Borowiecki Suspended 1 Game

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
What am I missing here? He had Eakin lined up, Eakin didn't change direction, Boro didn't change direction. Player is focused on the puck, doesn't move his head. He made a B-line to hit him square on the chest & chin. This is EXACTLY the type of hit the NHL has been trying to eliminate the past few years.

Why are Senator fans crying?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
What am I missing here? He had Eakin lined up, Eakin didn't change direction, Boro didn't change direction. B-line movement, shoulder square on the chest & chin. This is EXACTLY the type of hit the NHL has been trying to eliminate the past few years.

Agreed. There was plenty of body available to be hit, plenty of time to line it up and he picked the head.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Man, this guy has a lot of pent up aggression. I would guess it roots back to that Melnyk interview. He was smiling on the outside, but the anger was growing within.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Clean hit. Unfortunate result.

Eakin was hunched over and had his head down staring at the biscuit. So basically there's just no onus on puck carriers and players getting hit anymore. You can cut across the middle with your head down and if there's head contact it's 1000% on the player making the hit, even if the hitter doesn't leave his feet, charge or lead with an elbow.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What am I missing here? He had Eakin lined up, Eakin didn't change direction, Boro didn't change direction. Player is focused on the puck, doesn't move his head. He made a B-line to hit him square on the chest & chin. This is EXACTLY the type of hit the NHL has been trying to eliminate the past few years.

Because this got a 2 minute penalty:

The flagrant double standard is disgusting. No to mention a plethora of other dirty plays this season that have injured our players but haven't been penalized or suspended. It's beyond words how bad things have gotten for the NHL.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
To be fair I don't think that hit was bad ^

Looked like a 2 minute boarding call to me.

I have no issue with that hit being a 2 minute boarding call IF they don't give Boro 5 minutes for his clean hit. It's the double standard that makes by blood boil.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

The flagrant double standard is disgusting. No to mention a plethora of other dirty plays this season that have injured our players but haven't been penalized or suspended. It's beyond words how bad things have gotten for the NHL.

You are right, both should be suspendable hits. But, you can't really defend Boro. He was lining him up even before he got the puck...

The problem with the NHL safety department is they are punishing the result not the actual action. So, if the player stays on the ice or his injured, the penalty or suspension will be worse. I think a lot of that comes from the concussion law suit. They can say : Hey, everytime there's an injury to the head we suspend the player who caused the injury in order to eliminate head contacts from the game.

RandR

May 15, 2011
The initial point of contact was to the head of an unsuspecting player. I agree that players need to keep their heads up while carrying the puck, but that doesn't give license to this kind of hit. This is exactly the kind of hit the league is trying to get rid of, so I expect a suspension.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Clean hit, just remove body contact if this is a suspension.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Why can't the NHL just come out and say they that any sort of head contact in an open ice hit will lead to suspension?

I feel like it would be fair for the players. This way maybe the players who have learned to hit certain way could re-learn to hit in the new way (= making sure they make themselves smaller by ducking so that the impact of their hit will land in the chest area, thus avoiding the head that is always the furthest thing out in natural skating motion, making it impossible to avoid if you are bracing/going for a hit in the normal way).

Right now it's just a mess where players think the guy getting hit has some responsibility.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Clean hit. Unfortunate result.

Eakin was hunched over and had his head down staring at the biscuit. So basically there's just no onus on puck carriers and players getting hit anymore. You can cut across the middle with your head down and if there's head contact it's 1000% on the player making the hit, even if the hitter doesn't leave his feet, charge or lead with an elbow.

He was not hunched over, he was in the standard position that any hockey player would be when they are carrying the puck. If the chest was the principle point of contact then there would have been no hearing but the chest was the principle point of contact, the head was.

Why can't the NHL just come out and say they that any sort of head contact in an open ice hit will lead to suspension?

I feel like it would be fair for the players. This way maybe the players who have learned to hit certain way could re-learn to hit in the new way (= making sure they make themselves smaller by ducking so that the impact of their hit will land in the chest area, thus avoiding the head that is always the furthest thing out in natural skating motion, making it impossible to avoid if you are bracing/going for a hit in the normal way).

Right now it's just a mess where players think the guy getting hit has some responsibility.

It is clear, do not make the head the principle point of contact. How many hits are there every day that do not have head contact? A lot.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I understand the suspension, you don't want people elbowing other people in the face willy-nilly. But man, that looked like a Gordie Howe special.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
He was not hunched over, he was in the standard position that any hockey player would be when they are carrying the puck. If the chest was the principle point of contact then there would have been no hearing but the chest was the principle point of contact, the head was.

It is clear, do not make the head the principle point of contact. How many hits are there every day that do not have head contact? A lot.
How many of those are open ice hits? Again, when a player is in a natural skating motion carrying the puck, the head is the furthest thing out and naturally the first thing that the opponent will hit in an open ice collision like that. The hitting player can only avoid the head if, instead of normally bracing/going for the hit, he very unintuitively makes himself smaller by ducking and trying to reach the chest area below the extended head.

This is not how players have learned to hit. The NHL needs to make it clear that they need to stop hitting like they are used to and learn the new way.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.

those who have never played competitive (contact) hockey will never understand that THIS IS the most dangerous type of HIT . I have seen more sever injuries caused from hitting from behind/boarding than any other hit/dirty play in hockey. I'm always baffled that once you reach Junior level hockey hits from behind magically become "acceptable" or "legal". If a player doesn't sell it or get injured on the play the ref will never call it. This hit has probably ended more careers(amateur, rec league, pros etc) than any other hit in the history of the sport(major concussions, paralysis, broken necks, death etc).

Fans/Casual fans who never played the sport will never understand...

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
How many of those are open ice hits? Again, when a player is in a natural skating motion carrying the puck, the head is the furthest thing out and naturally the first thing that the opponent will hit in an open ice collision like that. The hitting player can only avoid the head if, instead of normally bracing/going for the hit, he very unintuitively makes himself smaller by ducking and trying to reach the chest area below the extended head.

This is not how players have learned to hit. The NHL needs to make it clear that they need to stop hitting like they are used to and learn the new way.

If this means less open ice hits then that is the result. The NHL cannot afford to have players getting their brains scrambled from head shots because if the NHL does nothing to stop it then they will be held liable. People tend to forget that there are many players who are driving this change because they do not want to suffer concussions/brain injury. Also, there was the option of to hit the shoulder in this scenario but Borowiecki went for the chest and missed.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
If this means less open ice hits then that is the result. The NHL cannot afford to have players getting their brains scrambled from head shots because if the NHL does nothing to stop it then they will be held liable. People tend to forget that there are many players who are driving this change because they do not want to suffer concussions/brain injury. Also, there was the option of to hit the shoulder in this scenario but Borowiecki went for the chest and missed.
Again, like I said, when a player is in a natural skating motion carrying the puck, the head is extended, the head is the furthest thing out and naturally the first thing that the opponent will hit when he braces for an open ice collision like that.

As far as I'm concerned, if the NHL wants to try to remove concussion from a sport with these sort of physics going on, they need to completely ban open ice hitting. If that's what they want to do, like it seems they do, then then need to publicly announce it. Not this garbage where the majority of people think players are getting suspended for clean hits.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
They do not have to ban open ice hits, the players just need to be smarter and adapt with the times. Borowiecki is a professional hockey player and if he wanted to hit the shoulder he could have - instead he went for the bigger hit and unfortunately the head got smacked. I do not think he was trying to hit the head but he has to be smarter when making those plays.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Again, like I said, when a player is in a natural skating motion carrying the puck, the head is extended, the head is the furthest thing out and naturally the first thing that the opponent will hit when he braces for an open ice collision like that.

As far as I'm concerned, if the NHL wants to try to remove concussion from a sport with these sort of physics going on, they need to completely ban open ice hitting. If that's what they want to do, like it seems they do, then then need to publicly announce it. Not this garbage where the majority of people think players are getting suspended for clean hits.

Everything you're saying is bang on.

If a player is skating, he is naturally leaning forward with his head more advanced. Any head on collision will include the head and likely be a main point of contact, or initial along with the full body.

If this is suspendable, then they may as well ban open ice hits.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
They do not have to ban open ice hits, the players just need to be smarter and adapt with the times. Borowiecki is a professional hockey player and if he wanted to hit the shoulder he could have - instead he went for the bigger hit and unfortunately the head got smacked. I do not think he was trying to hit the head but he has to be smarter when making those plays.

But he was going for the full body collision, which includes the head which is leaned forward. To get his shoulder, he'd have to aim to clip his side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad