Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 5 - Management Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I never said that. And I wrote four words so any issues comprehending them are pretty sad.

But here's an example of someone gaining almost 3 lbs of lean body mass a week: The Novice Effect | Mark Rippetoe

Haha rip is hilarious. Smart guy though. Brady will likely be put on a hybrid periodized program of hypertrophy, limit strength, and speed strength in a block by block fashion.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Sens should hire Chris Neil to help these guys with protecting themselves, Tkachuk could use a few pointers in that regard but then again his Dad & brother probably work with him on that.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
A lot of genetics and body / muscle fiber composition determine this too.

Tkachuk will gain muscle into his 20s naturally. He can also gain strength without necessarily adding mass

This! He is a kid and will get stronger much faster than a fully mature Male even if he doesnt gain a lot of mass.

By the time he is 24 and has really filled out then we will see him really impose his will.

Not worried about his workout regiment at all...still hoping both Tkachuk bros go to worlds.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I never said that. And I wrote four words so any issues comprehending them are pretty sad.

But here's an example of someone gaining almost 3 lbs of lean body mass a week: The Novice Effect | Mark Rippetoe
That example is nonsense and you proved my point. I said anyone telling you otherwise is trying to sell you something.
And I actually have that book and app on my iPhone. Lol

His example is misguided as well as it’s all based on the “dirty bulk”. Gaining double digit lbs of body fat to bulk up? That’s insane. It’s also one cherry picked example. I can do that as well.

My oldest is 16 and trains like crazy. I don’t know you, but unless you back squat over 350 lbs (bumper plates and oly bar, no machines) or deadlift 400 lbs, my kid is probably stronger than you. He eats almost 4000 clean calories a day and has 6% body fat. Even at that insane level of devotion, he’s only putting on about 2-3 lbs of muscle a month. Which is actually a really amazing rate that he should be happy with. If he hits a growth spurt, it will jump higher. It’s natural, all real world strength, no unnecessary flab.

My whole point in my original post is that Brady Tkachuk would benefit from taking the nearly 5 months of off-season to eat and strength train rather than try to cram in two months of training right before camp. If that viewpoint still has you upset, keep flaming away.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The Sens should hire Chris Neil to help these guys with protecting themselves, Tkachuk could use a few pointers in that regard but then again his Dad & brother probably work with him on that.
For me I want Chris Phillips to work with our blueline,teach them how to both take and give a hit along with how to win battles along the wall

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
That example is nonsense and you proved my point. I said anyone telling you otherwise is trying to sell you something.
And I actually have that book and app on my iPhone. Lol

His example is misguided as well as it’s all based on the “dirty bulk”. Gaining double digit lbs of body fat to bulk up? That’s insane. It’s also one cherry picked example. I can do that as well.

My oldest is 16 and trains like crazy. I don’t know you, but unless you back squat over 350 lbs (bumper plates and oly bar, no machines) or deadlift 400 lbs, my kid is probably stronger than you. He eats almost 4000 clean calories a day and has 6% body fat. Even at that insane level of devotion, he’s only putting on about 2-3 lbs of muscle a month. Which is actually a really amazing rate that he should be happy with. If he hits a growth spurt, it will jump higher. It’s natural, all real world strength, no unnecessary flab.

My whole point in my original post is that Brady Tkachuk would benefit from taking the nearly 5 months of off-season to eat and strength train rather than try to cram in two months of training right before camp. If that viewpoint still has you upset, keep flaming away.

Maybe your 16 year old should eat more. Skip the clean calories for just more calories and put on more muscle and fat. It's easier to lose fat than to build muscle.

And you're saying your kid is putting on 3 lbs of muscle a month? That defeats your original statement right there of no more than 1-2 lbs per month. And he's putting that weight on after the novice effect of getting his lifts well past the novice level. But let me guess, your kid is naturally gifted; unlike a 6'3" world class athlete such as Brady Tkachuk.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Maybe your 16 year old should eat more. Skip the clean calories for just more calories and put on more muscle and fat. It's easier to lose fat than to build muscle.

And you're saying your kid is putting on 3 lbs of muscle a month? That defeats your original statement right there of no more than 1-2 lbs per month. And he's putting that weight on after the novice effect of getting his lifts well past the novice level. But let me guess, your kid is naturally gifted; unlike a 6'3" world class athlete such as Brady Tkachuk.
No, you can’t sensibly eat more than 4000 calories a day. The notion of bulking up and cutting is old fashioned. It isn’t necessary and puts your body through unnecessary stress while also possibly screwing up your hormones. My kid is gaining slightly more than 1-2 lbs a month because he is also still growing. And it’s not the novice effect with my son as he’s been working out since he was 10.
Brady Tkachuk already has all the hockey knowledge and skill. He needs to not fall down so much and gain muscle mass, protect his joints, etc. My whole point is that a full off season of training will do wonders for Tkachuk. You disagree. That’s fine. There is absolutely no need to get personal.

Reactions: Icelevel

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
No, you can’t sensibly eat more than 4000 calories a day. The notion of bulking up and cutting is old fashioned. It isn’t necessary and puts your body through unnecessary stress while also possibly screwing up your hormones. My kid is gaining slightly more than 1-2 lbs a month because he is also still growing. And it’s not the novice effect with my son as he’s been working out since he was 10.
Brady Tkachuk already has all the hockey knowledge and skill. He needs to not fall down so much and gain muscle mass, protect his joints, etc. My whole point is that a full off season of training will do wonders for Tkachuk. You disagree. That’s fine. There is absolutely no need to get personal.

I'm not getting personal. You just keep saying different things. You say you can't add more than 1-2 pounds a month of muscle. Then it transforms to 24 pounds in a year. But your son can gain 2-3 pounds a month. And now he only gains slightly more than 1-2 pounds a month. But that's after the novice effect, which allows for the best gains.

I'm just correcting your false statements. It's not personal even if you think your son is more capable of making gains than a genetically gifted elite athlete.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Brady just needs to cultivate mass. It's not rocket science. Give the guy a few chimmichangas and he should be good to go.

Reactions: BondraTime

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I'm not getting personal. You just keep saying different things. You say you can't add more than 1-2 pounds a month of muscle. Then it transforms to 24 pounds in a year. But your son can gain 2-3 pounds a month. And now he only gains slightly more than 1-2 pounds a month. But that's after the novice effect, which allows for the best gains.

I'm just correcting your false statements. It's not personal even if you think your son is more capable of making gains than a genetically gifted elite athlete.

a) 1-2 lbs per month (12 * 1-2) = 12-24 lbs per year (that is adult male, not growing boy who would be adding weight just due to growth)
b) those gains are lean muscle mass, not body weight gain (in a dirty bulk you can gain 10 lbs of body weight yet only 2-3 might be actual muscle)
c) I never once stated that my son was genetically gifted. What I did state was that he trains extremely hard and follows an incredibly high caloric intake. I'm really hoping that Brady Tkachuk is doing the same.
d) my son isn't having the 'novice effect' as he has been weight training since he was 10 years old. Training with weights is not a new stimulus that his body is reacting to, which would be how a normal person would react if they began weight training for the first time.

At any rate, the things I stated are all facts. I have not once contradicted myself and the math adds up. Feel free to disagree. And again, my point was that I believe that Brady Tkachuk would benefit from 4-5 months of strength training this off season.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
a) 1-2 lbs per month (12 * 1-2) = 12-24 lbs per year (that is adult male, not growing boy who would be adding weight just due to growth)
b) those gains are lean muscle mass, not body weight gain (in a dirty bulk you can gain 10 lbs of body weight yet only 2-3 might be actual muscle)
c) I never once stated that my son was genetically gifted. What I did state was that he trains extremely hard and follows an incredibly high caloric intake. I'm really hoping that Brady Tkachuk is doing the same.
d) my son isn't having the 'novice effect' as he has been weight training since he was 10 years old. Training with weights is not a new stimulus that his body is reacting to, which would be how a normal person would react if they began weight training for the first time.

At any rate, the things I stated are all facts. I have not once contradicted myself and the math adds up. Feel free to disagree. And again, my point was that I believe that Brady Tkachuk would benefit from 4-5 months of strength training this off season.

Your boy sounds like a beast, what is he training for? And how tall/heavy is he?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Your boy sounds like a beast, what is he training for? And how tall/heavy is he?
He is crazy strong but not big yet. He's only 5'9" but weighs between 175-180 lbs @ 6% body fat. He just loves working out and he's been doing Crossfit since a young age. Now he does Capital Strength program and a separate special program designed for explosiveness. Which actually works as he can dunk.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He is crazy strong but not big yet. He's only 5'9" but weighs between 175-180 lbs @ 6% body fat. He just loves working out and he's been doing Crossfit since a young age. Now he does Capital Strength program and a separate special program designed for explosiveness. Which actually works as he can dunk.
Fantastic. My guys is almost 18 and is 5'9" and about 165, pretty strong and fit, but definitely not 6% lol. Maybe about 16%. He likes his cookies lol

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna

Your son likely only recently started producing enough testosterone to make significant mass gains which explains the 1-2lbs typical monthly progress. That's very solid for a young teen. Peak testosterone is age 18-25 and this is where he can make big jumps in both strength and mass.

A macro measured bulk with good clean food has no magic number for caloric ceiling and no hormonal effect. All your body is doing is creating an anabolic response. I always did 12 week bulk, 12 week maintenance, repeat. Allows your body to acclimate the new weight it just put on. +/- a lb a week is a good rule of thumb for a bulk or a cut. You're right that rapid cycles like UFC fighters do are very hard on your body but that doesn't discredit the process that is tried and true for 50+ years

The concept is it's difficult gradually making slow progress forever. Your body wants to plateau. You also can't exert high intensity for months straight without fatigue. This is where periodization programming comes in and Renaissance Periodization is the gold standard. I highly recommend their online programming. I've done mass meso (bulk), maintenance, and meet preps with their team.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Surprised Brady isn’t in team USA roster, thought he was asked to go and was mulling it?

I wondered the same, but saw yesterday that he has declined in order to focus on his training. I understand - the kid is only 19, and that first pro season is a meat grinder for every young guy. To the extent that he (or his trainer) wants to focus on rest, rehab, and getting on a proper training schedule for next season, I can understand that.

Reactions: coladin

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
I wondered the same, but saw yesterday that he has declined in order to focus on his training. I understand - the kid is only 19, and that first pro season is a meat grinder for every young guy. To the extent that he (or his trainer) wants to focus on rest, rehab, and getting on a proper training schedule for next season, I can understand that.
Even better, he is willing to forego the recognition that comes from being asked to play for your country so he can train and come back a better player for the Sens. His priority is being the best player he can be, have to respect that.

Reactions: coladin

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
At this rate he will price himself out of Ottawa soon enough

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Your son likely only recently started producing enough testosterone to make significant mass gains which explains the 1-2lbs typical monthly progress. That's very solid for a young teen. Peak testosterone is age 18-25 and this is where he can make big jumps in both strength and mass.

A macro measured bulk with good clean food has no magic number for caloric ceiling and no hormonal effect. All your body is doing is creating an anabolic response. I always did 12 week bulk, 12 week maintenance, repeat. Allows your body to acclimate the new weight it just put on. +/- a lb a week is a good rule of thumb for a bulk or a cut. You're right that rapid cycles like UFC fighters do are very hard on your body but that doesn't discredit the process that is tried and true for 50+ years

The concept is it's difficult gradually making slow progress forever. Your body wants to plateau. You also can't exert high intensity for months straight without fatigue. This is where periodization programming comes in and Renaissance Periodization is the gold standard. I highly recommend their online programming. I've done mass meso (bulk), maintenance, and meet preps with their team.
Yup, your body acclimates to stimuli as you progress so folks get the diminished returns effect. Also as you age it gets really hard to gain mass. I think I did the math and I have to do 3x as much work as my son to see the same result. Lol.
But my comments about the 'dirty bulk' and hormones have more to do with insulin response. I think some folks follow the IIFYM and eat ice cream, pizza, etc anything. High caloric intake with low quality food will mess with your body's hormones. I don't like the eat everything and then cut approach. The other poster said to simply eat more food. I don't think most people realize how hard it is to eat 4000 calories of clean food and keep your macros balanced. It's like a job and meal prep becomes a big part of your life. My son is always cooking.
So I fully agree with you that bulking with clean food is the way to go. Which is essentially what my son is doing. At 16, he has crazy metabolism and is so active that his body fat stays low. That won't last forever. But if you're eating lots of good clean food and working out a lot, you'll probably get good results no matter which path you take.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Every young player is focused on training and gaining muscle during the offseason, no just tkachuk lol.
Tierney should focus harder. By the looks of him I think I could beat him in an arm wrestle. Jokes aside, not all young players off season as a rigorous as others, and you get the feeling that Tkachuk's off season is going to be far more intense then a lot of his peers.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Keith seemed like a real USA!!! type of guy so I am still surprised he wouldn't have pushed the kids to join for the Worlds.

Different times I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad