NFL: Brady suspension reinstated

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Looks like someone finally put 2 and 2 together and realized the 'deflator' had nothing to do with weight loss.

Timing of this is hilarious as hell.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Looks like someone finally put 2 and 2 together and realized the 'deflator' had nothing to do with weight loss.
FWIW, McNally refers to himself as "The Deflator" in early 2014. So, if you believe that this is proof of guilt, then you also believe that the Patriots had been deflating footballs for an extended period of time.

In the middle of the 2014 season, the Patriots discovered that they had played an entire game with footballs close to 16 PSI. Brady is livid. In a text to his girlfriend that he has no reason to believe will ever become public, Jastremski doesn't blame "The Deflator" for not doing his job - he blames the referees for overinflating them. There are no texts between McNally and Jastremski asking about the events of that night.

Ted Wells interviewed the Head Referee for that game as part of his investigation. None of what he said was included in the Wells Report, and the NFL declined to make Wells' interview notes available to Brady's attorneys.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Giving Goodell the power to suspend was stupid
Suspending Brady over balls is stupid
Berman overturning Goodell's decision was stupid

This decision is actually the only one that isn't.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
FWIW, McNally refers to himself as "The Deflator" in early 2014. So, if you believe that this is proof of guilt, then you also believe that the Patriots had been deflating footballs for an extended period of time.

In the middle of the 2014 season, the Patriots discovered that they had played an entire game with footballs close to 16 PSI. Brady is livid. In a text to his girlfriend that he has no reason to believe will ever become public, Jastremski doesn't blame "The Deflator" for not doing his job - he blames the referees for overinflating them. There are no texts between McNally and Jastremski asking about the events of that night.

Ted Wells interviewed the Head Referee for that game as part of his investigation. None of what he said was included in the Wells Report, and the NFL declined to make Wells' interview notes available to Brady's attorneys.

Which, besides Goodell not knowing basic science, is the worst part about this whole thing.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Timing of this is hilarious as hell.

Not really what was ruled on. It is more about what powers Goodell has under the CBA.

This ruling of 2-1 says he can do whatever he wants. That's on the NFLPA.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Not really what was ruled on. It is more about what powers Goodell has under the CBA.

This ruling of 2-1 says he can do whatever he wants. That's on the NFLPA.

I'm speaking in general terms. I was never able to get past the text messages.

Though the punishment is still asinine and overboard. Should have just been a significant fine to Brady along with more oversight on how the balls are handled.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The initial judge outlined his reasoning pretty well. It makes sense. He felt as if the process was fundamentally unfair (which it was but that's neither here nor there). 1 judge even agreed with it, seeing as how the ruling was 2-1 in the leagues favor this time around. Just didn't work out in Brady's favor this time around

I'm sure they will be going back to the drawing board for some more fun so we can talk about PSI for another 12-16 month

I also read something where if Peterson wins his case then Brady will have more to work with on his

I don't really agree at all. The initial judge was definitely against most settled law. It's an arbitration agreement. There was no reason he should've ruled the way he did. The original ruling was pretty much a shock to most who know the law regarding arbitration appeals.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
This is exceptionally stupid. I hate the Pats, but just let it go. He's always going to be known as a cheater, the organization is going to be known for cheating, there's no need to keep bringing this stupid **** up.

He'll only be known as a "cheater" by people who already inherently dislike him.

After all, is Jerry Rice now universally known as a cheater today for admitting to using stickum during his career (which is what this whole situation should have been compared to)?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
You don't view him a cheater.

Are you saying you inherently like him?

No, I don't view him as a cheater because there's never been any definitive proof, other than it was "more probable than not that he may have known something". A lot different than Jerry Rice flat out admitting that he used stickum

No, I don't "inherently like him", but I think he's a remarkable QB, will go down as one of the best of all-time, and has a very strong case to be considered the best of all-time, and this incident should not be defining his legacy.

Last edited:

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
31 other fan bases are celebrating in the streets

****ing cheater finally got what he deserved

This case has nothing to do with whether he is innocent or guilty, it's about whether the CBA gives Goodell the power to serve the punishment and whether it's a fair punishment

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
No, I don't view him as a cheater because there's never been any definitive proof, other than it was "more probable than not that he may have known something". A lot different than Jerry Rice flat out admitting that he used stickum

No, I don't "inherently like him", but I think he's a remarkable QB, will go down as one of the best of all-time, and has a very strong case to be considered the best of all-time, and this incident should not be defining his legacy.

I don't think that's fair, saying "only" people who dislike Brady think he's a cheater. I have nothing against Brady personally, think he's a great QB, yadda yadda....pretty clear he knew.

Do you view Peyton Manning as a cheater?

Ehhh...sure. Do you?

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
This case has nothing to do with whether he is innocent or guilty, it's about whether the CBA gives Goodell the power to serve the punishment and whether it's a fair punishment

Exactly, this case does not have to do whether or not Brady is a cheater. He and the Patriots have already been proven to be cheaters by the standard of proof set forth by the NFL/CBA. No matter the decision of this case, in NFL lore/history/etc (as written by the NFL) the Pats and Brady were already cheaters in deflategate.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Little do we know that this is all just a big conspiracy in the "god hates Cleveland" saga as Brady is eligible to return in week 5 against the Browns.

Because the Browns haven't suffered enough, apparently.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Exactly, this case does not have to do whether or not Brady is a cheater. He and the Patriots have already been proven to be cheaters by the standard of proof set forth by the NFL/CBA. No matter the decision of this case, in NFL lore/history/etc (as written by the NFL) the Pats and Brady were already cheaters in deflategate.
It's quite the system, isn't it?

All Goodell needs to suspend someone is to determine that it's "more likely than not" that a rule has been broken. He is the sole arbitrator of whether or not it's more likely than not. The player can appeal, but Goodell is the arbitrator of the appeal. He can refuse to allow the player access to information that could change his opinion. He can change the accusation at the appeal hearing without any sort of notice, and he's not held to precedent in regards to penalties.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

All Goodell needs to suspend someone is to determine that it's "more likely than not" that a rule has been broken. He is the sole arbitrator of whether or not it's more likely than not. The player can appeal, but Goodell is the arbitrator of the appeal. He can refuse to allow the player access to information that could change his opinion. He can change the accusation at the appeal hearing without any sort of notice, and he's not held to precedent in regards to penalties.

Shouts to the NFLPA!

A truly atrocious job of bargaining

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

Well, no. Wells found him more likely than not to have knowledge of the scheme and Goodell used that along with other information on the appeal.

So, since Wells made the determination, none of what you said makes sense because someone not named Goodell made the original determination.

Did you not read the opinion? The court seems to think the precedent Goodell used to determine a suspension was more than enough.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
FWIW, I agree with the dissenting Judge. The NFL CBA says that Goodell can act in the role of arbitrator hearing appeals. That shouldn't mean, nor would the NFLPA expect it to mean when agreeing to the CBA that Goodell can dispense with common standards expected from an arbitrator.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
What did he know? What was going on?

Because, if you're going to suspend someone, shouldn't you have a pretty clear idea of what happened with at least some degree of specificity?

Actually, no. The CBA gives the Commissioner the power to investigate and dispense punishment in "special circumstances" as he sees fit.

Whether Goddell was allowed by the CBA to suspend Brady based on what we know was never in question....I don't think even Berman directly challenged that.

EDIT: Besides, it's clear what the NFL accused him of: tampering with evidence, holding up the investigation and being generally aware of a scheme to deflate footballs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad