Confirmed with Link: [BOS/TBL] Brett Connolly for 2015 and 2016 2nd round picks

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Weird.

Was just starting to not think of him as a complete waste of a first round pick. Hose will be devastated and IS will be on walking on air.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Weird.

Was just starting to not think of him as a complete waste of a first round pick. Hose will be devastated and IS will be on walking on air.

That's the only time Yzerman trades anybody. When their value is up. I thought when we were giving Connolly never-ending PP time despite him being absolutely invisible (mid-year) that we were trying to inflate his value enough to trade him.

This actually isn't as much like the Conacher deal as it's like the Purcell situation. We pretty clearly tried to inflate Purcell's value enough to move him. It didn't work. In Connolly's case, because he took matters into his own hands and started hitting everything that moved, it did work.

But I wouldn't be surprised to learn Yzerman had his mind set on moving Connolly for months. If this was a spur of the moment thing, we would have gotten a player back.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I wake up thinking that nothing muchhave happened during the night...how wrong I was. Sad to see both Connolly and Gudas go but I trust SY with this and the way he have always made the moves he feel is right for the team.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I wake up thinking that nothing muchhave happened during the night...how wrong I was. Sad to see both Connolly and Gudas go but I trust SY with this and the way he have always made the moves he feel is right for the team.

i know i thought this was going to be a boring sit back do nothing deadline for us glad i was wrong

5pointslow

Feb 11, 2015
Taunton ma
Bruins fan here coming in peace , was wondering what can we expect out on him ?

given the ice time ? 2nd line guy maybe now or down the road ?

good luck tampa you guys are rolling this year !

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
i know i thought this was going to be a boring sit back do nothing deadline for us glad i was wrong

Yzerman always says he's going to be patient and that he will not overcommit but he's been pretty active in past off-seasons and this TDL.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I think that an integral part of the Yzerplan is the element of surprise.

Just remember to never get overly attached to any one player and you'll be ok.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

I think he will be a 3rd line nhl player scores 15 to 20 goals a season a 20-20 type of guy. he has 12 goals with us and he has been playing on are 4th line most of the season.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Tough to say as Connolly was kinda a victim of our absurd depth at forward. He spend a lot of time on our 4th line but worked his way onto our PP (partly due to Cooper running out of options in hope of fixing the PP though). I think he could definitely handle 2nd line minutes. He's started to play the body on a regular basis as of late so that alone is a good fit for the Bruins. He's got a great shot but mediocre vision and hockey IQ. So in a nutshell: Finisher with a newly developed gritty touch, 2nd/3rd line RW.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

He'll be a better fit with you than with us. 20 goals most years, and maybe a 30 goal season or two somewhere down the line. Who knows how good he can be on a functional PP?

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
What's weirder is...

Why now? Why not at the draft? Why does a contender trade a player off their roster for picks right before the playoffs?

Gotta be more coming. Yzerman must need the picks for another move.

It could just be that Boston needs someone now and Yzerman figured this is the most he'll ever get for Connolly.

5pointslow

Feb 11, 2015
Taunton ma
I think he will be a 3rd line nhl player scores 15 to 20 goals a season a 20-20 type of guy. he has 12 goals with us and he has been playing on are 4th line most of the season.

Tough to say as Connolly was kinda a victim of our absurd depth at forward. He spend a lot of time on our 4th line but worked his way onto our PP (partly due to Cooper running out of options in hope of fixing the PP though). I think he could definitely handle 2nd line minutes. He's started to play the body on a regular basis as of late so that alone is a good fit for the Bruins. He's got a great shot but mediocre vision and hockey IQ. So in a nutshell: Finisher with a newly developed gritty touch, 2nd/3rd line RW.

He'll be a better fit with you than with us. 20 goals most years, and maybe a 30 goal season or two somewhere down the line. Who knows how good he can be on a functional PP?

i know you guys have some serious depth , so maybe this works out for both teams in one way or another . I think its a gamble to picks 2nds but maybe with the right chance with minutes and new scene it may work well

once again thanks for info ....best of luck

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It could just be that Boston needs someone now and Yzerman figured this is the most he'll ever get for Connolly.

Is that worth opening a hole on the roster for the playoffs? I don't see it. If he got a 1st +, maybe, but 2nds for two years running, I mean...

For whatever else, Connolly was useful. If we don't make another move, we'll have to dip into Syracuse. If we bring up Namestnikov, he's a blah player in that role, and at the same time we sink Syracuse's season.

Can't see Yzerman doing this without a move for a F in mind.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

Where does he play on the PP? I think the Bruins could really benefit from a RHS on the left wing to bury the feeds from the right side of the ice, where the Bruins usually run the PP from.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Where does he play on the PP? I think the Bruins could really benefit from a RHS on the left wing to bury the feeds from the right side of the ice, where the Bruins usually run the PP from.

He'll be money for you then.

There's no denying his shot.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Is that worth opening a hole on the roster for the playoffs? I don't see it. If he got a 1st +, maybe, but 2nds for two years running, I mean...

For whatever else, Connolly was useful. If we don't make another move, we'll have to dip into Syracuse. If we bring up Namestnikov, he's a blah player in that role, and at the same time we sink Syracuse's season.

Oh ya I definitely agree we pick up a forward today.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Me neither. And remember: Rumors of us looking to add a top-6 forward kept popping up several weeks ago. I'm not sure it'll be top-6 but adding a top-9 vet going into the last 18 regular season games and the playoffs isn't the worst idea.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

He's got a great shot and he's recently discovered a physical element. Not sure how the two will work together if he gets a top 6 role in Boston, but his offensive talent is undeniable.

Issue with Connolly is that when he doesn't have his physical game going, he leaves you scratching your head and wondering what he brings to the team.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Honestly, I don't even know what to expect. I feel like he's got all the talent in the world - pretty decent body, good skater, great shot...

Dumb as a box of rocks.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
What's weirder is...

Why now? Why not at the draft? Why does a contender trade a player off their roster for picks right before the playoffs?

Gotta be more coming. Yzerman must need the picks for another move.

I couldn't agree with you more. The timing to pull a move like this seems odd and could bite us in the rear. Yzerman probably knows some thing(s) we don't. Maybe he's trying to compensate the loss of picks for the Coburn trade ? Maybe he's damn well sure Drouin is on the verge of breaking out ? Maybe he feels Namestnikov is capable to replace his production ? Maybe Connolly is the new Conarcher ?

Many question mark. I'm not a big fan of this move for the moment because Connolly brought scoring depth, but we'll see soon enough how it turns.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I couldn't agree with you more. The timing to pull a move like this seems odd and could bite us in the rear. Yzerman probably knows some thing(s) we don't. Maybe he's trying to compensate the loss of picks for the Coburn trade ? Maybe he's damn well sure Drouin is on the verge of breaking out ? Maybe he feels Namestnikov is capable to replace his production ? Maybe Connolly is the new Conarcher ?

Many question mark. I'm not a big fan of this move for the moment because Connolly brought scoring depth, but we'll see soon enough how it turns.

Well, I'll point out the obvious and say we've got plenty of scoring depth as it is. Connolly was a luxury in that regard.

His game had gotten a lot better lately, in that he looked like an NHL player. But I think part of it is Yzerman wanted to insure he had the pieces to make the move for Coburn (in that the draft picks were "replaced"). We were going to have a logjam next year at forward again - and still might, but this eases the pressure somewhat, and gives us more draft picks to boot.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
I really didn't want to let him go. It sort of makes some since if I weigh the Coburn deal and want to resign him after the season instead of Connolly who was up for a raise and also given cap realities.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Well, I'll point out the obvious and say we've got plenty of scoring depth as it is. Connolly was a luxury in that regard.

His game had gotten a lot better lately, in that he looked like an NHL player. But I think part of it is Yzerman wanted to insure he had the pieces to make the move for Coburn (in that the draft picks were "replaced"). We were going to have a logjam next year at forward again - and still might, but this eases the pressure somewhat, and gives us more draft picks to boot.

Yep, seems more & more those 2 trades are linked and it's definitely a defensive minded move. I think we'll miss Connolly at times but in the end Coburn addresses a glaring weakness. In short it was a no brainer.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Yep, seems more & more those 2 trades are linked and it's definitely a defensive minded move. I think we'll miss Connolly at times but in the end Coburn addresses a glaring weakness. In short it was a no brainer.

I mean...

I think we're going to forget about Connolly by the first puck drop of next season. His recovery in our eyes wasn't that he was living up to potential - it's that he wasn't a complete waste of space out there. He did nothing to make himself irreplaceable.

Like I said, he finally looked like an NHL player. But he played like a bottom sixer, and really only looked good in that role. Two seconds for a bottom six player that doesn't PK and isn't great defensively?

I take that every day.

SFY moved two VERY replaceable pieces and made us a better team. I like it.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm out! It was fun talking to you guys but that's it, two 2nd round picks when there's no need to sell and to damn Boston too. Jumping to the Avs board, best of luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00