Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - Canada’s Savior - Thread 2.0

What do you expect from Byram?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
What are realistic expectations for this kid?He’s supposed to be the best defensive prospect not in the nhl but hasn’t been able to get a look in on the avs roster. One of the youngest in his draft year. What does he become and how soon can he be on an avs roster?

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I have no clue. I've never even seen him play an NHL game. I'll develop expectations once I see more of him playing against NHL-level competition.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He’ll never be the Avs number one defenceman, but I’ll stick with what I thought on draft night that he can be a number one caliber D.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What are realistic expectations for this kid?He’s supposed to be the best defensive prospect not in the nhl but hasn’t been able to get a look in on the avs roster. One of the youngest in his draft year. What does he become and how soon can he be on an avs roster?
Byram turned 19 a few weeks ago. I was entering my freshman year of college at the same age. What is this expectation he’s supposed to be an nhl star at this age? He could also be going into his freshman season at Univ of whatever.

jack Hughes. Huge prospect. Easy pick number 1 overall. He and Kakko just slogged thru hard rookie years. Mack had a much better rookie year but he wasn’t so great in years 2 and 3. Most guys don’t come into the nhl as teens ready to thrive. Didn’t happen for Hughes or Kakko.

let these teens develop a little is my advice. Byram had a strong D+1 season as an 18 year old. A lot better than a guy like Turcotte. Let’s be happy about that.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He's got a lot of potential as the prototypical modern defenseman. Mobile, smart, likes to have the puck on his stick, and sound defensively.

That said, it's tough for me to say I definitely see a future #1 there. His offense benefits a lot from the lack of structure in the CHL and playing against much less talented competition. I don't think he'll be quite as dynamic when he breaks in. Fortunately, his defensive fundamentals are sound, and after he gets broken in I see him being a reliable two-way workhorse on the top pair who can punish teams who try to shut down Makar, but maybe not ever a guy you would love to have as your #1.

A lot will depend on how much of his offense translates, and how quickly he adapts to NHL speed when he's defending. I expect his rookie year to freak people out because it will be up and down, but given time I think he can be a strong #2 and excellent yin to Makar's yang.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He's got a lot of potential as the prototypical modern defenseman. Mobile, smart, likes to have the puck on his stick, and sound defensively.

That said, it's tough for me to say I definitely see a future #1 there. His offense benefits a lot from the lack of structure in the CHL and playing against much less talented competition. I don't think he'll be quite as dynamic when he breaks in. Fortunately, his defensive fundamentals are sound, and after he gets broken in I see him being a reliable two-way workhorse on the top pair who can punish teams who try to shut down Makar, but maybe not ever a guy you would love to have as your #1.

A lot will depend on how much of his offense translates, and how quickly he adapts to NHL speed when he's defending. I expect his rookie year to freak people out because it will be up and down, but given time I think he can be a strong #2 and excellent yin to Makar's yang.

I can see Byram being similar in regards to Barrie how he get his points. Jumping off on the rush, backdoor plays, etc. On this team he could hit 40 points pretty easily just by being in the right spot after space is created by Makar, Mackinnon, Rantanen, etc.

Think of how many chances Graves get by being the 4th player jumping up onto the ice. Byram should do more with those opportunities than Graves does.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I can see Byram being similar in regards to Barrie how he get his points. Jumping off on the rush, backdoor plays, etc.

Think of how many chances Graves get by being the 4th player jumping up onto the ice. Byram should do more with those opportunities than Graves does.
I think of EJ, too, when he used to just get on his horse and rush up the ice with the puck. Playing with the puck is a big strong suit of Byram's, I think if teams try to key in on Makar on that pairing he could really make them pay. He's just generally good at jumping into gaps and exploiting sloppy coverage.

That's why I suspect his offense will drop down a bit at the NHL level. There's just less of that kind of anarchy in the offensive zone, teams are way more disciplined. He's got the talent to make an impact, just maybe not what everyone is going to hope for based on his point totals in juniors.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think of EJ, too, when he used to just get on his horse and rush up the ice with the puck. Playing with the puck is a big strong suit of Byram's, I think if teams try to key in on Makar on that pairing he could really make them pay. He's just generally good at jumping into gaps and exploiting sloppy coverage.

That's why I suspect his offense will drop down a bit at the NHL level. There's just less of that kind of anarchy in the offensive zone, teams are way more disciplined. He's got the talent to make an impact, just maybe not what everyone is going to hope for based on his point totals in juniors.

I don't think i've seen many people here expect him to be a PPG defenseman, or even a 60 pt defenseman. Most people i've seen have the expectation of being a 40-50 point producer in his prime, which is pretty realistic if he transitions well.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't think i've seen many people here expect him to be a PPG defenseman, or even a 60 pt defenseman. Most people i've seen have the expectation of being a 40-50 point producer in his prime, which is pretty realistic if he transitions well.
That's the thing, I think even 50 points is a long shot. Maybe in a career year where the Avs offense goes off again, but 30-40 is more where I see it for most of his career. Like I said, you see his numbers in the WHL and think they go down a little to 40-50 points, but I think they likely drop a bit more than you'd expect because of the style he plays and the advantages he has at the junior level. Some of the things that make him pop in the WHL will evaporate against NHL competition.

50 points is a hell of a lot for a blueliner. Most years, that would put you close to the top 10 in D scoring. And top 10 offense in the NHL is just not what I think his potential is, if we're being realistic. He'll more than pull his weight as a two-way pivot to make up for not being John Carlson, but offensive star is just setting your sights too high.

Last edited:

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I don't really think 50 points is out of the question. He won't score as many goals as he did in junior unless he improves his shot, but he is a fine playmaker from the backend.

Speaking of our D prospects, I wonder what happens with Helleson with the uncertainty of the college season. He is nowhere near ready for pro leagues, as I believe the AHL (if it ever gets going) would stifle his offensive development and would push him to a more stay at home role which would be a shame. I'd like nothing better than for these kids to go play in Europe and I think the Allsvenskan would be a great league for someone like him, but sadly that will never happen.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ideally:

#1: Makar
#2: Byram
#3: Girard

If we can have this then we're in business. G on the second pairing can play with pretty much any type of dman. If Timmins then fine, if someone else then fine too as long as it's a RHD, Girard isn't nearly as good when he's playing on the right side.

It's also possible that Byram has to be the PMD on his pairing, in this case he'd play on the 2nd pair and G would play with Makar.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad