Confirmed with Link: [BOS/TBL] Brett Connolly for 2015 and 2016 2nd round picks

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Don't RFAs basically have to sign eventually (even if they go through arbitration)?
I think so but they can be offer sheeted and the team that technically has the rights to said player has to pay the contract that said other team offer sheeted them at, as long as that player signed, might be, or probably wrong though

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
They don't "have" to, but it would more/less mean taking a season off.

If the Lightning said they were willing to pay $X dollars, Boston would have to match it dollar for dollar. But Boston would have the final say either way.

That's how I've always understood it.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
They don't "have" to, but it would more/less mean taking a season off.

If the Lightning said they were willing to pay $X dollars, Boston would have to match it dollar for dollar. But Boston would have the final say either way.

That's how I've always understood it.

Yeah same as I always have understood it
The Flyers offer sheeted Weber a few years back and Nashville matched and Weber therefore re-signed with the Preds iirc

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
If he's arbitration eligible and the team refuses to pay that he becomes a UFA I thought. That's what happened to us with Cory Stillman, though that was in the last CBA, not the current one. Really though all Boston has to do is give him a qualifying offer and they don't have to worry about it.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
How low would it be to sign Brett back?I know we don't need him I'm just saying.

Also he will not be bonding with the Bees so he will be open to everyone. lol

You think Yzerman is gonna give up draft picks he just got to sign Connolly to an offer sheet? Pretty counter productive.

Not sure what you reading.
what I said was how low would it be to sign him? (I know we will not be signing him).

But it can't be 2 second rounders anyways? how many and which if they did?

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Not sure what you reading.
what I said was how low would it be to sign him? (I know we will not be signing him).

But it can't be 2 second rounders anyways? how many and which if they did?

I'm reading where you suggested signing him back. Which we could only do with an offer sheet. Which would require payment in picks.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Is the confusion with the word low?

The low I'm referring would be as this example.

You kicked him in his broken leg? That's low

I think there must be some confusion I'm not suggesting anything.
I'm simply asking if the Lightning wanted to (not me) sign Brett back. How low would that be.

Also what would the pic or pics be?

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
If we could redo something from before the trade deadline, it'd be this I hope for most people.

Could've used him in games 4-7, maybe he gets one goal, something Morrow, brown, Namestnikov and Boyle all failed to do.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If we could redo something from before the trade deadline, it'd be this I hope for most people.

Could've used him in games 4-7, maybe he gets one goal, something Morrow, brown, Namestnikov and Boyle all failed to do.

did vladdy even play one finals game ?

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013

Yup.

Joint effort from Yzerman and Cooper that neutered our bottom six, could have made a difference to have a little offense in there.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah, two nets. You'd better be giving the puck away in front of both of them to equal amounts.

It really is ridiculous. I wonder if they honestly thought Names and Morrow would make Connolly expendable for a (deep) playoff run. I mean nobody saw Vlad be such a letdown and Morrow decline so quickly. Both of them have been huge liablities with Morrow getting the TOI as he was the lesser evil of the two. All things considered there is no denying that Connolly would've been an upgrade over both of them.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Why? Couldn't we have flipped Connolly after the playoffs? For all we know his value could be even higher now.

What do you mean why? Yzerman has said that without the Connolly trade, the Coburn trade probably doesn't happen. Or am I misunderstanding your question? That we don't make it as far? You think we would've gotten this far riding Carle-Sustr even more?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Why? Couldn't we have flipped Connolly after the playoffs? For all we know his value could be even higher now.

IMO we were extremly lucky to get 2 2nds out of Connolly and unless he would ahve had a huge coming out party in the playoffs, we would not have gotten the same deal. Look what guys like Connolly usually get traded for: A 2nd rounder or another project. We got 2 2nd rounders. IMO that was just way to good of a deal to pass up for SY.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Connolly just as likely would have bombed like Namesy or gotten injured yet again, destroying his trade value.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What do you mean why? Yzerman has said that without the Connolly trade, the Coburn trade probably doesn't happen. Or am I misunderstanding your question? That we don't make it as far? You think we would've gotten this far riding Carle-Sustr even more?

The point people make (and I'm not sure I agree, but it's a fair point) is that those two deals were not actually dependent on each other. There was nothing stopping Yzerman from doing the Coburn deal without making the Connolly deal, other than the fact that he said he wouldn't do one without the other.

So people would rather have had Coburn + Connolly than just Coburn. And that's fair.

I don't think Connolly would have made a difference whatsoever, but it's not like the people who think he would have don't have an argument. The timing of the deal was weird. Yzerman either believed Connolly's value was about to diminish or he simply wanted him gone.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Connolly would've been injured most of the time but I'm convinced his game would translate well in playoffs, Killorn lite. I'm more than fine with Coburn on our second pairing instead of Carle though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->