Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - D [2019: 4th Overall] Part II: Now serving a side of overconfidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
I don't think he'll get any playoff games, as Sakic won't want to have to resign him in 2022 instead of when we have a natural 'reset' in 2023 with Donskoi/Compher/Johnson/etc hitting UFA. But it will do him a lot of good to practice with the team ahead of next season.
Agreed. But he'd be a nice insurance in case of injuries in a deep run :naughty:. Anyway, my response was more to Dater reporting earlier that the team had informed Byram they were not expecting him in Denver this summer. At this point we should start taking Dater seriously. We only need to negate his statements each time...

Reactions: Richard88

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It’s probably unlikely he gets into a game, but I’d have him second in line.

Timmins would be my first choice to get in, then Byram. Barberio’s obviously got a lot more experience, but I think Byram is already better.

IMO there's almost zero chance that either kid leapfrogs Barbs for a spot in the upcoming playoffs.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
IMO there's almost zero chance that either kid leapfrogs Barbs for a spot in the upcoming playoffs.

I tend to agree, considering Barberio played like 20 games with the Avs this year.

But, I’m not convinced Barbs is better than those guys.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
We can use him for 9 games. The plan is more than likely to play him full time in the NHL next season so we'd not use those 9 games anyway.
Ahh nice. For some reason I thought that the slide rule was different for playoff games, whereby an ELC year would be used by just a single playoff game. I think that was the case with Makar but now that I checked he wasn't eligible for a slide so it was a different situation to Byram's. In that case I completely agree that we may as well include him in the roster, as he's certainly better than whatever other #9/10 Dman we would include. Chances are he wouldn't get over 9 games so it would be pretty safe to do so anyways. And even if he does get that many games it's probably because we're in the Stanley Cup final in which case I wouldn't worry too much.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I don't think he is as NHL ready as Cale was going into his playoff series so I think it would be a mistake to play him. If it was up to me he wouldn't be on the team starting next year either but I can't imagine he will be going back to the WHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He's going to at least get a game... if he looks good, I see Bednar giving him a chance. A high-end puck mover on each pairing is a complete pain in the ass to deal with and a serious advantage that is rare in the NHL. If Bo can be used as a 6/7D and be effective, it gives the Avs an extra element. Bednar isn't afraid to go with 7D either to make it work.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Do the round robin and play-in games count as regular season games, in the sense that they count against the 9 games rookies have?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Do the round robin and play-in games count as regular season games, in the sense that they count against the 9 games rookies have?

They are not going to count as regular season nor playoff games. They are their own thing... they will count against the slide rule.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I read they're giving each team an exhibition game or two, maybe they give him some ice time there but I'm sure he's going to get the Kaut treatment even if he runs with any chances Bednar gives him. I wouldn't burn a year on him anyway. If the Avs go deep enough that they sustain multiple injuries (or multiple positive tests) then throw him in, you might not even get to nine games anyway.

His biggest opening is Zadorov. Z starts the season so f***ing slow and after 4 months off I'm not expecting anything different. We probably won't see playoff mode Zadorov to finish out his time with the Avs.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Other than an injury, I think someone would need to come back out of shape or play really poorly (looking at you, Zadorov) in order for Byram to actually get in games. Even in that scenario it could take multiple players coming out for him to play because he's probably not next in line.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Other than an injury, I think someone would need to come back out of shape or play really poorly (looking at you, Zadorov) in order for Byram to actually get in games. Even in that scenario it could take multiple players coming out for him to play because he's probably not next in line.

giphy.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
All the teams not playing in the qualifying round are paying one exhibition game right?

I would bet Byram plays in that game and that was the major reason they did this. They get to see how he looks against NHLers in a meaningless game.

Helps them get a better idea of how close he is to NHL ready before they make their off season moves. Then they bump him down the depth chart to draw in after a couple injuries. Unless he pulls a Makar and looks so good they have to play him.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
All the teams not playing in the qualifying round are paying one exhibition game right?

I would bet Byram plays in that game and that was the major reason they did this. They get to see how he looks against NHLers in a meaningless game.

Helps them get a better idea of how close he is to NHL ready before they make their off season moves. Then they bump him down the depth chart to draw in after a couple injuries. Unless he pulls a Makar and looks so good they have to play him.
If it's just one game, I disagree. They will want their regulars sharp and ready to go for the games that matter. If it's 2-3 games he could get a look.

Reactions: ljb4 and Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If it's just one game, I disagree. They will want their regulars sharp and ready to go for the games that matter. If it's 2-3 games he could get a look.

Yeah that's a good point since it's only one game. I would say they could go with 7 D, but even then I think you'd want the forward being scratched to get a game in.

Maybe the NHL lets teams ice more than the normal 20 players though. I'm sure coaches would like the healthy scratches to get an exhibition game in too.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Byram - Makar
Timmins - Girard
Graves - Scrub, maybe EJ

Would be awesome to see in a couple seasons.
I think Bednar would spread the puckmovers out a bit more on D to have 3 dominant pairs in transition, rather than have a limited 3rd pairing. Under Bednar we usually see pretty even splits in icetime among the 3 pairs at 5v5.

Byram ---- Makar
Girard ---- Johnson
Graves --- Timmins

Or

Graves --- Makar
Girard --- Timmins
Byram --- Johnson

Reactions: MaKarter

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
It is not just injuries, a Covid positive test could knock multiple players out of the lineup. I know the Avalanche want the Kaut and Byram contracts to slide, but if they reach the Western Conference Finals, you want your best players to make a run at the Cup.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It is not just injuries, a Covid positive test could knock multiple players out of the lineup. I know the Avalanche want the Kaut and Byram contracts to slide, but if they reach the Western Conference Finals, you want your best players to make a run at the Cup.

Yeah that's why it doesn't make sense for any of the top contenders to not bring guys like Byram along.

If it's the first round or two, maybe there's an argument not to burn Byram's first year, but if they're in the Conference Finals or the Finals like you allude to, I think you have to burn that first year if they've got multiple injuries/positive COVID tests and are down to low scoring AHLers. Especially if they're down an offensive defenseman or two and need Byram's mobility/offense.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Vancouver Giants GM did a quick hit on Byram.

• He’s heard no confirmation Byram is heading to Colorado but admits Joe Sakic isn’t likely to call him to tell him. Says a lot of NHL clubs are bringing their young kids in now for expanded rosters. He says it should be fun for Byram and he’s very deserving of it.
  • Byram has been training ‘in the lower mainlands at the delta center academy’ with Ian Gallagher
  • He ran into Byram outside of a sushi shop and Byram “looks like he’s ready to play in the NHL. He’s bigger and he’s stronger. He looks good I was really impressed”

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/playlist/listen-25339.html

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Vancouver Giants GM did a quick hit on Byram.

• He’s heard no confirmation Byram is heading to Colorado but admits Joe Sakic isn’t likely to call him to tell him. Says a lot of NHL clubs are bringing their young kids in now for expanded rosters. He says it should be fun for Byram and he’s very deserving of it.
  • Byram has been training ‘in the lower mainlands at the delta center academy’ with Ian Gallagher
  • He ran into Byram outside of a sushi shop and Byram “looks like he’s ready to play in the NHL. He’s bigger and he’s stronger. He looks good I was really impressed”

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/playlist/listen-25339.html
Awesome to hear. Gally’s old man is supposedly a lunatic lol. Lucic credits him with toughening him up.

Reactions: Ararana

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I like how Byram looks ready to play in the NHL next season. He will probably have nowhere else to play.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Not sure if anybody mentioned this yet, but I think outside of injuries mounting, Byram’s best chance to get into the playoffs is Bednar benching Zadorov.

If Z annoys Bednar perhaps he turns to Byram. Probably still unlikely, but you never know considering how frustrated Bednar was with Zadorov this season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I like how Byram looks ready to play in the NHL next season. He will probably have nowhere else to play.
Man that's going to be a disaster for every player in development leagues if that happens.

Don't want guys like Newhook to miss an entire year of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad