Player Discussion Brad Marchand VI‎II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Speaking of my favorite P.I.T.A. on the Bruins, I wonder if he's playing injured. This past week I have noticed he hasn't been doing his awesome spinning around with the puck and it seems he's having a hard time taking shots and skating. Anyone else notice this? He's usually a ball of energy out there. I admit, I am behind in Bruins news- just saw that Ritchie was demoted (I liked him but I guess he's not a fan favorite on here?)

@Ladyfan, what do you think? Is Brad playing hurt or am I losing it?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Speaking of my favorite P.I.T.A. on the Bruins, I wonder if he's playing injured. This past week I have noticed he hasn't been doing his awesome spinning around with the puck and it seems he's having a hard time taking shots and skating. Anyone else notice this? He's usually a ball of energy out there. I admit, I am behind in Bruins news- just saw that Ritchie was demoted (I liked him but I guess he's not a fan favorite on here?)

Yes, definitely. Not sure what's wrong with him but he's definitely been flat the last 3 weeks or so. The whole team has looked tired and been struggling a bit but Marchy particularly seems out of sorts. He's still banked a few points simply through his talent and quality line-mates, but he's certainly been well short of his best.

We know he got the flu like many others a little while ago but everyone else seems to have gotten over it - perhaps he got a particularly bad strain or something else that's lingered. Or perhaps he's feeling the weight of a long postseason more than some others. Maybe it is indeed an injury as you suggest, but I'm not sure if that's it because his whole game is off, not just one element of his movement or technique that he's grappling with.

Bit of a mystery. Like many things to do with the Bruins at the moment hopefully the upcoming break will help him get right again, whatever exactly is going on.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

sick. # on the water bottle the last few home games

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
We know he got the flu like many others a little while ago but everyone else seems to have gotten over it - perhaps he got a particularly bad strain or something else that's lingered. Or perhaps he's feeling the weight of a long postseason more than some others. Maybe it is indeed an injury as you suggest, but I'm not sure if that's it because his whole game is off, not just one element of his movement or technique that he's grappling with.

Bit of a mystery. Like many things to do with the Bruins at the moment hopefully the upcoming break will help him get right again, whatever exactly is going on.

Could be the flu- I had it earlier, before Christmas, and it was pretty long lasting- 2 1/2 weeks till I was 100% again, and that was with plenty of rest and taking it easy, not playing NHL hockey. My wife is still recovering from it. It is about gone for her, but it's been almost 3 weeks at this point.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Could be the flu- I had it earlier, before Christmas, and it was pretty long lasting- 2 1/2 weeks till I was 100% again, and that was with plenty of rest and taking it easy, not playing NHL hockey. My wife is still recovering from it. It is about gone for her, but it's been almost 3 weeks at this point.

Yep seems like that is the most likely culprit. It's really hit Boston hard it seems, to judge just from the number of sportspeople who've had it on both the Bruins and the Celtics.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

..until Brad gets his hands back

upload_2020-1-17_23-1-23.jpeg

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
First 26 games: 66 shots, 18 goals
Last 24 games: 66 shots, 3 goals (1 ENG)

That's a pretty crazy split, especially considering he's shooting extremely close to around the same amount. 27.3% shooting percentage vs. 3.1% shooting percentage (excluding the ENG).

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

To me, it just looks like he's lost his touch for a bit. Brain and hands just don't look to be on the same page. It happens to everyone - the whole 'gripping your stick too tight' phrase - but you notice it more when it's a player of his calibre. A few years ago he went through the same thing were every pass he took just bounced off his stick. I think it's just tough to remain focused all the time. Seen everyone from Bergeron to Sid to Iginla to E. Staal to Stammer go through these bouts were they're still playing good but the puck just isn't settling for them. It'll show back up and he'll nail a hat-trick sometime soon and this'll wash over.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
First 26 games: 66 shots, 18 goals
Last 24 games: 66 shots, 3 goals (1 ENG)

That's a pretty crazy split, especially considering he's shooting extremely close to around the same amount. 27.3% shooting percentage vs. 3.1% shooting percentage (excluding the ENG).

His current shooting % for the year is basically the same as his career average, so he's regressed toward the mean. I do think there have been points where it looks like he has some sort of hand injury, so that could be it as well.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The funny thing with Marchand is I feel like every year he has a stretch like this. He just looks like crap and then all of the sudden he's elite Marchand again.

I think Brad gets beaten down. Just speculating of course, but that dude takes so much abuse out there on a shift to shift basis. I am not surprised he wears down, then gets a second wind. Maybe coming of this 10 days of rest after tonight he'll be back.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Saw online today that because over 18 months have passed between suspensions for Marchand, that he's no longer considered a repeat offender per the CBA? Can someone with more knowledge of how that works verify if this is true? I went in and read it and there is language around that, but I was hoping someone smarter than I could confirm.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Saw online today that because over 18 months have passed between suspensions for Marchand, that he's no longer considered a repeat offender per the CBA? Can someone with more knowledge of how that works verify if this is true? I went in and read it and there is language around that, but I was hoping someone smarter than I could confirm.

Taken straight from the DoPS FAQS

A Player is considered a repeat offender for 18 months following his most recent incident that resulted in a suspension. His status as a repeat offender in this category is used to determine the amount of salary forfeited should he receive another suspension.

It is important to note that even if a Player is not defined as a repeat offender, his past history may come into consideration when determining future Supplemental Discipline.

Per Article 18.2 in the CBA between the NHL and the NHLPA:
"... In deciding on Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice Conduct, the following factors will be taken into account:
(a) The type of conduct involved: conduct in violation of League Playing Rules, and whether the conduct is intentional or reckless, and involves the use of excessive and unnecessary force. Players are responsible for the consequences of their actions.
(b) Injury to the opposing Player(s) involved in the incident.
(c) The status of the offender and, specifically, whether the Player has a history of being subject to Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice Conduct. Players who repeatedly violate League Playing Rules will be more severely punished for each new violation.
(d) The situation of the game in which the incident occurred, for example: late in the game, lopsided score, prior events in the game.
(e) Such other factors as may be appropriate in the circumstances."

Reactions: LSCII

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Thanks! So despite him not technically being a repeat offender by league definition, they can still look at his history. Which means he's still going to be viewed the way he is today. lol

Yep! Basically just gives him more incentive to do stuff that isn't suspension-worthy, since the fines are lower.

Reactions: LSCII

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yeah and the crazy thing is his "crap" streak he's still PPG. Shows what an amazing player he's become. When he's playing normally he's around 1.3-1.5 PPG

That's probably the most mind blowing part of the whole thing lol. When I look at his "crap" play hes still one of the top producers in the league. It's one of the reasons I've never worried about Marchand lol. Same with Rask, his splits show he's up and down during roughly the same parts of the season every year.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Repeat offender status only counts against fines. His entire record is used to determine suspensions.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He's undoubtedly in a hole, I really hope this break does him more good that anyone. He has 1 goal and 5 assists in January (10 games). Here are the points described:

Secondary PP assist vs. Oilers - Bergeron wins the draw, taps it back to Krug who finds Pastrnak.

Secondary PP assist vs. Predators - Playing at the right point, finds DeBrusk down low who feeds Bergeron in the slot, kind of a mess where it gets back to DeBrusk behind the goalline and he finds Bergeron out front again for the goal

Secondary PP assist vs. Jets - Bergeron wins the draw, taps it back to Krug who finds Pastrnak.

Primary assist vs. Flyers - This was vintage Marchand. Bergeron feeds him around center ice off a turnover where he makes a smooth deke around the Flyers winger, rushes up ice and threads a pass through on a 2-on-1 where Pastrnak dekes and slides it in five-hole.

Empty net goal vs. Penguins - We all remember this one, Pastrnak passes up an opportunity to help get Marchand out of his slump.

Primary assist vs. Penguins - It's kind of tough to tell what happened. It's a partial 3-on-2 where Pasta feeds Marchand in the slot but he kind of whiffs on it and it goes through to Bergeron who snipes it, but gets credit for the assist. I can't really tell what Marchand was intending to do here TBH.

Realistically just one play that wasn't a "gimme point". We're used to seeing him pull that off on almost a game-to-game basis, not once every 10 games.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He's showing flashes since the All-Star break but he's still not there. If you look back the last few years, he churns out multi-point games with regularity, but that just isn't there right now. If he's picking up points, it's just the odd point here and there. He hasn't had a dominant game in quite some time.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
He's showing flashes since the All-Star break but he's still not there. If you look back the last few years, he churns out multi-point games with regularity, but that just isn't there right now. If he's picking up points, it's just the odd point here and there. He hasn't had a dominant game in quite some time.

Im worried. Because you can tell he's just pissed at everyone out there.
I cant remember the last time he looked dominant out there. Its been over a month at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad