News Article: Bowman lays out “ 18 to 24 months” timeline to hit elite tier

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Stan has stated that he knows the guys projected to go in the 1st round very well and watches them a fair bit. After that he lets Kelley and the team takeover.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Didn't need hindsight to tell you the Weise deal was a complete joke and disaster when it was made

I pointed that out as well as others but we were shouted down by Stanley's fanboys who vehemently declared it a great trade and then somehow tried to defend Weise/Flash horrendous play
You wanted to sell in 15.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Stan has stated that he knows the guys projected to go in the 1st round very well and watches them a fair bit. After that he lets Kelley and the team takeover.

He, and every other GM, know their top 40-50 ranked players very well. On average, they know the top 2 rounds of picks on a pretty high level. After that, it does start to drop off as far as how much they've actually seen, noted, scouted of the players themselves, and they defer much more heavily on their staff. But ultimately, their name is on every pick whether they do well or they flop. They're signing off on it.

I hate war-sports comps, but Ive used the comp before that a General isn't behind enemy lines himself scouting and spying on the enemy, their subordinates are, and they're taking the information of those people in the field to make the best decision going forward for the entire group based on that data and information gathered. It's their call, and the success or lack thereof falls squarely on their shoulders. An NHL GM is "in the trenches" a bit more than a 5-Star General, but they're largely examining ALL of the data and information received from their staffs and making the best decision, in their opinion, based on the data given and what they envision for the organization and its future.

So, yes, they do rely heavily on their staff, but it's up to them to have good people in place to make good decisions and gather good information, and to suggest they have ZERO say over any of that is just foolish, to put it mildly.

EDIT: It's worth noting, there isn't a GM in the league (hell, probably all of pro sports) that has 100% firsthand knowledge of their entire draftboard. They're pulled in so many directions in their day-to-day duties that it's not possible. They all rely on their staffs to do the lion's share of that work, which comes back to having the judgement and knowledge to hire good people for those positions. That, in and of itself, is a skill; hiring good people.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
You wanted to sell in 15.
For reference, I did too but that was based on Kane being out until the WCF. You can't blame him for that. He was working with the information known at the time. Nobody knew that Kane was coming back for round 1. I would have had a completely different take if I had known that Kane was going to be back for game 1 of the playoffs.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
For reference, I did too but that was based on Kane being out until the WCF. You can't blame him for that. He was working with the information known at the time. Nobody knew that Kane was coming back for round 1. I would have had a completely different take if I had known that Kane was going to be back for game 1 of the playoffs.

Yes you can. The Hawks CLEARLY knew he would not be out that long so the made the move. Wanting to sell in 2015 was a stupid take.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yes you can. The Hawks CLEARLY knew he would not be out that long so the made the move. Wanting to sell in 2015 was a stupid take.

Not that it matters but I think you are wrong if you think Hawks knew Kaner would be on the ice to begin the PO's.

As I recall it was at least going to be the 2nd ... or possibly 3rd round according to the doctor's prognosis.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
trying to defend BWC????

well....

tumblr_pi8u1uDAYw1xkok61o1_400.gif

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It was never wise to sell at any point in 2015. The Hawks were 13-7-1 without Kane, going into the playoffs. They were playing good hockey, and he was due back anywhere from EIGHT to twelve weeks.

Pretty sure he came back right at 8 weeks? As soon as he had surgery and had the hardware put in, I figured he would be back by the 2nd round at the latest.

Nashville going into the playoffs was 7-11-3...

Wild were 15-6-1. Blues were 12-7-3....

Selling would have been monumentally stupid even if Kane wasn't back until the conference finals.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
trying to defend BWC????

well....

tumblr_pi8u1uDAYw1xkok61o1_400.gif

I can't stand the guy's takes either, but I don't blame him at all for that one. The Hawks obviously knew more about Kane's injury than we did and it was obvious by the Vermette trade that Kane was coming back for game 1 of the playoffs. If there was any doubt that Kane wasn't going to be ready by playoff time, he had the correct take on that one. They don't get past Nashville without Kane.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Barely more than 1. And he wasn't great the second season, and they didn't want to sign him. They won a Cup with the exact same team minus Daley, he wasn't important.

Multiple just like I said. Stop trying to argue against a fact.

They actually did try to sign him but Detroit offered more.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Multiple just like I said. Stop trying to argue against a fact.

They actually did try to sign him but Detroit offered more.
When I think of multiple years I see it as more than just over 1 season. It's besides the fact. He wasn't great, and they didn't care to sign him or they would have matched DETs offer. He wasn't important enough and they won a Cup without any contribution from him.

He sucked and still sucks.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
When I think of multiple years I see it as more than just over 1 season. It's besides the fact. He wasn't great, and they didn't care to sign him or they would have matched DETs offer. He wasn't important enough and they won a Cup without any contribution from him.

He sucked and still sucks.

He played 50 plus in 2 seasons.

They didn’t have the space.

Just a situation where Q refused to used the player.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Not that it matters but I think you are wrong if you think Hawks knew Kaner would be on the ice to begin the PO's.

As I recall it was at least going to be the 2nd ... or possibly 3rd round according to the doctor's prognosis.

We disagree but neither have a way of proving the other wrong so it is what it is.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He played 50 plus in 2 seasons.

They didn’t have the space.

Just a situation where Q refused to used the player.
If he was important, they would have made space.

Q played him as much as he deserved, just not as much as Daley wanted , so he wanted out.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

If I'm not mistaken, the Hawks had to play coy as the League complained they were gaming the LTIR system. Kane came back for the first game of the playoffs. Go figure?!?!

While Kane's injury was real and serious ... the Hawks took advantage and probably gamed the system.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Dallas fans were wrong just like Q was.
. A post by you in the search thread...LOL

You love numbers yet you are missing that Daley was still not good. The Penguins and their forwards ability to maintain possession (speed) was the key factor in hiding Daley's inability to play defense. How can you actually try and say Seabrook was in the bottom 5 of all top 4 D and then claim Daley was good. The Penguins possession game was so good at the end they were able to hide Daley and Schultz.

How are you also missing the fact that Daley has a 3+ million dollar cap hit next year?

No one has any idea if Sullivan influenced Rutherford. Chances are not great that he did.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
We disagree but neither have a way of proving the other wrong so it is what it is.

You're right.

Daley could have been a real asset if utilized properly. It was Q showing early signs that he didn't know how to coach the modern game. We saw exactly the same thing later when he couldn't acknowledge the contribution that Kempny could bring. Too bad really.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
. A post by you in the search thread...LOL

You love numbers yet you are missing that Daley was still not good. The Penguins and their forwards ability to maintain possession (speed) was the key factor in hiding Daley's inability to play defense. How can you actually try and say Seabrook was in the bottom 5 of all top 4 D and then claim Daley was good. The Penguins possession game was so good at the end they were able to hide Daley and Schultz.

How are you also missing the fact that Daley has a 3+ million dollar cap hit next year?

No one has any idea if Sullivan influenced Rutherford. Chances are not great that he did.

The search thread?

I was actually defending Q because I thought but Daley wasn’t very good. I was wrong as he looked good the very next year again. Kempny is another q eff up.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don’t really pin Daley on Q too much. He was playing #4-5 minutes and asked for a trade off the reigning cup winner because he felt slighted.

Stan messed up by trading him for a total bum in Rozi 2.0 in Scuderi.

Reactions: Fortyfives

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The search thread?

I was actually defending Q because I thought but Daley wasn’t very good. I was wrong as he looked good the very next year again. Kempny is another q eff up.
The search function...whatever. he was the same the next year as he was previous. He was never great, and wasn't worth getting upset about. Kempny is the only D man Q f***ed up on outside of over playing guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad