Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 5 - Management Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I just checked, from Karlsson's trade we got a first-round pick, and a 2nd-round pick, both in 2019 + 2 conditional picks

How do we have a guaranteed 1st round pick next year from SJ?

The 2019 pick goes to Buffalo from the Evander Kane trade, so the Sharks 2019 1st becomes a guaranteed (non-protected) 2020 1st.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Keep all our picks for 2020,and get some more...Hopefully we give Col the 4th and while it doesnt change the fact it was a huge bust of a trade ....Watching Tkachuk smash around the rink will ease the sting a little

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
2019 - we have seen Ott produce three very good young players in Chabot LD, Tkachuk LW & White C & Duclair LW could be a keeper. If Ott can draft either Seider Rd or Lavoie C with their 1st rd pick in the 2019 draft that would fill a need & both players could easily be the BPA & seem to be ranked around where Ott is set to draft.

2020 - I expect Ott to produce at least three more very good young players in Brown C, Batherson RW & Formenton LW. I also expect that Chlapik C/LW, Wolanin LD, Jaros RD & hopefully Hogberg G will all improve & take big step forward. With any luck Ott could win the lottery or be in a position to get one of the top 3 best players in the 2020 draft & then they have another 1st rd pick to choose a good player.

2021 - I expect that Norris should be on the roster at this point along with Brannstrom LD & maybe JBD RD. It's also possible that the 1st rd pick in the 2019 draft might be good enough at this point to be on the roster or challenging as could the 2020 1st rd picks.

Reactions: Sen sational

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I just checked, from Karlsson's trade we got a first-round pick, and a 2nd-round pick, both in 2019 + 2 conditional picks

Did you even bother reading what the conditions were in those picks???

The 2019 pick becomes a 2020 pick if San Jose makes the playoffs this year. They made the playoffs, so that 2019 pick has become a 2020 1st round pick for us.

Reactions: aragorn and bert

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
The 2019 pick goes to Buffalo from the Evander Kane trade, so the Sharks 2019 1st becomes a guaranteed (non-protected) 2020 1st.

Oh, so if Shark finish in the bottom and/or wins the lottery, then we will get to pick 1st overall from their pick?

It is going to be hilarious picking 1st and 2nd overall, or even picking twice in top 5 next year

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

As StempniakSen said, it's now a 2020 pick.

I think SJ had the option between 2019 and 2020 to give to Buffalo. I believe the EK trade had a condition that if the Sharks made the playoffs in 2019, Buffalo gets their 2019 pick, and Ottawa takes 2020. If SJ failed to make the playoffs, Ottawa would get the 2019 pick and Buffalo the 2020.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Oh, so if Shark finish in the bottom and/or wins the lottery, then we will get to pick 1st overall from their pick?

It is going to be hilarious picking 1st and 2nd overall, or even picking twice in top 5 next year

Correct.

For extra hilarity, it's also possible that Columbus misses the playoffs this season. If the Columbus pick wins the lottery this year (ie. a top 3 pick), Columbus gets to keep it and we get their 2020 1st round pick, unprotected.

It's theoretically possible that we end up with picks 1, 2 and 3 next season.

If, on top of that, Duchene signs with Columbus and Karlsson signs with San Jose (and San Jose make the finals this year), we end up with three unprotected 1st round picks in 2021 again.

Reactions: InTkachukWeTrust

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Have no idea why ppl think san jose is gonna be a lottery pick next year . Even if they lose karlsson they are a very good team in a fairly weak conference

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Correct.

For extra hilarity, it's also possible that Columbus misses the playoffs this season. If the Columbus pick wins the lottery (ie. a top 3 pick), Columbus gets to keep it and we get their 2020 1st round pick, unprotected, again.

If, on top of that, Duchene signs with Columbus and Karlsson signs with San Jose (and San Jose make the finals this year), we end up with three unprotected 1st round picks in 2021 again.
That would be something,and a dream come true...So we will pick 4th with our pick,and SJ and CLB will make the finals...Just because its Ottawa..lol

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Have no idea why ppl think san jose is gonna be a lottery pick next year . Even if they lose karlsson they are a very good team in a fairly weak conference
Need a key injury or two to make that a possibility ,not impossible but highly improbable ..

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

It is a slim chance, but I was asking a question not predicting it to happen. How ever, things can go south pretty quickly for a team, and no one knows that better than us.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I don't think anyone believes it's likely. But it's not impossible. They have a few good young players, but their core players are getting awfully close to 40. Braun and Vlasic will be 33, Burns will be 34, Pavelski 35, Thornton 40. It's not a question of if, but a question of when they will fall and miss the playoffs. Look at how quickly it happened to LA and Chicago.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't think anyone believes it's likely. But it's not impossible. They have a few good young players, but their core players are getting awfully close to 40. Braun and Vlasic will be 33, Burns will be 34, Pavelski 35, Thornton 40. It's not a question of if, but a question of when they will fall and miss the playoffs. Look at how quickly it happened to LA and Chicago.
I agree, and Vlasic is clearly starting to show his age.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I agree, and Vlasic is clearly starting to show his age.
Pavelski and burns havent shown muchh sign of slowing down. Highly unlikely that next year they will be a bottom pairing defensemen or bottom 2 center .

Also hertl meier lebanc kane couture are exceptional players about to or are in their prime.

Thornton has already been given a reduced role this year and karlsson has only played around 50 games . They wont be bad

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Well said. They will probably be a good team next year again, but if you had to make a bet on which cup contending team could fall off a cliff next year, SJ might be that team for the reasons you stated.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Tkachuk when he is fully developed:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

5EIg.gif

giphy.gif

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The guaranteed 1st for the Duchene trade is this year though. The only way we have a 2020 CBJ 1st round pick is if Duchene re-signs or if they win the lottery this year then our pick from this year moves back.

As of now, the only guaranteed 1st round picks in 2020 is ours and SJ's.

This is true, haha.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

Buffalo gets SJ's 1st round pick because they made the playoffs this year. We get their 1st round pick next year.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Correct.

For extra hilarity, it's also possible that Columbus misses the playoffs this season. If the Columbus pick wins the lottery this year (ie. a top 3 pick), Columbus gets to keep it and we get their 2020 1st round pick, unprotected.

What the f*** those are some serious picks!!!!

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What the **** those are some serious picks!!!!

It's incredibly incredibly unlikely though. Like 1 in 9999999999999999.

But not impossible. We went from being a conference finalist to finishing 30th and 31st the following two seasons. Both San Jose and Columbus have some question marks going into next season. Can Columbus sign all their UFAs? How long can San Jose's aging core keep this up?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad