Confirmed with Link: [BOS/TBL] Brett Connolly for 2015 and 2016 2nd round picks

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If you would have told us a 2-3 months ago we would be getting two 2nd rounders for him we would have said no way. He has improved since then but still it's a nice haul.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Turns out we were in fact Boston's secret deal. Interesting stuff from Lebrun: http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...ne-boston-bruins-gave-their-all-load-deadline

Chiarelli did acquire Brett Connolly, a first-round pick of the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2010 who might yet blossom into a nice top-six forward for the B's, which is more of a long-term play at this point and not as much of a playoff-impact piece for this season. It's a hockey deal, though, one that could pay off. Other GMs around the league were surprised Connolly was moved, because they were unaware he was even available.

I got a text from a Western Conference general manager around 3:30 a.m. ET Monday saying, "Was Brett Connolly really traded?"

Now, just what kind of player Connolly becomes remains to be seen, but it's certainly worth a gamble.

Chiarelli and Lightning GM Steve Yzerman quietly worked on that deal for a few weeks, contingent on the Lightning making the other trade they made (defenseman Braydon Coburn from the Philadelphia Flyers) in terms of getting defensive help.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
That makes me a little sad, if other GM's were surprised because they didn't know he was available leads me to believe we could have gotten a better haul for him

Not sure about that.

it almost sounds like

BOSTON GM .... . Hey Stevie I know I would be over paying by giving you two seconds for Brett but if you stick to your promise not to shop him around I'll give you those 2 seconds that you want and i'm ready to pull the trigger when you get your other deal for the D lined up. I understand you can't do one with out the other.

STEVIE ........ Thanks your a good sport. ok and as you know i'm looking for D and I'm going to have to give up a number one to get it done. So I know you only wanted to give one second but it has to be two seconds and if you give me two seconds I promise i won't shop Brett.

BOSTON GM ... You got Stevie

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
That makes me a little sad, if other GM's were surprised because they didn't know he was available leads me to believe we could have gotten a better haul for him

I don't buy that. Baertschi (sp?) got a 2nd, and they have almost exactly the same pedigree.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There also might have been some morale related consequences to openly shopping a roster player for draft picks in the middle of a playoff push. This way it was kept quiet and then just happened.

Rip the bandaid off quick.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

You'd think Yzerman would at least check interest in the West before making a trade with a divisional rival.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not sure about that.

it almost sounds like

BOSTON GM .... . Hey Stevie I know I would be over paying by giving you two seconds for Brett but if you stick to your promise not to shop him around I'll give you those 2 seconds that you want and i'm ready to pull the trigger when you get your other deal for the D lined up. I understand you can't do one with out the other.

STEVIE ........ Thanks your a good sport. ok and as you know i'm looking for D and I'm going to have to give up a number one to get it done. So I know you only wanted to give one second but it has to be two seconds and if you give me two seconds I promise i won't shop Brett.

Yup. It would be cool to be the fly on the wall over the 24 hours before the deadline hits. Hear all the negotiations and which players were involved.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
A GM texts Lebrun - was Brett Connolly really traded? Sounds like garbage to me...what GM would check to see about a trade with Lebrun if it was really a secret trade? I mean the trade goes through, its called out...then a GM checks with Lebrun to see if true?

Sounds and smells like garbage. Lebrun is an idiot...good way to get page views though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A GM texts Lebrun - was Brett Connolly really traded? Sounds like garbage to me...what GM would check to see about a trade with Lebrun if it was really a secret trade? I mean the trade goes through, its called out...then a GM checks with Lebrun to see if true?

Sounds and smells like garbage. Lebrun is an idiot...good way to get page views though.

...Lebrun is pretty much 1B to McKenzie. It makes a lot of sense that a GM would contact him. Players themselves were being notified they were traded via the media yesterday--one of them on air.

If a GM hadn't texted him, he could have worded it a lot differently to convey the same message. I don't doubt he got the text. `

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Not sure about that.

it almost sounds like

it fits perfect for boston with connolly because his next contract won't kill them with the cap.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
I don't know how I feel about this.

We kept Brown which is good but Connolly's ceiling is higher.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't know how I feel about this.

We kept Brown which is good but Connolly's ceiling is higher.

And what kind of return can you get for Brown? Connolly wasn't going to reach his ceiling here, that much was clear, great return and we sold high on him.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yep, too much talent in front of him to develop properly. Could be amazing for both BC and Boston and a solid deal for us because we get the value. Just wish it wasn't to Boston.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think Brown is all he'll ever be, sadly. Dana Tyrell 2.0, without the knee problems.

That's fine though - not everyone can be Drouin. Brown has a spot on this team, and it's one he fits well.

Morrow is the one that feels like a square peg to me. Boyle with his size is a surprisingly good skater, so you don't always feel like he's behind the play - Morrow doesn't really have that. He's slow, and it's noticeable on such a fast team.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Morrow is the one that feels like a square peg to me.

Agreed. He looks very out of place on our team. He'll be good vet leadership for this playoff push, but that's about all he's bringing. I'll be extremely surprised if we re-sign Morrow or, honestly, if anyone does. Awesome guy, and he's had a great career, but I have to think he's pretty much done.

Connolly now has his big chance to show what he can do. I'd just prefer it not be against us.

:laugh:

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Ok. Hope he's ok and it's not the same as when Yzerman traded Brewer and he got injured in like his first game with the ducks.

I like Connolly and hope it's nothing serious, would really suck for him.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Ok. Hope he's ok and it's not the same as when Yzerman traded Brewer and he got injured in like his first game with the ducks.

I like Connolly and hope it's nothing serious, would really suck for him.

Man it's like Yzerman knows this stuff is gonna happen. First Brewer and now Connolly.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Brown is a 4th liner. He is perfect for what he is IMO. Lol at the notion of a Brown trade allowing us to trade for Coburn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad