Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - Canada’s Savior - Thread 2.0

What do you expect from Byram?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Loaded. This is the best and deepest the Avs have ever been on D. Timmins and Graves are top 4 on a lot of NHL teams. Girardo is top pair on lots of teams. Gilbert looked like a huge upgrade on Connauton or that spaz Barbario. Now we add Byram? Sheesh. We could have seven defenders worthy of top 4 minutes around the league.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I wouldn’t trade any other defenceman. Injuries are going to happen and the added depth is really nice.

The only way I trade someone is if Byram breaks into the league like Makar did. If that happened I’d probably move Graves, but I don’t see a need to make a trade at this point.
Given this teams history with injuries I wouldn't trade anyone today. I don't anticipate Bo taking the league by storm like Cale so I think we have some time before we HAVE to make a trade. There was a time when we didn't have 1 good dman so just enjoy this for now because we have some good ones.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Might be the best group of D the Avs have had in a generation.
Maybe because of Girardo. That dude appears to have found another level. Kid is all of 22 years old and he looks supremely confident. He appears to be an even better skater. If he’s on the Kings, he’s top pair. Easy. Kid looks so so so good.

his contract gives me a a happy feeling in my heart.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Gilbert was fine I thought. I barely noticed him. He didn't play much and didn't make any glaring mistakes, that's all you can ask from a depth D.

That said, I hope we don't have to see him much this year. This D is so special I really don't want injuries to spoil the perfection that we're going to get to see soon.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I’m pretty curious to see how he’ll look in the NHL. When I watch him at the WJC, he looks stronger, faster, more skilled than a lot of the comp. But for the NHL, he’ll be pretty average size/strength. He’s a good skater but he doesn’t look like Cale or Miro or Q Hughes out there. So I guess we’ll have to see, how quickly does he process the game.

One thing Bo will need to work on is keeping his feet moving. He's such a cerebral player and good skater, that at the lower levels he can coast a bit and wait for the right plays to present themselves.

In the NHL he won't have that much time. Forecheckers will jump on him quickly, and back checkers will close on him just as fast carrying the puck up ice. He'll need to make plays at a much faster pace.

Everyone goes though this though and I'm sure they're already preparing him for it. You just need those reps in NHL games to feel the difference and know how much you need to adapt.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Ah right, my bad. Thanks for correcting me.

I guess coming in on the 2nd night of the b2b makes sense too in a way.

You make a good point about having Grubauer in net for Bo's NHL debut. I think you'd want to have an NHL goalie back there to cover for any potential mistakes, so they don't burn him and affect his confidence.

Bo needs to be playing on his toes with swagger. Not that safe approach he tends to take sometimes in new situations like he did last year with the Avs.

I have a feeling they may go with Grubauer in both the back to backs though. These points are too important in the shortened season. Unless they think Francouz will be out a long time and want to make sure they don't burn out Grubbie.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You make a good point about having Grubauer in net for Bo's NHL debut. I think you'd want to have an NHL goalie back there to cover for any potential mistakes, so they don't burn him and affect his confidence.

Bo needs to be playing on his toes with swagger. Not that safe approach he tends to take sometimes in new situations like he did last year with the Avs.

I have a feeling they may go with Grubauer in both the back to backs though. These points are too important in the shortened season. Unless they think Francouz will be out a long time and want to make sure they don't burn out Grubbie.
I think they would play Grubi through the b2b to give Frank a bit more time and if they win that first game in Anaheim then it’s easier to stick Miska in the Sunday game if needed.

I think Bednar has been hinting at Friday all week. I mean he said he wouldn’t tell people when then goes Bo needs 4-5 days on the ice. Do the math it’s not hard. Bednar is usually very honest if people are paying attention and understand how he phrases things. He’s not going to put info on a silver platter for the idiots to make headlines but rewards those who listen to him.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Times like these it's pretty frustrating how vague the Avs are about injuries. I wonder if Francouz's injury is still the same one from the playoffs, or if it's just a coincidence it's another lower body injury. Not a good sign if it is lingering post surgery, but we have no idea.

Also I almost feel like there has to be something with our trainer or goaltender coach at this point that's a major issue. It can't be a coincidence (it probably is, but still) that Varlamov, Grubuaer, and Francouz have all dealt with major lower body injuries with their time on the Avs.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
When or if the Avs have the full compliment of their 7 D available, especially as they're getting Byram integrated, I imagine they'd role with 11 forwards and 7 D. They can effectively shelter Byram early on and if Burakovsky is back it could be an opportunity to send a message to some guys you need more from like Compher.

Reactions: Richard88

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Times like these it's pretty frustrating how vague the Avs are about injuries. I wonder if Francouz's injury is still the same one from the playoffs, or if it's just a coincidence it's another lower body injury. Not a good sign if it is lingering post surgery, but we have no idea.

Also I almost feel like there has to be something with our trainer or goaltender coach at this point that's a major issue. It can't be a coincidence (it probably is, but still) that Varlamov, Grubuaer, and Francouz have all dealt with major lower body injuries with their time on the Avs.
I remember last season or the season before Marner got hurt and before the end of the game we knew what it was and how long he was going to be out lol.

Reactions: PAZ

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Who would Byram be playing with? Any chance he gets PP time?

Most likely in a sheltered role beside EJ or Graves, no chance he gets PP time unless it's an absolute blowout. Expect 8-12 minutes his first game unless he absolutely dominates. If you're asking for fantasy reasons, I would not expect him to be a great choice for the next year or two minimum.

He's going to have to prove he's better in the O zone over Makar, Toews, and Girard. Not going to be an easy task. I believe the coaching staff will mainly want him to focus on his two-way game and outlet passing, once he's proven he's consistently solid in those areas we'll probably see him get more ice-time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad