Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - Canada’s Savior - Thread 2.0

What do you expect from Byram?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
With a lot of Byram's game being reliant on his IQ, I think it'll take him the better part of this season to get settled in the NHL. He's got a lot of the necessary tools to be a high-end defenseman, but it usually takes a little longer for the more cerebral players to get adjusted to higher leagues. I'm just hoping Bo doesn't get blown up too badly when he doesn't dominate right out of the gate.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is exactly what I’ve been trying to encourage caution about.

Kid is great and is going to be great but it’s unreasonable to not expect a bumpy ride here for the first half season at least. Last year he wasn’t at an NHL level. Expecting anything above (net) competent NHL-level play with some highs and lows, and flashes in his strength areas, is setting him up for failure.

Yeah, since I contributed to some of the hype with that video, I think I should also point out that we should keep our expectations low, and then be pleasantly surprised if he surpasses them early on.

We shouldn't be expecting him to transition as quickly as Makar did, because Bo is almost a year younger.

Cale was 20 and a little over 5 months old when he made his debut in the playoffs. Byram is 19 and 7 months old.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Timmins/Girard do compliment each others game pretty well with the puck, but off the puck they don't, simply because neither of them is particularly big or physical (and in Girard's case that's especially the case), causing them to struggle on the cycle.

If it turns out that Girard absolutely needs a big strong shutdown type next to him and Timmins can't fill that role, then Timmins could find himself the odd man out among our up and coming RHD's. Particularly if Helleson keeps developing as he has and shows that he can play that 'shutdown' role next to Girard in the not to distant future.

As for fitting 5 top 4 Dmen into this D group, something will indeed have to give at some stage. A good problem to have certainly. I again see Timmins as being the odd man out in case it becomes an issue between Toews/Makar/Girard/Byram/Timmins. Though if we can get through a couple of years before that becomes a serious issue then I think we could get close enough to the end of Toews' contract to the point where you consider trading him and running with Byram-Makar/Girard-Timmins, or some variation of that.

As for what they'd be traded for, a goalie could become a need sooner or later if Grubauer's groin doesn't hold up, possibly as soon as this season. In which case having a spare top 4 or top 6 Dman would come in handy in a goalie trade. Alternatively we could probably fetch a pretty solid middle 6 C.

I mean... Timmins certainly isn't small. He's 6'2" and I would venture to guess he's pushing 195 this year with the added muscle.

He's not gonna be Zadorov on the ice with his physicality, but he also doesn't need to be and he and Girard on a pairing together would be quite fine defensively.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I mean... Timmins certainly isn't small. He's 6'2" and I would venture to guess he's pushing 195 this year with the added muscle.

He's not gonna be Zadorov on the ice with his physicality, but he also doesn't need to be and he and Girard on a pairing together would be quite fine defensively.

Thankfully he isn't Z in the IQ department either!

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
God I HOPE he's better defensively than Ozolinsh. I wouldn't mind the offense though.

He will be. Byram’s been seen as a two-way guy for a long team.

Ozo was a damn good offensive D-man though, I doubt Byram can replicate what he brought to the table offensively.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Not a single part of his game is similar to Ozo's. Ozo was a rover, he wouldn't know what a defensive zone is if you showed it to him on a map. He was supremely agressive and always gambling like crazy. Byram while a great skater and offensively talented plays nothing like that, he didn't play like that for the Giants and he sure won't play like that in the NHL.
You either didn't read what I said or you're just looking to argue.

I specifically said Bo reminds me "a little" of Ozo. The key phrase being "a little". I specifically said they called Ozo the Wandering Latvian because he was all over the ice and had the skating ability to pull it off. I also specifically said that I think Bo will end up being better defensively that Ozo.

Bo was joining the rush more than any other Dman in the WJC just played. He also joined the rush a lot in Vancouver. He has the skating ability to pull it off though because he was frequently the first man back; just like Ozo.

Reactions: flyfysher

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

You're right that Timmins isn't short, but we're yet to really see him use his size to his advantage that much on the boards, at all. That isn't to say that he doesn't have that in physical facet of play in him, but we're yet to see it, and the one game he played with Girard so far he wasn't very assertive in the Dzone (though it was the first game of the season admittedly so I'm willing to wait and see more).

I mean, there's a reason why Bednar changed the bottom 2 D pairs after the first game, as there was clearly something about Girard/Timmins he didn't like. And I think it was the size mismatch against the cycle that was the reason.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
You're right that Timmins isn't short, but we're yet to really see him use his size to his advantage that much on the boards, at all. That isn't to say that he doesn't have that in physical facet of play in him, but we're yet to see it, and the one game he played with Girard so far he wasn't very assertive in the Dzone (though it was the first game of the season admittedly so I'm willing to wait and see more).

I mean, there's a reason why Bednar changed the bottom 2 D pairs after the first game, as there was clearly something about Girard/Timmins he didn't like. And I think it was the size mismatch against the cycle that was the reason.

I think it could be a very good long-term pair, but that would be my one concern.

Timmins is still so new to the NHL though that he could very easily add that to his game as he becomes more comfortable.

Reactions: PAZ

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't know if I have a comparison for Byram's overall play, but in the offensive zone he reminds me quite a bit of Barrie. Not exactly high-end skill, but the hockey IQ makes up for it. They also have similar traits of how they approach the offense, no hesitation to jump into the rush, slide into the slot, or go in deep if that's the play.

I think it could be a very good long-term pair, but that would be my one concern.

Timmins is still so new to the NHL though that he could very easily add that to his game as he becomes more comfortable.

Timmins has never really needed to add physicality to his game because he was so good at his positioning and stick in the lower leagues. In the NHL I do think he'll have to add some physicality since he doesn't have the skating ability to avoid it. It's also something we do severely lack on the back-end since none of Girard, Makar, or Toews are overly physical.

Reactions: Richard88

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
If Bo can keep the style he played in the WJC and obviously elevates it to the NHL level he'll be a beauty. I liked his D game quite a bit and I liked his O game quite a bit too. I actually think he was a bit unlucky he didn't get more points in the recently concluded WJC. He made some great passes that guys didn't convert for whatever reason.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What I'm looking forward to the most with Bo, is seeing his skills and IQ be utilized properly with skilled and smart NHLers.

I could have made a separate highlight reel of Bo jumping down low, or making a great pass that his linemates didn't take advantage of at the WJC.

There were literally about 10 times in his 7 games that he jumped down low and was wide open for a back door pass, but never received it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think the Doughy comparable is the best one for Bo's playing style.

Not sure if he can get to Drew's level, but Bo has the same combination of being a great skater and really skilled, but makes sure to focus on his defensive responsibilities, and is willing to make hits and throw his weight around, despite not being a really big guy.

He's also really confident like Doughty and can make either the flashy or the simple plays when needed.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don't know if I have a comparison for Byram's overall play, but in the offensive zone he reminds me quite a bit of Barrie. Not exactly high-end skill, but the hockey IQ makes up for it. They also have similar traits of how they approach the offense, no hesitation to jump into the rush, slide into the slot, or go in deep if that's the play.

Timmins has never really needed to add physicality to his game because he was so good at his positioning and stick in the lower leagues. In the NHL I do think he'll have to add some physicality since he doesn't have the skating ability to avoid it. It's also something we do severely lack on the back-end since none of Girard, Makar, or Toews are overly physical.

Toews and Girard don’t really hit people, but Makar will. Not all the time, but it’s a part of his game.

I agree. I don’t see Timmins ever becoming an imposing force in that area, but I hope he becomes just a tad nastier. It would help our top-4.

I really hope Byram carries forward that edge to his game that he displayed in junior. I think he’s got the most potential in that area of all our defenceman.

Reactions: Richard88

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think the Doughy comparable is the best one for Bo's playing style.

Not sure if he can get to Drew's level, but Bo has the same combination of being a great skater and really skilled, but makes sure to focus on his defensive responsibilities, and is willing to make hits and throw his weight around, despite not being a really big guy.

He's also really confident like Doughty and can make either the flashy or the simple plays when needed.
He should ask Drew for some pointers tonight like when Kobe asked Jordan about his fade away.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'd take a Timonen for 10 years. He put up double digit goals in a five out of six year span and registered 40-50 points seven straight years. His defensive game wasn't bad either.
It might actually be beneficial for us if 'all' Byram becomes is a Timonen, rather than a Doughty. At least until we get him locked up long-term. If he hits Doughty territory we're going to have a really hard decision to make due to the cap, as we won't be able to keep all of Mackinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Byram, and Makar.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Toews and Girard don’t really hit people, but Makar will. Not all the time, but it’s a part of his game.

I agree. I don’t see Timmins ever becoming an imposing force in that area, but I hope he becomes just a tad nastier. It would help our top-4.

I really hope Byram carries forward that edge to his game that he displayed in junior. I think he’s got the most potential in that area of all our defenceman.

Makar is opportunistic when it comes to hitting but that's about as far as his physicality goes. In the defensive zone he's not different than Girard in terms of physicality.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Definitely will be with the team all year and a legit part of the group.

Thought he looked good tonight, all things considered, but a bit scary at times in the D zone and no real standout moments offensively - although the game moved him away from having more of those opportunities just as he started taking them.

Overall a solid NHL game and showed that he belongs, just needs to get comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad