Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 5 - Management Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I know everyone is loving the huge weight gain by Tkachuk , but Mathot was talking about making massive weight gains isn't neccesarily the best thing to do. He mentioned that a lot of guys come in looking like athletic swimmers because speed is so important now in the NHL.

I mean if Brady carries the weigh effectively fine so long as he isnt slower because its not like he was the fastest guy out there.

Obviously hes added some muscle to his legs which will improve his speed and such but I'm definately curious to see him tonight

Bit different when the player is just simply growing into his body compared to bulking up over a summer. I think he will be fine.

Reactions: NB613

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I know everyone is loving the huge weight gain by Tkachuk , but Mathot was talking about making massive weight gains isn't neccesarily the best thing to do. He mentioned that a lot of guys come in looking like athletic swimmers because speed is so important now in the NHL.

I mean if Brady carries the weigh effectively fine so long as he isnt slower because its not like he was the fastest guy out there.

Obviously hes added some muscle to his legs which will improve his speed and such but I'm definately curious to see him tonight
So true. I get a good laugh when I read about how certain players need to add 20 pounds of muscle (that was said all the time about Turris). Hockey isn't weight lifting, it's all about speed and athleticism.

As others have pointed out already, for Tkachuk it should help him. He's still young and growing into his frame so it was expected that he would add 20lbs from when he was drafted. Plus it will help with his net front presence which is a huge part of his game. He trained with Gary Roberts who is apparently the best of the best, but I am also curious to watch him and see how is skating is.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Even with the weight he still looks pretty lanky. I think he can carry it.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
So true. I get a good laugh when I read about how certain players need to add 20 pounds of muscle (that was said all the time about Turris). Hockey isn't weight lifting, it's all about speed and athleticism.

As others have pointed out already, for Tkachuk it should help him. He's still young and growing into his frame so it was expected that he would add 20lbs from when he was drafted. Plus it will help with his net front presence which is a huge part of his game. He trained with Gary Roberts who is apparently the best of the best, but I am also curious to watch him and see how is skating is.

The fact that he was training with Roberts greatly assuages any concerns that the weight is bad weight or even that he didn’t work the right muscles.

At his age, some of this is just thickening out and getting the man strength.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I think speed will be more of a concern later in Tkachuk's career. For now, extra bulk and muscle is exactly what Tkachuk needs for his style of play.

His style of play would be so much more dynamic it he added speed and acceleration.

Just look at Tom Wilson and what kind of player he's developed into after working on his skating.

Reactions: h2

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I like Tkachuk but i m tired that he fall often in the ice. Other young prospect don t fall like this.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
His style of play would be so much more dynamic it he added speed and acceleration.

Just look at Tom Wilson and what kind of player he's developed into after working on his skating.

I have zero doubt that Tkachuk knows that speed and agility are cornerstones of top hockey players - he will be working on his skating constantly.

If anything I am more concerned with Batherson after a few quick viewings - his size gains do seem to have cost him a little bit in the skating department at first blush. Hopefully just early season rust.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Well his speed was as good as last year and maybe better which is amazing
His skating looked terrific. Watching him is like letting an angry dog out of a cage.

The only slightly concerning thing is he looked gas in the third period. That could just be because it was the first game of the season though.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I like Tkachuk but i m tired that he fall often in the ice. Other young prospect don t fall like this.

If anyone is being objective about him, and getting over all the hype that surrounds him, then it's not very hard to see how terrible his skating and balance is. At this point in time, he seems like a weak skinny dude with no lower body strength. His shooting, finishing and stick-handling is pretty average, as well.

But I am pretty sure in a few years, he will magically turn into Malkin

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

The point is that it is very likely that he falls down less often as he progresses and eventually doesn't fall at all. Then he'll be amazing.

Or he might not.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If anyone is being objective about him, and getting over all the hype that surrounds him, then it's not very hard to see how terrible his skating and balance is. At this point in time, he seems like a weak skinny dude with no lower body strength. His shooting, finishing and stick-handling is pretty average, as well.

But I am pretty sure in a few years, he will magically turn into Malkin

4 points.....

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I don't know how anyone can be down on Tkachuk since he's been drafted. Sure he falls a lot but he is a wrecking ball all over the ice, especially around the net. He's often our best forward out there and wouldn't be surprised in his sophomore year if he leads the team in points.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
It doesn't matter to me how a player gets 30-40-70. Whether it's through dangling or battling in the crease, they all count the same. Tkachuk's points were greasy last night, but no one else put up four points.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He’s got such an awesome attitude that is going to drive other teams crazy, while at the same time guys will have nothing but admiration for him.

Wrecking ball on the ice, looms in after the whistle, mouth guard half out, smirk on his face, nonchalantly crowding bubbles everywhere.

He’s an irritant without being a turtling pest, he scores points, and looks like he’s having so much fun out there.

It’s perfect really.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
He’s got such an awesome attitude that is going to drive other teams crazy, while at the same time guys will have nothing but admiration for him.

Wrecking ball on the ice, looms in after the whistle, mouth guard half out, smirk on his face, nonchalantly crowding bubbles everywhere.

He’s an irritant without being a turtling pest, he scores points, and looks like he’s having so much fun out there.

It’s perfect really.
His act and consistent parade to the penalty box will grow tired for his teammates and officials, unless he grows up and learns to pick his spots.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Naw, he’ll continue to be a fan favourite and his team mates will continue to love him.

Not all fans like this type of player, but that’s ok.
He'll be a fan favorite, but you are projecting (as usual) with your assumptions about his teammate's opinion.

He can grow up and earn their respect, but the routine will grow old with mature professionals.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
His act and consistent parade to the penalty box will grow tired for his teammates and officials, unless he grows up and learns to pick his spots.
Brady Tkachuk for Lady Byng ... I don't see it. Its not as bad as constant parade... Playing like he does he will take his share of penalties that's part of the package

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
He has to take less penalties while still playing with the same edge. I do agree that's a fault in his game right now.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He'll be a fan favorite, but you are projecting (as usual) with your assumptions about his teammate's opinion.

He can grow up and earn their respect, but the routine will grow old with mature professionals.

Funny, I was also projecting about how stoked TC was to be in Ottawa with his buds, then was shown to be correct when he finally came out and said it. It wasn’t enough for him to hint at it in various other ways.

White and TC have admitted to being best friends, BT has admitted to being really close with TC, and we know that Norris and Brown are also tight with BT. Everyone has talked about how close this core group is, I suppose you’ve missed all of that though, no worries, I’m here to help. ;)

In the end it sounds like he just isn’t your type of player, and that’s ok, but perhaps you shouldn’t be making assumptions of what ‘mature professionals’ think. You’re already wrong in regards to what Stone thought, who else do you think you’re wrong about?

In my opinion, and experience, he is exhibiting signs of being the exact type of player that teammates love, in any sport or team setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad