Confirmed with Link: [BOS/TBL] Brett Connolly for 2015 and 2016 2nd round picks

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I really don't get why this trade happened at this point in the season. Even if Connolly was going to be moved eventually, why now? Why for draft picks? This weakens our offense and depth, so I'm just not sold on the timing of this trade. Connolly could have been useful in the playoffs. As a contender, we shouldn't be selling pieces for picks at the TDL unless we plan to flip those picks.
Because yzerman lost a 1st and a 3rd rounder but replaced them with 2 2nd rounders! That's a solid return for bret Connolly we sold him at his peak. Then you add coburn and give drouin more ice time! We still got a nhler vladdy sitting in the ahl.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Connolly's value was the highest it has been since he made the NHL roster. Based on Yzerman's comments in his interviews, he would not have made the deal for Coburn had he not received two seconds for Connolly.

Yzerman mentioned he views this as a three way trade.

Gudas, Connolly, 1st, 3rd for Coburn, 2 seconds

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I really don't get why this trade happened at this point in the season. Even if Connolly was going to be moved eventually, why now? Why for draft picks? This weakens our offense and depth, so I'm just not sold on the timing of this trade. Connolly could have been useful in the playoffs. As a contender, we shouldn't be selling pieces for picks at the TDL unless we plan to flip those picks.

How does more minutes for Drouin instead of Connolly weaken our offense? The fourth line is the fourth line...come playoff time expect big minutes out of top three lines + Boyle killing penalties and taking defensive zone face-offs. Yzerman stated that they did both trades simultaneously - so he was still looking at the future when making these trades. He said the trades were almost conditional on the other one going through - almost like a three way trade is what he said.

I'm not losing any sleep over losing Connolly tbh. I'd like to think....giving up a first and a third and getting two seconds is a wash. Coburn for Gudas + Connolly I'd do all day.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Connolly's value was the highest it has been since he made the NHL roster. Based on Yzerman's comments in his interviews, he would not have made the deal for Coburn had he not received two seconds for Connolly.

Yzerman mentioned he views this as a three way trade.

Gudas, Connolly, 1st, 3rd for Coburn, 2 seconds

I'm loving the deals and especially when looked at them together.

Also I'm a big fan of Connolly but I have no problem giving him up to smooth out the deal for Coburn.

Big jump up for our defense. The Lightning now is the team of the East.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I have never been a Connolly fan, but his play has definitely improved over the course of this season. This drove up his trade value, but it also drove up his value to us. I hope that we don't end up regretting letting him go, especially to Boston. Our old players always seem to score against us, and Boston is not a team we need to be giving an advantage to.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
im in the corner of wish we could have kept brett for playoffs but totally understand it yzerman wanted his picks and got them and is fairest deal we would have probably gotten at any point for brett for anytime soon or the future.

I dont think we give the keys to drouin as most of you expect weve played brown on second in past.

Just really hope coburn can be the defender we needed and carle comes back and we fix the power play then it might be all worthwhile NOW

we will see am sad for brett especially going to boston arghhh we are losing people to toronto boston and philly YUCK

the traitor went to ny could live with that these others? OUCH FOR THEM

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

All that really makes sense is Yzerman didn't want the guy on the team, to the extent that he was willing to sell him the moment he got proper value.

We can say what we want, but nobody else on this roster was going to get sold for draft picks heading into the playoffs. It's a Seller's move. The only explanation is Yzerman doesn't think it weakens us and either thinks it's a lateral move, internally, or addition by subtraction.

I was as impressed with Brett lately as anybody, but you don't sell a guy like that this time of year if you think he's a quality addition to your roster. Not if you're not getting a player back. This reveals Yzerman/management's internal assessment of Brett.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
All that really makes sense is Yzerman didn't want the guy on the team, to the extent that he was willing to sell him the moment he got proper value.

We can say what we want, but nobody else on this roster was going to get sold for draft picks heading into the playoffs. It's a Seller's move. The only explanation is Yzerman doesn't think it weakens us and either thinks it's a lateral move, internally, or addition by subtraction.

I was as impressed with Brett lately as anybody, but you don't sell a guy like that this time of year if you think he's a quality addition to your roster. Not if you're not getting a player back. This reveals Yzerman/management's internal assessment of Brett.

Yzerman also wasn't going to get two 2nd rounders had he waited. Though part of me wishes he would have, i was looking forward to seeing Brett's physical play in the PO.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yzerman also wasn't going to get two 2nd rounders had he waited. Though part of me wishes he would have, i was looking forward to seeing Brett's physical play in the PO.

Maybe. A big playoff performance from Brett and we would have gotten a lot more.

IMO, this shows a pretty clear lack of faith in the player from management. I don't think there's another roster player we would have sold for picks right now, because that would be selling out the season--if the player was useful. Teams in our position don't actively make themselves worse in the present for the sake of the future. This is a pretty clear sign that Yzerman doesn't believe the move makes us worse in the present.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Maybe. A big playoff performance from Brett and we would have gotten a lot more.

IMO, this shows a pretty clear lack of faith in the player from management. I don't think there's another roster player we would have sold for picks right now, because that would be selling out the season--if the player was useful. Teams in our position don't actively make themselves worse in the present for the sake of the future. This is a pretty clear sign that Yzerman doesn't believe the move makes us worse in the present.

I must agree, at least to an extent. The reality is that we had too many F and this deal is at least half decent. Who is Connolly going to displace in our top 6? Especially when you realize Drouin is soon in line for more ice time, it's at least borderline sensible. My only real complaint is that we lost physicality upfront.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Connoly+Gudas+1st+3rd for Coburn+2 2nds is a bad deal.

Just when you look at the individual deals does it start to look like overpayment(in the Coburn deal)

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

Just when you look at the individual deals does it start to look like overpayment(in the Coburn deal)

I mean, we got the best piece and had the spare winger and bottom-pair guy to burn. I was hoping we wouldn't pay a 1st, though.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008

I mean, we got the best piece and had the spare winger and bottom-pair guy to burn. I was hoping we wouldn't pay a 1st, though.

You go 15-20 spots down on one pick and 15-20 spots up on another pick. Seems like a wash to me.

Which means, Connolly(4th liner)+Gudas(6th dman) for Coburn(Top 4 dman).

Looks like an easy win to me.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
im in the corner of wish we could have kept brett for playoffs but totally understand it yzerman wanted his picks and got them and is fairest deal we would have probably gotten at any point for brett for anytime soon or the future.

I dont think we give the keys to drouin as most of you expect weve played brown on second in past.

Just really hope coburn can be the defender we needed and carle comes back and we fix the power play then it might be all worthwhile NOW

we will see am sad for brett especially going to boston arghhh we are losing people to toronto boston and philly YUCK

the traitor went to ny could live with that these others? OUCH FOR THEM
Yuck gudas in philly really hurts me I'm going to hate watching the beard play us in the orange. As for connolly I wish him the best but ya Robert it has to be freaking Boston! Yuck oh well

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Too much pressure coming off a trade, I doubt Connolly makes any sort of splash with the Bruins right away, he's has never been good in pressure situations.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Bruins fan here, what can we expect from Connolly? The only time I really paid attention to him was at the World Juniors and I was impressed with his speed and shoot first mentality. It also seems like he didn't get a hell of a lot of ice time in Tampa, what's the ceiling for this guy? 20-30 goal scorer?

Just curious!

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
It's funny how he went from bust to major prospect on the boards once he got traded

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Bruins fan here, what can we expect from Connolly? The only time I really paid attention to him was at the World Juniors and I was impressed with his speed and shoot first mentality. It also seems like he didn't get a hell of a lot of ice time in Tampa, what's the ceiling for this guy? 20-30 goal scorer?

Just curious!
if put in your top six with legit center leading charge he can be live able or like able but dont expect much he doesnt drive offense he works off the others primarily he seems to have hit a new gear and is playing a more physical style he can be a 20-30 goal scorer but I am not sure boston is a good home him at all. Hes 22 he got passed by johnson (undrafted) palat (7th round) kucherov 2nd round etc.. He never got a legit shot in my eyes and brings some nice elements but doesnt lead the pack so to speak.

If he gets his shot he might become legit over time and really I think he will but probably when hes like 25 and somewhere else.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think this is a fantastic return for Connolly. The kid didn't have a spot for him here anyway. I wish Brett all the best except for when he's playing us.

Good knowing ya, kid.

Now we can play BOTH Brown and Morrow... lol

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yea the return was really good for a guy who wasn't going to be around for much longer. I liked the game he was playing and think he would have been better to have for the playoffs but we got too good of a deal to pass up.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

Just curious!

Has a nice shot, but doesn't necessarily think the game very well. Started playing like a Bruin about a month ago because he was pushed out of the top-6 by Kucherov and others. If he's given top-6 minutes, I think he can be a 20ish goal per year guy.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

You go 15-20 spots down on one pick and 15-20 spots up on another pick. Seems like a wash to me.

Which means, Connolly(4th liner)+Gudas(6th dman) for Coburn(Top 4 dman).

Looks like an easy win to me.

I just realized I put down "bad" deal. That's what I get for not sleeping any last week.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Two 2nds probably mean at least one will be Russian. Has worked for us so far. :)

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Just curious!

What my fellow Bolts fans said. Plus you'll get a lot of answers starting with "yeah, no, for sure" in interviews!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad