Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - D [2019: 4th Overall] Part II: Now serving a side of overconfidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Well, the term I use is "goon" and that IMO is the proper nomenclature. Teams don't really have them anymore and rightfully so. I don't even know why anyone would be trying to shoehorn the term to try and apply to a physical defenseman.
Yhea, I agree that its a good thing that "goons" or "enforcers" or whatever word is appropriate are a dying breed.

I wasn't trying to start an argument. I just thought it was funny that Ryan Graves's name be linked to that sort of player. I think he has a single fight in his NHL career...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yhea, I agree that its a good thing that "goons" or "enforcers" or whatever word is appropriate are a dying breed.

I wasn't trying to start an argument. I just thought it was funny that Ryan Graves's name be linked to that sort of player. I think he has a single fight in his NHL career...

Yeah I think we're in agreement here, and FTR I didn't take it as argumentative.

Reactions: GoNordiquesGo

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
When is he switching to #18?

We're already letting one of our top prospects destroy himself

Alex_Newhook-Boston_College_large.jpg

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I got bored last night so I thought I'd take a crack at it. I tried to get highlights of all his points but apparently WHL highlights are the wild west, but I think I got most of them.

I like how you can tell around the 10 minute mark he’s heating up. That last goal was my favorite from the last game he played in. Tied the game with a minute left after that one in the clip too.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Watching that, one thing I noticed is he's really good at looking off defenders when he makes a pass on the power play. He doesn't telegraph his intentions much, that's a great quality to have in a PPQB.

The guy’s got a big ol hockey brain. It’s definitely his best attribute.

He makes it look easy a lot of the time. Super smooth.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Watching that, one thing I noticed is he's really good at looking off defenders when he makes a pass on the power play. He doesn't telegraph his intentions much, that's a great quality to have in a PPQB.
Hes both really bad and really good at this throughout those highlights not sure if he improved or what the story is... at times he’s gliding along the point with his shoulders squared up to a guy along the wall it’s a disaster waiting to happen imo. Then he does these absurd passes and no look behind the backs that are right in guys’ wheelhouse.

Crazy he scores 3 or 4 goals with next to no net to shoot at on a zero angle

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The combination with Makar is otherworldy. Makar has all the tools and skates really fast up the ice, Byram is a blue-line rover with the highest hockey iq. I love it.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
The one thing that stands out to me is his no look passing on the power play. The pass seems to always be right in the wheel house and I can just picture Mikko hammering that home time after time.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The one thing that stands out to me is his no look passing on the power play. The pass seems to always be right in the wheel house and I can just picture Mikko hammering that home time after time.
I can see that backhand drop-pass being very effective with Mackinnon on the PP.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
More likely he'll be feeding that one time pass to Burakovsky on the second PP unit (maybe Hall on the left side :naughty:), but man did Makar and MacKinnon struggle so much this season with getting that one timer pass down. I'm going back and rewatching Avs games and October was brutal between Makar and MacKinnon on the PP.

I do think Byram will steal the second PP's defenseman spot from Girard (when everyones healthy) within his first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad