News Article: Bowman lays out “ 18 to 24 months” timeline to hit elite tier

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Excellent, never doubted it. We’re nowhere near the point of the “Hossa addition.” Sit out free agency 1 or 2 more years, keep getting younger and things will turn around. Full confidence in Stan’s plan.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Excellent, never doubted it. We’re nowhere near the point of the “Hossa addition.” Sit out free agency 1 or 2 more years, keep getting younger and things will turn around. Full confidence in Stan’s plan.

Seems like he’s laying down the foundation to still sell at the deadline too. These comments were made before the Boston loss, while the win streak was still intact

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Seems like he’s laying down the foundation to still sell at the deadline too. These comments were made before the Boston loss, while the win streak was still intact

Hey, if Kane and others drag this team to the playoffs, great. But they can do that without the likes of Saad, Gus or whoever else Stan may want to move. If it makes sense for the future, do it without any consideration for the present or next year. I really like that he was direct about the 18-24 month timetable. It puts to bed any ideas of trying to contend next year unless it happens purely by power of will by whoever is left on the roster.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Hey, if Kane and others drag this team to the playoffs, great. But they can do that without the likes of Saad, Gus or whoever else Stan may want to move. If it makes sense for the future, do it without any consideration for the present or next year. I really like that he was direct about the 18-24 month timetable. It puts to bed any ideas of trying to contend next year unless it happens purely by power of will by whoever is left on the roster.

It’s really interesting he said that, and definitely goes against the “tried and true” PR lines delivered at the Colliton introductory press conference of this being a playoff team.

Either Bowman just kneecapped McDonough, and decided to stop lying to the fans, or the full front office has come to terms with reality.

Reactions: ChiHawk21

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It’s really interesting he said that, and definitely goes against the “tried and true” PR lines delivered at the Colliton introductory press conference of this being a playoff team.

Yeah, it does. That’s McDonough being a snake oil salesmen like I believe you and some others speculated at the time. I guess most of the ticket renewal money has been collected so the truth can come out.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeah, it does. That’s McDonough being a snake oil salesmen like I believe you and some others speculated at the time. I guess ticket renewal money has been collected so the truth can come out.

Ya, I got into a few arguments over that at the time. This is what I think should’ve been said from the beginning. Three months later, they’re saying it anyway. Not sure what those three months of “tried and true PR” did, but at least they’re being honest now.

Maybe they just didn’t want to say Q wasn’t good for developing players.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Ya, I got into a few arguments over that at the time. This is what I think should’ve been said from the beginning. Three months later, they’re saying it anyway. Not sure what those three months of “tried and true PR” did, but at least they’re being honest now.

Maybe they just didn’t want to say Q wasn’t good for developing players.

Probably was a lot of things that played into it, that aspect included. I’m actually more excited for the TD than I was when we were competing. There was always the worry of what other teams would do then but now it’s all about the Hawks and what returns they may get.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Probably was a lot of things that played into it, that aspect included. I’m actually more excited for the TD than I was when we were competing. There was always the worry of what other teams would do then but now it’s all about the Hawks and what returns they may get.

Plus there are so many buyers, this could be one of the best sellers markets in years.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
From the article:

As for Delia, the Hawks are sold on him as goalie-in-waiting. Whether Corey Crawford returns for the rest of this season and next (the last on his contract), plans are in place for Delia to take over. He is a decade younger than Crawford and has proved in the last two years, including a solid 13-game start this season despite a rocky night against the Bruins, that he’s worth the investment.

Coach Jeremy Colliton called Delia the most athletic goalie in the league, and he has the right mentality for the ups and downs of the job.

‘‘We signed him to a three-year deal because we expect him to be part of our future,’’ Bowman said. ‘‘He’s covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time. He hasn’t even scratched the surface of what he could become as a goalie.’’

Reactions: Malagahawks

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I wouldn't take that to mean they are going to sit out this off-season necessarily. Panarin/Stone would be signing 7 year deals.

Not saying they will get either but I don't read that to mean they won't go for it.

But I'm glad he doesn't seem to want to buy for this year as that would be short sighted.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I wouldn't take that to mean they are going to sit out this off-season necessarily. Panarin/Stone would be signing 7 year deals.

Not saying they will get either but I don't read that to mean they won't go for it.

But I'm glad he doesn't seem to want to buy for this year as that would be short sighted.

For sure, but now Stan dictates the terms on all moves as he is comfortable to wait as long as 2 more years. I’d bet he will throw something like an 8M AAV offer at Panarin to see if he bites.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Very few are untouchable on this team. The core is Kane, Toews, Cat, and Strome. Everyone on defense is fair game.

I’ve been impressed with Gus lately, I’ve been wrong about him. But if someone is going to offer you haul, you have to take it. Same with Saad or Keith or whoever. The roster needs a massive overhaul, and I appreciate that at least they’re not denying it anymore.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I'm just glad he came out and said this. Give the fans a timeline. No reason to keep spitting out this a playoff team and a playoff worthy roster. I don't mean it that way either. If they make the playoffs then great, I would love it.
I'm glad to hear him not parrot mcdounagh.
Looking forward to the deadline.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
BOTTOMLINE: we need to sell Anisimov's contract by the deadline.

* We're in no hurry to sell Gus. We can sell him in the summer or by next year's deadline IF he doesn't want to sign a team friendly deal. The Hawks have the leverage. We only trade Gus for a great return. We want a Grade A prospect ... not a bottom first round pick. Gus is a cheap young puck moving DMen. They are highly valued.

* Saad is a toss up. I have no problem if he sticks around. If someone offers a great deal, you take it. The Hawks also have leverage. When Saad is focused, he's a monster on the puck who can play defense. Focus is the issue. That:s what makes Saad so effective in the playoffs. Saad lives for the post season.

* Seabrook's contract is almost impossible to sell right now without giving up significant assets. Let's not be delusional.

* I don't see Keith waiving his NMC if he agrees with Stan's 24 month assessment. Keith can play out his contract and still be effective at least as a 3rd pairing in 2022.

* Kunitz, Kruger, and Perlini aren't going to fetch much in return.

* We have to think about trading Forsling unless he'll re sign for $2mn per for a few years. Unfortunately, we'd be selling at the bottom.

* I'm fine with Murphy ... still evaluating Dahlstrom.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Very few are untouchable on this team. The core is Kane, Toews, Cat, and Strome. Everyone on defense is fair game.

I’ve been impressed with Gus lately, I’ve been wrong about him. But if someone is going to offer you haul, you have to take it. Same with Saad or Keith or whoever. The roster needs a massive overhaul, and I appreciate that at least they’re not denying it anymore.
Unfortunately, you have to add Seabrook and Keith to the mix. They are not waiving their NMCs. I think Joker is close as untouchable without being untouchable as you can.

I bet the Hawks try to extend Kahun. They really like him.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
‘‘Sometimes your success can catch up to you, and you do your best to try to stave off that inevitability,’’ Bowman said.

Its not "inevitability" its bone headed moves done by him that handicapped the team these past few years...

Reactions: Hawkaholic

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
‘‘Sometimes your success can catch up to you, and you do your best to try to stave off that inevitability,’’ Bowman said.

Its not "inevitability" its bone headed moves done by him that handicapped the team these past few years...
It's really just the Seabrook contract.

He got out of the Hossa and Kruger contracts. Murphy is starting to play. Toews is almost living up to his contract again. He's worth a $9mn player. Kane is great. Keith's contract isn't terrible. The Panarin / Saad trade was bad ... but Saad is playing well enough. Who knows? Panarin could be back next year. Anisimov has a moveable contract.

Crow's deal is over in 2020. The Bickell contract was painful but you can't predict MS.

Let's say the Hawks make playoffs this year. That means next year looks better AND last year was our only really bad year. The farm system feels replenished.

If you really look at our roster / farm system / contracts, it's Seabrook's deal that's the BIG MISTAKE. You take his contract off the roster, Stan's in good shape to sign a legitimate top forward and DMen this summer ... with money to re sign Cat and Strome next summer.

It really comes down to Seabrook's contract.

Reactions: Esq

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
It's really just the Seabrook contract.

He got out of the Hossa and Kruger contracts. Murphy is starting to play. Toews is almost living up to his contract again. He's worth a $9mn player. Kane is great. Keith's contract isn't terrible. The Panarin / Saad trade was bad ... but Saad is playing well enough. Who knows? Panarin could be back next year. Anisimov has a moveable contract.

Crow's deal is over in 2020. The Bickell contract was painful but you can't predict MS.

Let's say the Hawks make playoffs this year. That means next year looks better AND last year was our only really bad year. The farm system feels replenished.

If you really look at our roster / farm system / contracts, it's Seabrook's deal that's the BIG MISTAKE. You take his contract off the roster, Stan's in good shape to sign a legitimate top forward and DMen this summer ... with money to re sign Cat and Strome next summer.

It really comes down to Seabrook's contract.

Dude he only had ONE year of Bickel to get rid of and gave away TT as a sweetener? If that is not a HUGE MISTAKE then I don’t know what it is. People can twist it and turn it how they want but that was ridiculous from day one and go see the trade in the main board everyone was mind boggled by that trade.

Then came the Danault which was also very stupid from day 1, I think that was a big mistake too as you had a guy that is still getting paid very little performing very well for his role as a legit shut down third line centre.

Then you have Panarin for Saad? This is not big? I am not even gonna get into this one.

The sharp trade was idiotic giving up Johns too?

The Hammer trade was just dumb, I don’t see what people see in Murphy, I don’t get it personally, he might be a little better than the rest of the young D in the back end but that’s not saying much as the bar is very low. Like I said before he’s a good 5-6 guy on a playoff team and this is 2 years into his contract and he is overpaid. I would rather take Hammer at 5Mill than Murphy at 4.

Seabrook is just a mistake that leaves a team handicapped for more than half a decade. Most teams have 80M to play with but the Hawks have 7 M less.

The mistakes are endless my friend, this is not to mention a bunch of moves that he had to fix as he went on and patch them up. These moves are why the team is garbage now. Imagine this team with TT/Panarin/Danault right now, yes it would be much better that’s not even negotiable, even Hammer. I guess I just see things differently.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Not much to read here imo. They’re going to trade Anisimov when they can and look to add Panarin in the summer and maybe more youth up front. Sit and wait for their defense prospects to figure it out. That seems to be the plan.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Dude he only had ONE year of Bickel to get rid of and gave away TT as a sweetener? If that is not a HUGE MISTAKE then I don’t know what it is. People can twist it and turn it how they want but that was ridiculous from day one and go see the trade in the main board everyone was mind boggled by that trade.

Then came the Danault which was also very stupid from day 1, I think that was a big mistake too as you had a guy that is still getting paid very little performing very well for his role as a legit shut down third line centre.

Then you have Panarin for Saad? This is not big? I am not even gonna get into this one.

The sharp trade was idiotic giving up Johns too?

The Hammer trade was just dumb, I don’t see what people see in Murphy, I don’t get it personally, he might be a little better than the rest of the young D in the back end but that’s not saying much as the bar is very low. Like I said before he’s a good 5-6 guy on a playoff team and this is 2 years into his contract and he is overpaid. I would rather take Hammer at 5Mill than Murphy at 4.

Seabrook is just a mistake that leaves a team handicapped for more than half a decade. Most teams have 80M to play with but the Hawks have 7 M less.

The mistakes are endless my friend, this is not to mention a bunch of moves that he had to fix as he went on and patch them up. These moves are why the team is garbage now. Imagine this team with TT/Panarin/Danault right now, yes it would be much better that’s not even negotiable, even Hammer. I guess I just see things differently.

Murphy has already shown this year that you are wrong and while Hammer has been much better this year he was bad last year and the half season before that. Maybe if Q had a clue and used Murphy last year like he should have...oh wait he pouted like a baby and took it out on Murphy. Murphy is a solid to good 4 on a contender (he is just as good as Oduya).

Johns? Really?

Bickell? Let me know when you can diagnose MS better than doctors...we will wait.

You can’t bitch about AP when you called Saad a superstar.

Seabrook deal sucks so we agree about that.

Last edited:

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014

Please point me at the extensive list of teams that have been able to sustain success more than the Hawks have over the last decade.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Please point me at the extensive list of teams that have been able to sustain success more than the Hawks have over the last decade.

If you don't consider cups and just regular season, I guess the Capitals are really the only team. 12 straight years with a .550 winning percentage or higher is pretty solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad