NFL: Brady suspension reinstated

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
None of which has actual proof and evidence behind it.

"Oh no he threw away his old phone......" much like a lot of rich/famous people do

Pretty clear doesn't mean he actually knew. It was never proven and likely never will.

Circumstantial evidence is not the same as no evidence.

If that's not enough for you, fine: but don't pretend there was no evidence.

Brady destroyed his phone after the NFL asked him for it. That was where "tampering with evidence" cane from.

And no, we just have to wait for Brady's book tour.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Tampering with evidence....that they already had. After he told them he wasn't going to give up his phone too...

The funny thing about text messages is that they are a 2 person action and they had the other persons phones/texts. Again, that is a complete smokescreen used by the league that gets eaten up.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
No, I don't view him as a cheater because there's never been any definitive proof, other than it was "more probable than not that he may have known something". A lot different than Jerry Rice flat out admitting that he used stickum

No, I don't "inherently like him", but I think he's a remarkable QB, will go down as one of the best of all-time, and has a very strong case to be considered the best of all-time, and this incident should not be defining his legacy.
People would likely get over it if he did just flat out admit it. People don't like being deceived when common sense indicates it did happen.

And if it didn't, and the ball boys made all their texts up, then why are they still employed by the Patriots?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Brady destroyed his phone after the NFL asked him for it. That was where "tampering with evidence" cane from.

What he said ---

Tampering with evidence....that they already had. After he told them he wasn't

& why does he have to give up his phone? Its his personal device that likely has a lot of personal stuff on it.

" Destroyed it after the NFL asked for it".... very circumstantial. There are so many ways around this. I'll give you one.... maybe he happened to get a new phone around that time? Was he supposed to hold off on such plans just to help out the NFL?

Enlighten me on the other times Tom Brady allegedly cheated.

This should be rich.

I'm excited.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I'm not sure where the sitting at home thing came from.
One of the "deflate" texts was sent immediately after Jastremski was shown on television holding a jacket. The game was played in Green Bay, and McNally was a part-time employee who only worked during home games.

By the way, that text read read something to the effect of "Deflate. And give someone that jacket." A lot of Patriots fans actually took that as proof that the "deflator" talk really had been about weight loss, because Jastremski had been wearing a puffy jacket, and he looked... well... he looked fat.

The NFL used that as evidence of a conspiracy during a game that McNally wasn't even at.

.. here are some of the more damaging texts:

McNally: Tom sucks...im going make that next ball a ***** balloon
----
McNally: *** tom....make sure the pump is attached to the needle.....****in watermelons coming
----
Jastremski: I have a big needle for u this week
McNally: Better be surrounded by cash and newkicks....or its a rugby sunday
McNally: **** tom
Jastremski: Maybe u will have some nice size 11s in ur locker
McNally: Tom must really be working your balls hard this week
----
McNally: The only thing deflating sun..is his passing rating
----
McNally: You working
Jastremski: Yup
McNally: Nice dude....jimmy needs some kicks....lets make a deal.....come on help the deflator
----
McNally: Chill buddy im just ***** with you ....im not going to espn........yet

The ESPN one is the most ridiculous one. It's not like he's going to ESPN to discuss his weight loss.
I've asked a lot of questions in this thread, and it's for a reason. I guess the point that I'm trying to drive home is not that absolutely nothing happened, it's that the NFL has no idea what happened. And when you have no idea what happened, and you're still docking draft picks and suspending people, that undermines the same integrity that they say they're trying to preserve.

I'll give you a somewhat hypothetical scenario.

Brady was clearly unhappy with the footballs in the Jets game, and the Patriots knew the officials had messed with them. What if Brady went to Jastremski and told him something to the effect of, "The footballs are your responsibility. You need to make sure the officials don't screw with them."

Concerned for his job, and unbeknownst to Brady, Jastremski enlists the help of McNally to measure the footballs after they've been inspected by league officials, and to make sure they're set at either 13.0 PSI or 12.5 PSI. He gives McNally a needle to let air out of them if they've been inflated, and a small pump to inflate them should the officials let air out of them.

Certainly still against the rules, but is it out of the realm of possibility? Would Brady deserve to be suspended in that scenario? Worth the largest fine in NFL history and the loss of two draft picks? Because this would just be a couple of rogue employees, and the Falcons only lost a 5th round pick for a rogue employee who pumped in fake crowd noise.

Certainty matters. And I would suggest that any sort of punishment or suspension without certainty undermines the integrity of the game.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
What he said ---

& why does he have to give up his phone? Its his personal device that likely has a lot of personal stuff on it.

" Destroyed it after the NFL asked for it".... very circumstantial. There are so many ways around this. I'll give you one.... maybe he happened to get a new phone around that time? Was he supposed to hold off on such plans just to help out the NFL?

He doesn't have to cooperate. He didn't cooperate.

Then the NFL charged him with "noncooperation".

And....yes?

The NFL says they want your phone.

You say no: then destroy it.

Pretty cut 'n' dry " tampering with evidence".

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
again....tampering with evidence they already had via the other phones

They (Brady camp) had already told them they weren't going to establish the precedent of giving up his private phone so Goodell can just demand other players personal possessions whenever he wants.

again....the phone was a complete and total smokescreen by the league. They already had what they wanted and they were never going to get his phone to begin with, so whatever happens to it is irrelevant SINCE IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING

bWo*

He asked about having to give up his phone and they said no but continue on with your propaganda

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
What evidence? The NFL already had McNally and Jastremski's phones.

You don't think Brady's phone had anything possibly of interest? Why did he get a new one? Why did he destroy his old one. Now, I'm one of the most private people out there. I do delete everything off my old phone before I get my new phone so I can kind of sympathize with basically destroying it, however it is different when its being requested for view of a high power. Though I've never been in that situation.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You don't think Brady's phone had anything possibly of interest? Why did he get a new one? Why did he destroy his old one. Now, I'm one of the most private people out there. I do delete everything off my old phone before I get my new phone so I can kind of sympathize with basically destroying it, however it is different when its being requested for view of a high power. Though I've never been in that situation.

See my prior post.

They wanted all relevant communications and they had them. They were never getting his phone because they aren't about to establish a precedent letting Goodell demand people's personal property just because he said he could. It is- once again, for the billionth time uncontested- nothing more than a total smokescreen by the league.

And also see BWO's post.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
Here is what happened with the cell phone, its no mystery. Brady asked Wells, do you need to see my cell phone, he was going to give it to him, but Well said no we do not need to see it. Brady fully cooperated. Per his usual protocol, he destroyed the phone to avoid having his personal information leaked, which is happening more and more to celebrities and is a valid concern for Brady.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Here is what happened with the cell phone, its no mystery. Brady asked Wells, do you need to see my cell phone, he was going to give it to him, but Well said no we do not need to see it. Brady fully cooperated. Per his usual protocol, he destroyed the phone to avoid having his personal information leaked, which is happening more and more to celebrities and is a valid concern for Brady.

Not really. Brady was never going to give him the phone. However, Wells did say he didn't need the phone.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The PA doesn't want any players to turn over their phones. The whole phone situation is less of a Brady thing and more of a PA union thing.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
The PA doesn't want any players to turn over their phones. The whole phone situation is less of a Brady thing and more of a PA union thing.

It ended up being the thing that overrturned Berman's ruling. It shouldn't have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad