Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part VII

Would you sign Brady Tkachuk at 8x8?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Gord on Wilson on TSN 1200 today saying that it appears to 3 offers on the table, a 3, 6 and 8 year contract.

I am paraphrasing here, but from the sounds of it he says its not the bonus money that's keeping it from being signed but the structure of the bonus money. It made it seem like the sens want that bonus money to be paid a few years from now instead of early in the contract.

I have tried to grab the link, but getting a 404 message on the TSN1200.ca website.
I know you're just paraphrasing but that's kind of confusing. Why would Brady object to being paid bonus money in what should be lighter years for escrow? Honestly, doesn't really sound like this guy wants to sign long term. Looks like they keep finding reasons why the deal doesn't work.

I don't have any experience negotiating big contracts but, I don't know, feels to me like his team keep finding obstacles to throw in the way so they can get a short term deal like they've always wanted all along. Nothing about this process sounds like commitment from Brady's side. Every time we hear something about this contract, it's the Brady side holding up the deal or being unhappy about something.

Maybe it's from years of working in hospitality and having those nightmare tables who are never happy about anything no matter what you do for them but this thing is really annoying me.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Jesus some of you really are grumpy old men with a bone to pick with anyone under 30 lol.

It's a negotiation and Brady himself has very little to do with how arduous the process has been. Regardless, the fact is he IS the captain and we desperately need his leadership and shit disturbing ways to compete, especially this season. Dorion and Melnyk need to get it tf done.
I think this ends when Brady nuts up and tells his family he is signing here long term. His buds are getting some game action tonight and it’s going to drive him nuts not getting on the ice.

Reactions: OgieO

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gord on Wilson on TSN 1200 today saying that it appears to 3 offers on the table, a 3, 6 and 8 year contract.

I am paraphrasing here, but from the sounds of it he says its not the bonus money that's keeping it from being signed but the structure of the bonus money. It made it seem like the sens want that bonus money to be paid a few years from now instead of early in the contract.

I have tried to grab the link, but getting a 404 message on the TSN1200.ca website.
That doesn't make much sense, Tkachuk is far better off getting bonuses in years that aren't 20% escrow with little hope of getting any of that back. Bonus money weighted towards later in the contract is to his benefit

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
Oh ya?

I'm not aware of that one but would be interested in a listen. I'll see if I can find it on my lunch today.

It just seems to be the audio version of the interview that we've already read the quotes from 10+ days ago. A link to it is currently the pinned tweet on Friedman's Twitter. That link wasn't working for me earlier, but I listened via Spotify.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It just seems to be the audio version of the interview that we've already ready the quotes from 10+ days ago. A link to it is currently the pinned tweet on Friedman's Twitter. That link wasn't working for me earlier, but I listened via Spotify.
Hmm. Well Ill see if I can find a full audio to listen to somewhere since I don't subscribe to Spotify or any other streaming service that might have it.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I know you're just paraphrasing but that's kind of confusing. Why would Brady object to being paid bonus money in what should be lighter years for escrow? Honestly, doesn't really sound like this guy wants to sign long term. Looks like they keep finding reasons why the deal doesn't work.

I don't have any experience negotiating big contracts but, I don't know, feels to me like his team keep finding obstacles to throw in the way so they can get a short term deal like they've always wanted all along. Nothing about this process sounds like commitment from Brady's side. Every time we hear something about this contract, it's the Brady side holding up the deal or being unhappy about something.

Maybe it's from years of working in hospitality and having those nightmare tables who are never happy about anything no matter what you do for them but this thing is really annoying me.
Don't fret about it. About a year ago I got to see two different CBA negotiations second hand. While not exactly the same, a CBA covering thousands of employees is just as complex if not more complex than a high-stakes NHL contract. What I saw:

1. Firstly, everyone is really prepared, and they're all professionals. This is their job and they know more than the public and they're very knowledgeable. Obviously Dorion has been doing this for a while so he's experienced, and Brady had good agents and his family. They will know all the comparable contracts. I can see things going off the rails when they aren't even talking the same language when it comes to figures due to expeirence. This is what happened with Duclair. He wasn't knowledgeable and professional and that's why he likely missed out on some money. He got extremely lucky it half-way worked out for him in Florida.

2. Secondly, not one wants to do anything that might hurt their position but they constantly want to make the other party aware of their leverage. This would be similar to leaks to the media, interviews, and posturing. They don't want to strike, holdout, or go through with any work action. That might cost them leverage (for instance if the team does well without Brady then they lose leverage). Equally, they also don't want the other party to consider it an empty threat. If the Sens don't think Brady might actually hold out, how can they ever be sure they got the best deal and used all their leverage?

3. Third, both sides will try to gain traction with third parties. In our case, the fans/customers. In the CBA negotiations it was the public. Both sides want to use the people with the real power to push the other side into caving. Both sides are trying this. The Sens are leaking contract numbers to make sure that the fans know they're being reasonable, and the Tkachuks are leaking the bonus structure/NMC clause to try and gain support. Although Melnyk has a terrible reputation, so do the Tkachuks (at least when it comes to negotiations). No one should be "going to bat" for either side here from what I've seen.

4. These things get resolved based on pressure points and changes to positions. Pressure Points are dates when things change for one side. Training camp was one, the start of the season is the next, and December 1 is the third. Also they can get resolved when circumstances change with regard to leverage. If Buffalo offered the Sens Eichel for Tkachuk, this could change things, equally if the Tkachuks decided that ownership was never going to give the Tkachuks the best money over Brady's career and it was best to accept a short term loss to get as close to UFA as possible.

I don't know where we're at, from the outside it looks bad, but it could all be posturing. It doesn't sound good when the negotiations shift to short term deals, but it seems like Dorion is pushing back hard by offering minimal compensation on any short term deal which makes me hopeful that they're holding the line on something longterm.

I don't think anyone will "cave", but I do think a pressure point might have to be reached because both sides have something to lose by caving. The Sens have to many young players they need to sign to long-term deals and the Tkachuks have Matthew's contract coming up as well, they can't seem weak and miss out on money either.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Vancouver can go 3 years with Pettersson because it's a prime UFA destination and it's likely he'll re-sign there when his bridge is up.

We do the same with Brady and it's the Stone situation all over again. Wilson better be wrong about the team actually putting a 3 year term in front of him or we're in trouble.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
Here’s the Gord Wilson audio

In The Box - Hour 4

Starts at around 20:18.

Thanks. That was pretty much all totally speculative. Gord spitballing stuff more or less. The only concrete thing he said was that he was "led to beleive" that nobody is bringing up signing bonus anymore. Whether that meant Sens have agreed to some kind of bonus, or camp Tkachuck has given up asking for one, wasn't clear.

Reactions: Yak

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hearing rumblings about something being planned for Monday.

Literally passed along as they were leaving for the weekend, so won’t hear anything else until they are back.
upload_2021-10-1_17-34-22.png

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's here on Sportsnet - but like I said, wasn't working for me:

Darnell Nurse, Matthew Tkachuk & Andrew Mangiapane | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca
Thanks, worked for me. Somehow, even though looking back you had said specifically, I hadn't clued in to this being the original interview with Matt.

I have to stand by my comment and I don't think it's a criticism of Brady or all that different from a lot of players, money is just a bigger factor than anything else and those terms have to be met or they look to take their services elsewhere without looking back.

Reactions: 5ive4Fighting
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad