News Article: Bowman lays out “ 18 to 24 months” timeline to hit elite tier

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Going for it got the Hawks a cup in 2015 with Vermette. Not the other two.
You mean signing Hossa for a billion dollars wasn't "going for it" in 2010? We lost a lot of young talent because of that signing after winning the Cup. For example: Buff and Ladd.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Didn't need hindsight to tell you the Weise deal was a complete joke and disaster when it was made

I pointed that out as well as others but we were shouted down by Stanley's fanboys who vehemently declared it a great trade and then somehow tried to defend Weise/Flash horrendous play

Stop lying. No one thought it was a great trade. Saying you can see the logic is not the same as saying it is great. People did say that Q messed up playing Mashinter over Weise. This is a fact.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Didn't need hindsight to tell you the Weise deal was a complete joke and disaster when it was made

I pointed that out as well as others but we were shouted down by Stanley's fanboys who vehemently declared it a great trade and then somehow tried to defend Weise/Flash horrendous play
Great ... I'm sure you were there telling everyone that the Vermette trade sucked too. Not all the trades were good. However, "going for it" also got us Cups. Did you complain then?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Completely predictable posts in this thread. Might have to expand my ignore list if this is what we can expect from BWC for the next year or two. Insufferable, once again.

BWC still thinks the Hawks should have been sellers in 2015, even though they won a cup. Nothing more needs to be said regarding his bias against "Stanley".

Might as well just go follow another team, because Bowman is going NOWHERE for the next 2-3 years.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Completely predictable posts in this thread. Might have to expand my ignore list if this is what we can expect from BWC for the next year or two. Insufferable, once again.

BWC still thinks the Hawks should have been sellers in 2015, even though they won a cup. Nothing more needs to be said regarding his bias against "Stanley".

Might as well just go follow another team, because Bowman is going NOWHERE for the next 2-3 years.
he does go to the Flyers board, so there is yet hope.....

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Why exactly should Stanley be trusted with task of rebuilding a team he destroyed?

The blame for Hawks fall from grace falls 100% on Stanley and no one else

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Why exactly should Stanley be trusted with task of rebuilding a team he destroyed?

Why shouldn't Stanley be trusted with the rebuild? The credit for Hawks rising from the ashes after 2011 falls 100% on Stanley and no one else.

I can do this too.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Bowman isn't perfect. Lord knows I had issues with SOME of his moves. However, he's done a lot of GOOD too.

I'm certainly not going to blame him for "going for it" 2016 and 2017 when this strategy won him Cups in 2010 and 2015. I believe the Hawks were simply the best in 2013. Perhaps if Bowman was more aggressive in 2014, we would have won that year too. That's up for debate.

IMO, Bowman earned enough goodwill to get a couple more years. I'm just happy to hear that he'll continue to be sellers until he sees a chance to be ELITE again. That means he as a long term plan ... rather than just trying to make the playoffs and sell a few more tickets.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Daley was good enough to play a big role for the Pens but not good enough for the Hawks...yeah ok. :thumbu: The team was still trying to win at that point so they needed to add a NHL D and Daley was just that but Q clearly couldn't get handle it.

The Hurricanes CLEARLY demanded TT and that is what it took. This is a fact. Bowman even mentioned that they never wanted to trade him but that is what teams demanded in order to take Bickell, who had negative value.
He was also so good that the Pens did completely fine without him in the lineup. He was an NHL D, but not a good one, and he wanted a bigger role than he deserved based off of his play here. Q was fine with him in a bottom pair role. It was a trade that should have never been made, Dallas fans were over the moon happy about getting rid of him and landing a fine player like Sharp and taking a good young prospect on top of that to boot. Awful trade.

Yeah, they clearly demanded him because they knew how good he was. Find another partner or a different avenue, like hold on to Bickell and deal someone else.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He was also so good that the Pens did completely fine without him in the lineup. He was an NHL D, but not a good one, and he wanted a bigger role than he deserved based off of his play here. Q was fine with him in a bottom pair role. It was a trade that should have never been made, Dallas fans were over the moon happy about getting rid of him and landing a fine player like Sharp and taking a good young prospect on top of that to boot. Awful trade.

Yeah, they clearly demanded him because they knew how good he was. Find another partner or a different avenue, like hold on to Bickell and deal someone else.

Dallas fans were wrong just like Q was.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Repeat after me: Hossa over Havlat.
Stan is responsible for all 3 cups. Ya boy Dale would have sabotaged all of them, and the Hawks would have zero cups.
Stan has rebuilt this roster twice after losing players in both 2010 and 2013.
He's earned the opportunity to rebuild this team.
Just because you repeat your schtick 100 times doesn't make it true.
Stan has been one of the better GMs in hockey. Their drafting has been awesome for the most part. He's only given out one truly bad contract during his entire tenure here, and those other ones that were bad weren't giant problems, and he was able to rid himself of those.

You sir have an agenda, and it is time you admit it.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Right. It was pretty clear there was too much decline (Toews, Seabrook) and hemorrhaging of talent like the TT trade during the 15-16 season. We probably shouldn’t have done anything. I assume you thought as I that there really wasn’t anything we could do to bolster that team enough. The Montreal trade was a clear hosing by Mark Bergeron at the time and now.

Still though, I didn’t blame them for trying to defend the championship. At the time, there was still some long shot hope that Ladd could bring Toews back. And Ladd was a lot better earlier in that season for Winnipeg. IIRC, he had a major offseason surgery and as the season went on, he started to wear down. In 2017, I don’t remember them doing any significant trades. Reality had set in by then that the window was closed.

As it would turn out, the window was 2009-2015. It turned out to be longer than I thought it would be. We absolutely maxed out our last chance in 2015. It was a great run, looking forward to the next one.
I still maintain that the 2016 team was deeper and more talented than the 2015 team. They ran into a good team that got all of the breaks in the 1st round.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

No, the blame for the Hawks fall comes from the combination of father time, the cap, drafting near the bottom of the 1st round/trading picks to maximize the window, and Seabrook's contract, which is the only major mistake that Bowman has made his entire tenure with the Hawks. Trading Panarin is up in the air. It could turn out to be a genius move if he gets him back.

Also, a LOT of the Hawks fall from grace has to do with Q mishandling the kids that were supposed to fill holes, but you'll just say that they sucked. You don't know that. See Dylan Strome for evidence. Q dicked around so many of the kids in 2011-12 that it cost the Hawks one of their better picks in Kevin Hayes. Hayes going to NYR is 100% on Q.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I still maintain that the 2016 team was deeper and more talented than the 2015 team. They ran into a good team that got all of the breaks in the 1st round.

You may be right, who knows what happens if they advance past St. Louis. I could certainly be wrong in my assessment of that team. I definitely have a personal bias to the 2015 team because I had always wanted them to address the center position and they got 2 of them in Richards and Vermette. Vermette was my coveted potential acquisition for years. I bet a lot of money on that team after that trade.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
You may be right, who knows what happens if they advance past St. Louis. I could certainly be wrong in my assessment of that team. I definitely have a personal bias to the 2015 team because I had always wanted them to address the center position and they got 2 of them in Richards and Vermette. Vermette was my coveted potential acquisition for years. I bet a lot of money on that team after that trade.
Ladd-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Panik-Teravainen-Shaw
Sekac-Kruger-Fleischmann

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-TVR
Ehrhoff-Roszival

Crawford

Is all around deeper than the previous year's team.

Ehrhoff and Roszival are no worse than Timonen and Rundblad were in 2015, in fact they're probably better.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Repeat after me: Hossa over Havlat.
Stan is responsible for all 3 cups. Ya boy Dale would have sabotaged all of them, and the Hawks would have zero cups.
Stan has rebuilt this roster twice after losing players in both 2010 and 2013.
He's earned the opportunity to rebuild this team.
Just because you repeat your schtick 100 times doesn't make it true.
Stan has been one of the better GMs in hockey. Their drafting has been awesome for the most part. He's only given out one truly bad contract during his entire tenure here, and those other ones that were bad weren't giant problems, and he was able to rid himself of those.

You sir have an agenda, and it is time you admit it.

Mark Kelley and his scouts get credit for the draft. Have you watched the Hawks war room when the draft is going on? Stan has ZERO say and is completely silent....he's just the mouth piece for the cameras.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Mark Kelley and his scouts get credit for the draft. Have you watched the Hawks war room when the draft is going on? Stan has ZERO say and is completely silent....he's just the mouth piece for the cameras.
I highly doubt Bowman has ZERO say. That said, a great leader know his strength and weaknesses ... enabling capable employees while maintaining a good culture, overall developing short & long term strategy, managing expectations to your shareholders / customers, and replenishing intellectual capital.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Ladd-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Panik-Teravainen-Shaw
Sekac-Kruger-Fleischmann

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-TVR
Ehrhoff-Roszival

Crawford

Is all around deeper than the previous year's team.

Ehrhoff and Roszival are no worse than Timonen and Rundblad were in 2015, in fact they're probably better.

Uh ya but TVR is garbage and Oduya was great here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $3,470.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated: