Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - Canada’s Savior - Thread 2.0

What do you expect from Byram?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Who would Byram be playing with? Any chance he gets PP time?
I say little to no chance he gets PP time. We have so many PMDs we're using two of them on PP2. And honestly, I don't want him to get lots of PP time. There's no need to add that responsibility to his shoulders as a rookie on a deep team like this. Just one less thing to learn as he gets used to the NHL.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I say little to no chance he gets PP time. We have so many PMDs we're using two of them on PP2. And honestly, I don't want him to get lots of PP time. There's no need to add that responsibility to his shoulders as a rookie on a deep team like this. Just one less thing to learn as he gets used to the NHL.
I wouldn't mind running 2 dmen on PP1. Kadri is kinda useless on that unit and PP2 could use a better forward than JTC or Donskoi.

PP1: Mack - Rants - Landy - Makar - Byram

PP2: Bura - Kadri - Saad - Girard - Toews

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I really hope he plays because I want to know how much his skating has improved. Personally speaking, I've noticed a noticeable difference between his D+1 and this season.

Reactions: Barklez

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
If Byram turns out to be a legit NHL caliber PP guy, I see no reason the Avs wouldn't use two D on the PP for both units. It's been the trend in recent years to use four forwards, but that probably suits the personnel of most teams. San Jose uses Karlsson and Burns on their top PP.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I understand letting Byram get some more practice and reps with the team, but sitting him out tonight and playing him tomorrow is no benefit from that perspective. There won’t be any practices before today’s game or tomorrow’s game. Just morning skates. Now an extra game to watch to study systems might be of some benefit but there won’t be any physical benefit to holding him out tonight.

I’m hoping we get surprised and see him lace up tonight. EJ clearly isn’t up to speed. Gilbert wasn’t awful or anything but it’s Dennis Gilbert so we don’t need to gift him games. Sit those two and get Bo into action tonight!

Reactions: Avs71

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I understand letting Byram get some more practice and reps with the team, but sitting him out tonight and playing him tomorrow is no benefit from that perspective. There won’t be any practices before today’s game or tomorrow’s game. Just morning skates. Now an extra game to watch to study systems might be of some benefit but there won’t be any physical benefit to holding him out tonight.

I’m hoping we get surprised and see him lace up tonight. EJ clearly isn’t up to speed. Gilbert wasn’t awful or anything but it’s Dennis Gilbert so we don’t need to gift him games. Sit those two and get Bo into action tonight!

Not to mention LA is far easier competition than Anaheim right now. Good lord this kings team sucks.

But I'm still betting his first game is tomorrow. I'm not sure why Bednar wants the second game of the back to back specifically. I doubt they lean on Byram in his first game for the fresh legs factor and playing 7 D this early in the season, no one is going to be that gassed for tomorrow. But I honestly do trust that Bednar knows what he's doing, it certainly sounds like they've had tomorrow's game circled for Byram for a while now.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’ve had no issues really with Timmins play so far. I don’t think he’s been a massive standout, but he’s getting the job done. If Byram can enter the league in a similar fashion I’ll be fine with that.

Of course, I’ll expect more from Byram long term and hopefully he goes on an upward progression through the season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Byram should get the same rope the fan base gives Timmins at least.

He has to earn that rope though. There's no gifting players that kind of leeway when you're a cup contender trying to win your division for the easiest route to the cup final.

Byram still hasn't actually shown anything at the NHL level yet. Timmins has looked Excellent so far this year.

Bo will get his chance to show what he can do, the Avs already made sure to create that opportunity when they traded Cole. Now its up to Byram to show he was worth the move.

If Byram steps in when he gets his opportunity and plays well, he'll get his rope.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Question.

For those saying Timmins has been excellent and fantastic is that your opinion of his play relative to expectations? Or do you believe he’s been excellent/fantastic as you would normally rate any NHL defenceman?

To me, Girard was fantastic in game 2, Toews was excellent in game 3. Maybe I’m just quibbling over words here.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Question.

For those saying Timmins has been excellent and fantastic is that your opinion of his play relative to expectations? Or do you believe he’s been excellent/fantastic as you would normally rate any NHL defenceman?

To me, Girard was fantastic in game 2, Toews was excellent in game 3. Maybe I’m just quibbling over words here.

I would guess the majority of us had zero to low expectations for Timmins so in regards to the bolded, I'd say it's both.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Timmins has been okay IMO. He's limited his mistakes and can mostly keep up, though watching him skate is painful when he's on the ice with guys like MacKinnon-Makar-Girard. That's one area I'm expecting Byram to have him left in the dust in the moment Byram steps on the ice.

I was going to post that we should all enjoy Byram's debut because he's the last blue chip prospect we'll see in a while then I remembered we have Newhook. lol Sakic you sly son of a bitch.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What’s wrong with Timmins? I’ve never been as high on him as most but he’s looked fantastic this year. He’s an NHL defenseman and with the ceiling to become a damn good one.
Yup, his skating has gotten him into a couple shaky situations, but his decision making with the puck is very impressive. He always seems to make a good pass or put the puck in a spot that’s beneficial to his line mates.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Question.

I would say relative to what his role on the team is.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Sometimes being a quick or agile skater can actually limit the amount of time you have to make the right or safe play. So maybe in a weird way Timmins' skating is an advantage for him. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad