Mittlestadt, Tkachuk looks pretty average.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He regressed in the same way that Bobby Ryan is fat/overweight.

That is to mean, he didn't. It's just the hysterical crowd being hysterical.

Pretty sure that fat comment was made in relation to other pro athletes.

Aside from his size Ryan is a creampuff. Slow, easily gassed, gets injured easily, and can't stay on his feet.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tkachuk is not the third piece on that line.

I'm not ranking guys, I'm listing them, and since a line requires 3 forwards, and two are constants (Frolik and Backlund were together in both cases) the last player named is the third one. Honestly... what are you even trying to argue at this point?

The point I was making is that in Tkachuk's first year, he basically stepped into Colburn/Bennett's spot on that line, and nothing really changed *to be fair, he did add the massive pest element. This past season he took a step forward, but that's largely irrelevant in a conversation that started about whether or not Brady is as nhl ready as Matt was.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I'm not ranking guys, I'm listing them, and since a line requires 3 forwards, and two are constants (Frolik and Backlund were together in both cases) the last player named is the third one. Honestly... what are you even trying to argue at this point?

The point I was making is that in Tkachuk's first year, he basically stepped into Colburn/Bennett's spot on that line, and nothing really changed *to be fair, he did add the massive pest element. This past season he took a step forward, but that's largely irrelevant in a conversation that started about whether or not Brady is as nhl ready as Matt was.
He’s the best player on that line. Thankfully we can agree on that.

Anyways, what I’m saying is that Brady won’t have the same impact as Matthew had during his rookie season. He’s nhl ready just like his brother but that doesn’t mean he’ll have the same impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad