News Article: Bowman lays out “ 18 to 24 months” timeline to hit elite tier

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
i like that there is a plan, i dont like that the plan is two years from now because the wrong moves were made the last few years. Just feels like 2 more good years off the primes of kane and toews. Now if we use Kane---> Sharp Toews----> Hossa and strome and debrincat can turn into toews kane 2.0 we are in business but theres big shoes to fill on the backend, goalie, and 3rd line.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Please point me at the extensive list of teams that have been able to sustain success more than the Hawks have over the last decade.
capitals and penguins are who come to mind....but also these are the teams with the best players in the league so sustained success should come a bit easier with the talent on these teams. so not really a surprise.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
capitals and penguins are who come to mind....but also these are the teams with the best players in the league so sustained success should come a bit easier with the talent on these teams. so not really a surprise.

Caps didnt do shit for years when games mattered for real and pens took a 6 year nap while Hawks were going to WCF/SCF every year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I mean, he isn't saying this team is NOT a playoff team...his wording is of an "elite" team, nothing he is saying is differing much from what they said to start the season. there is enough talent here to be a playoff team, there is not enough talent to be a Cup winning team, that is the big difference and the only thing I took from this.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I mean, he isn't saying this team is NOT a playoff team...his wording is of an "elite" team, nothing he is saying is differing much from what they said to start the season. there is enough talent here to be a playoff team, there is not enough talent to be a Cup winning team, that is the big difference and the only thing I took from this.

Ya, I guess that's technically true. But, like you said, he's essentially saying 18-24 months before it's good enough to compete for a Cup, and that's what matters.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Murphy has already shown this year that you are wrong and while Hammer has been much better this year he was bad last year and the half season before that. Maybe if Q had a clue and used Murphy last year like he should have...oh wait he pouted like a baby and took it out on Murphy. Murphy is a solid to good 4 on a contender (he is just as good as Oduya).

Johns? Really?

Bickell? Let me know when you can diagnose MS better than doctors...we will wait.

You can’t ***** about AP when you called Saad a superstar.

Seabrook deal sucks so we agree about that.
Murphy has been good this year, still not as good as Hammer though. Will he be better in 2 years? Maybe, but I believe we are talking about why they are not good right now.

Yeah, Johns seems like a silly name to bring up.

We didn't have to give up TT to get rid of Bickell, surely there was another direction they could have gone.

The Saad for Panarin trade was bad, no matter what.

Stan has sucked a lot since 2015 Cup, but has been better this year, at least.

Reactions: ChiHawk21

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Dude he only had ONE year of Bickel to get rid of and gave away TT as a sweetener? If that is not a HUGE MISTAKE then I don’t know what it is. People can twist it and turn it how they want but that was ridiculous from day one and go see the trade in the main board everyone was mind boggled by that trade.

Then came the Danault which was also very stupid from day 1, I think that was a big mistake too as you had a guy that is still getting paid very little performing very well for his role as a legit shut down third line centre.

Then you have Panarin for Saad? This is not big? I am not even gonna get into this one.

The sharp trade was idiotic giving up Johns too?

The Hammer trade was just dumb, I don’t see what people see in Murphy, I don’t get it personally, he might be a little better than the rest of the young D in the back end but that’s not saying much as the bar is very low. Like I said before he’s a good 5-6 guy on a playoff team and this is 2 years into his contract and he is overpaid. I would rather take Hammer at 5Mill than Murphy at 4.

Seabrook is just a mistake that leaves a team handicapped for more than half a decade. Most teams have 80M to play with but the Hawks have 7 M less.

The mistakes are endless my friend, this is not to mention a bunch of moves that he had to fix as he went on and patch them up. These moves are why the team is garbage now. Imagine this team with TT/Panarin/Danault right now, yes it would be much better that’s not even negotiable, even Hammer. I guess I just see things differently.
Re: Bickell. Some players have explosive seasons and don't show up for the playoffs. We had Bickell Bolland and were losing to Boston 16 seconds later.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Caps have one Cup and the Hawks have the same as the Pens.

The point I'm making here is if it so easy to sustain success (as he was implying in his post), then how come no other teams have done it better?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Murphy has been good this year, still not as good as Hammer though. Will he be better in 2 years? Maybe, but I believe we are talking about why they are not good right now.

Yeah, Johns seems like a silly name to bring up.

We didn't have to give up TT to get rid of Bickell, surely there was another direction they could have gone.

The Saad for Panarin trade was bad, no matter what.

Stan has sucked a lot since 2015 Cup, but has been better this year, at least.

Any proof to the bold? Until you provide some this is not true. It is foolish to think he did not try to get the best deal available for the Hawks.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

giza

Jul 19, 2011
While Delia wasn't at his best, I thought Boston overwhelmed us with their fore check and had a lot of quality opportunties....could have been 8+ goals-----I didn't see what I would call "weak goals" I like the way this kid moves.

Reactions: AmericanDream

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
While Delia wasn't at his best, I thought Boston overwhelmed us with their fore check and had a lot of quality opportunties....could have been 8+ goals-----I didn't see what I would call "weak goals" I like the way this kid moves.

Wrong thread?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Any proof to the bold? Until you provide some this is not true. It is foolish to think he did not try to get the best deal available for the Hawks.
Proof? I'm simply saying there could have been a different way to go about it. Maybe not trade for Daley, trade Seabrook or Anisimov, trade a 1st round pick or a combination of prospects instead.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Meh, I see this as Bowman's way of trying to get players to want to play in Chicago.

Good ole fashion PR stunt.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Proof? I'm simply saying there could have been a different way to go about it. Maybe not trade for Daley, trade Seabrook or Anisimov, trade a 1st round pick or a combination of prospects instead.

So you have none, which is fine but I was hoping you had a article showing a better deal. Smart money says that this was the best deal available.

The AA trade saved money btw.

The Daley deal saved money as well but I do agree that he should have traded Sharp for picks at the draft (based on what was reported). The team was still trying to compete and Daley actually had ability but Q refused to use it.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Ya, I guess that's technically true. But, like you said, he's essentially saying 18-24 months before it's good enough to compete for a Cup, and that's what matters.
Agreed, I am just pointing out that "their mindset/belief" of this team hasn't really changed from the start of the year - nothing in what he says suggests they don't believe this team is good enough for the playoffs, in fact I see it as they feel they are right there as typically it takes more than 18 months to get from bad to "elite"...Bowman and Co said they felt this was a playoff team to start the year to the fans and I feel they still do now, they are only giving a reasonable timeline to what it would take to get back to the level we once were 4-5 years ago which most of us already knew. These comments are not going to indicate they will be selling at the deadline, in fact I see it as the opposite, they are building towards something and any players getting moved now (outside of Kruger and Kunitz) are NOT going to be fetching picks back, they will be getting actual players at the NHL level or right there...that fits the timeline, just draft picks do not.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Agreed, I am just pointing out that "their mindset/belief" of this team hasn't really changed from the start of the year - nothing in what he says suggests they don't believe this team is good enough for the playoffs, in fact I see it as they feel they are right there as typically it takes more than 18 months to get from bad to "elite"...Bowman and Co said they felt this was a playoff team to start the year to the fans and I feel they still do now, they are only giving a reasonable timeline to what it would take to get back to the level we once were 4-5 years ago which most of us already knew. These comments are not going to indicate they will be selling at the deadline, in fact I see it as the opposite, they are building towards something and any players getting moved now (outside of Kruger and Kunitz) are NOT going to be fetching picks back, they will be getting actual players at the NHL level or right there...that fits the timeline, just draft picks do not.

100% agree, and I think Bowman said that to Powers a few weeks back.

Picks don't help at the moment, unless they're top-10 picks.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Picks don’t help, but cap space certainly does
absolutely, but the time has come and gone to just say move out AA for a 2nd rounder - at this point we need younger players back, so smart hockey moves that not only free up cap space but helps RIGHT NOW/FUTURE is what is in play just like it was with the Manning trade and Schmaltz trade.

Anisimov can be moved in a package for a younger struggling player like Burakovsky/Bennett/whoever..that is the type of deal I would like to see right now - and yes I still would love a 2nd round pick for this draft, I think we can still add a pick or two if we get creative with Forsling/Perlini/Hayden/Kruger/etc...

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'd move AA for a pick and be done with it. Sure, if you can get a player who can help now that might be preferable, but I don't think the market is that big for him because of the extra years on the deal.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
IF the Hawks are going to sign a big UFA this summer then Anisimov’s cap hit needs to be moved. I’d be fine with just a 2nd rounder back.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Picks don’t help, but cap space certainly does

Prospects are certainly preferred for obvious reasons. However, picks could also be helpful in the form of currency to make trades with cap strapped teams like Toronto, Winnipeg and Tampa Bay in the offseason.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Prospects are certainly preferred for obvious reasons. However, picks could also be helpful in the form of currency to make trades with cap strapped teams like Toronto, Winnipeg and Tampa Bay in the offseason.

That too. However unlikely, if Trouba is being difficult in Winnipeg and the Jets want to trade him...our first this year + D prospect (not Boqvist)+ pick from AA trade might move the needle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad