Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 5 - Management Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Have no idea why ppl think san jose is gonna be a lottery pick next year . Even if they lose karlsson they are a very good team in a fairly weak conference

Technically speaking, any team that misses the playoffs is a lottery team. San Jose could miss the playoffs by one point next season and they still have a chance at becoming a top 3 pick. Mind you it is a very small chance, but a chance nonetheless.

It all depends on the division though.

Flames will most likely still be a very strong team next year.
Knights should be in the playoff race.
The Coyotes will probably be better.
Ducks will most likely be back
Think the Kings are again going to finish at the bottom.
Vancouver might be good
And then there is the Oilers and who the f*** knows how the Oilers are going to play.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Really hope Karlsson walks.

Really hope he doesn't. I want that extra pick in 2021. The west is wide open this year. The Sharks are actually the odds favorites to be the western finalist. If so, Karlsson signing with them means we have San Jose's 2021 1st pick. Their core players will surely have regressed by then.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
It's incredibly incredibly unlikely though. Like 1 in 9999999999999999.

But not impossible. We went from being a conference finalist to finishing 30th and 31st the following two seasons. Both San Jose and Columbus have some question marks going into next season. Can Columbus sign all their UFAs? How long can San Jose's aging core keep this up?

I honestly don’t think Karlsson will sign with SJ. I think he ends up in NY or maybe but unlikely Tampa. I’m not sure about Duchene.

Reactions: MountSash

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think San Jose will give Karlsson an offer he can't refuse, and he'll end up staying. It'll come down to the end of June, judging by the kind of things Karlsson has said about free agency, he's going to want his opportunity to talk to other teams. He can do that in the week leading to July 1st.

I don't remember the exact rumoured offer, but there was a rumour San Jose offered Tavares something like 12 or 13 million.

If San Jose offers Karlsson 13 million with an 8 season term, I find it hard to believe that he'd go else where. Tavares turned it down because he had a preferred destination in mind. With Tavares, it was also only over 7 years, not 8.

If San Jose offers Karl 104 million over 8 years, a rival team has to offer him nearly 15 million to match that kind of offer over 7 years.

If I had to choose now between San Jose making it to the final, re-signing Karlsson, and us getting their 2020+2021 picks, or Karlsson walking and us getting only their 2020 pick (with it having more upside), I'd still take the two picks. This is a volatile league standings wise, I'll take the two chances at San Jose missing the playoffs rather than just one slightly higher chance that they miss. The way I see it, the odds are pretty high that the 2020 pick is going to be in that 16-24 ball park regardless even without Karlsson, so it'd be better to get two of those picks than just one.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
D3WzE6aWsAAkVPN.jpg:large

Very few players stand clearly above him in that comparison... Keller, Mackinnon, Skinner, Laine, Matthews, Stamkos and maybe Marner but the rest are right there with him

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Laf is at least primarily a winger.
Cole Perfetti is another guy to watch out for Cole Perfetti at eliteprospects.com
I've always wondered what position he's actually going to play. He lit up the Q this year as a winger but i'm pretty sure he's played center for a bit too, so why not switch next year and develop as a center? Like worst case scenario he just moves to the wing in the NHL.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He's been stapled to Mark Stone for most of the year. I wouldn't use poor linemates as a reason why his stats are more impressive than they look.
And he's been playing really well without him down the stretch.

I was weary how he would look without Stone but now he's even more noticeable than before. Small sample size but as he fills out I wouldn't be surprised if he's even more of a force out there.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I was weary how he would look without Stone but now he's even more noticeable than before. Small sample size but as he fills out I wouldn't be surprised if he's even more of a force out there.

Yeah he's really surprised me in a good way. I thought he was a passenger a lot of the year that benefitted greatly from playing with an elite winger in Stone, but he's looked fantastic on his own.

Reactions: DrEasy

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Have no idea why ppl think san jose is gonna be a lottery pick next year . Even if they lose karlsson they are a very good team in a fairly weak conference

I tend to agree with you, but to play devil's advocate it's not totally crazy. They have some core players that could be gone or decline significantly.

Thornton
Vlasic
Burns
Pavelski

are all getting up there in age.

Even guys like Couture and Braun will be on the wrong side of 30 to start next year. And obviously EK is a question mark.

Pair that with a pretty sketchy goalie situation and they're not a sure bet.

Probably still be a decent team though.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

I was saying in the Matthew v Brady thread that Brady has played 1st line all year but the reasons for that have changed over the season.

He was initially 1st line because whatever line Stone was on is our 1st line

Now he is 1st line because whatever line Tkachuk is on is our 1st line

SJ has been terrible lately. They have won 2 of their last 11 games and 1 of them just happened against a checked out Oilers team

Karlsson, Pavelski, Thornton, Nyqvist, Donskoi, Meier (RFA), Lablanc (RFA) all need new contracts. Burns is 34, Vlasic is 32, Braun is 32, their goaltending is bad... they could miss and then anything can happen

I dont think they will take that much of a step back but its possible. I think it will be hard for them to be better next yr, its more likely that they stagnate or take a step back

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Awesome personality. That picture he took with the red head kid yesterday was hilarious. Definitely the Senator I'd most like to have a beer on the patio with.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sens wont get an extra pick if he walks. Why do you hope that I dont understand.
Id rather next years SJ first be as high as possible, Karlsson walking would help that. There are also somethat hold out on the fantasy that he comes back here as a ufa. To me, i want the extra pick if its a first, if not, I'd rather take the chance that SJ slips in next years standings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad