Borowiecki Suspended 1 Game

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Just read the post where I asked the question...

Child's play.

PS: Gordie Howe special and "You said "different eras" which made no sense as a response to the post you quoted." do not go together well, to paraphrase "Michelle."

So you do not in fact know what you're talking about? Cool. Thanks for the clarification LOL.

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
Eakin cleared and on the plane less than 24hrs after the hit. Couldn’t even have been a concussion. Simply got smoked.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Vaakanainen is still out with a concussion because of this useless idiotic elbow.
I mentioned multiple times in the thread of how dangerous this play was and how I thought it deserved a lengthy suspension but most everyone disagreed as did the DOPS - which honestly surprised me.

I thought at the time, and still do, that this was one of the most reckless, career threatening plays, I've seen in awhile.

Does anyone want to re-evaluate their views on this? Knowing that Vaak has been out for a month and a half?

Reactions: FanSince72

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Vaakanainen is still out with a concussion because of this useless idiotic elbow.
I mentioned multiple times in the thread of how dangerous this play was and how I thought it deserved a lengthy suspension but most everyone disagreed as did the DOPS - which honestly surprised me.

I thought at the time, and still do, that this was one of the most reckless, career threatening plays, I've seen in awhile.

Does anyone want to re-evaluate their views on this? Knowing that Vaak has been out for a month and a half?

A 1 game suspension for anything related to head contact is kind of a joke in an 82 game season.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Im having a hard time trying to figure out how a player, after realizing someone is coming, throws an arm out and hits someone, is being deemed an "unintentional" elbow

Reactions: compan

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Im having a hard time trying to figure out how a player, after realizing someone is coming, throws an arm out and hits someone, is being deemed an "unintentional" elbow
If you watch his feet and body, he clearly throws his body into the hit and looked at where he was delivering it. Should have been 5 games plus.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Punishment certainly hasn’t matched the damage done on this one. This was as “unintentional” as Marchand's diving elbow.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
I love how Paajarvi’s elbow is coming for his head if Boro didn’t get it. Absolutely trash, should’ve been 5+.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Like it or not, they tend to not throw the book at first time offenders. And while the DoPS does consider if a player got injured, they don't base the length of the suspension on how long a player is out. It's bad enough that they consider an injury at all (an action is either dangerous/illegal or it is not), changing it to being in any way related how long a player is out for would be beyond silly and open to all manner of abuses.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Like it or not, they tend to not throw the book at first time offenders. And while the DoPS does consider if a player got injured, they don't base the length of the suspension on how long a player is out. It's bad enough that they consider an injury at all (an action is either dangerous/illegal or it is not), changing it to being in any way related how long a player is out for would be beyond silly and open to all manner of abuses.

I get that - and don't want suspensions tied to the injuries they've caused.

However this isn't hind-sight on my behalf. I posted multiple times early in this thread before I even knew Vaakanainen was injured, I thought this was one of the most dangerous 'plays' I've seen, had nothing to do with the play, was predatory, completely needless, and will cause an injury near every time. People pretended like it was nothing.

Never mind the results - I have no idea what the DoPS was looking at as I made a point of saying, possibly fans didn't get it, but anyone who's played the game at top speed understands how dangerous that is.

I like hitting, fights and whatnot. I think the game has gotten too soft. However - this was ugly and hopefully didn't set the standard.

Now that the kid has missed months - possibly the conversation can be revisited - because none of us want to see this.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
<snip>
Now that the kid has missed months - possibly the conversation can be revisited - because none of us want to see this.

If you think the league needs to revisit how they handle discipline in general that's one thing, and it would probably get more traction in it's own thread. Tying it to this specific play with your supporting evidence being how long your player was out is something else. Phrased this way is just sounds homerish, and a lot like you're part of the contingent pushing for that "perpetrator suspended for as long as the player is out" nonsense.

I have long been a fan of the idea of removing actual injury status from the discipline process altogether. If a thing has a huge potential to cause serious injury, punish it that way even if they guy gets up and walks away from the hit no worse for the wear. Similarly if a play is relatively innocuous, happens all the time and nothing ever comes from it, don't go handing our suspensions because a guy fell wrong or something and got hurt

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
If you think the league needs to revisit how they handle discipline in general that's one thing, and it would probably get more traction in it's own thread. Tying it to this specific play with your supporting evidence being how long your player was out is something else. Phrased this way is just sounds homerish, and a lot like you're part of the contingent pushing for that "perpetrator suspended for as long as the player is out" nonsense.

I have long been a fan of the idea of removing actual injury status from the discipline process altogether. If a thing has a huge potential to cause serious injury, punish it that way even if they guy gets up and walks away from the hit no worse for the wear. Similarly if a play is relatively innocuous, happens all the time and nothing ever comes from it, don't go handing our suspensions because a guy fell wrong or something and got hurt

For myself the team nor player doesn't bother me - as far as suspensions occur - as it doesn't affect the team that got injured in the slightest. - although I do have difficulty that players are allowed to run bigger guys without getting a penalty as the league is taking out size/strength as a benefit for a professional athlete.

But - I'll go way back to the Mike Richards hit that the league never responded to. If they had laid down the law then. Quite possibly the (....) hit on Marc Savard doesn't happen. All of us should expect better. Not a 'woe is me, my player got hurt' but more an - if they're doing this then it's going to happen again and next time it might be your, my or the dog's favourite player because the league couldn't respond properly. I've seen Vaakanainen play a grand total of a game and a half - but the fact that (and who knows how badly) he's concussed and missed this amount of time from this idiocy is something that needs to be taken seriously.

We might focus on the big ones and names and usual suspects but some of these need to be revisited. I just think some of these need to be revisited. I doubt anyone has thought of Borowiecki in awhile in the context that he tried to severely injure a player (and succeeded) and got a single game for it.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
For myself the team nor player doesn't bother me - as far as suspensions occur - as it doesn't affect the team that got injured in the slightest. - although I do have difficulty that players are allowed to run bigger guys without getting a penalty as the league is taking out size/strength as a benefit for a professional athlete.

But - I'll go way back to the Mike Richards hit that the league never responded to. If they had laid down the law then. Quite possibly the (....) hit on Marc Savard doesn't happen. All of us should expect better. Not a 'woe is me, my player got hurt' but more an - if they're doing this then it's going to happen again and next time it might be your, my or the dog's favourite player because the league couldn't respond properly. I've seen Vaakanainen play a grand total of a game and a half - but the fact that (and who knows how badly) he's concussed and missed this amount of time from this idiocy is something that needs to be taken seriously.

We might focus on the big ones and names and usual suspects but some of these need to be revisited. I just think some of these need to be revisited. I doubt anyone has thought of Borowiecki in awhile in the context that he tried to severely injure a player (and succeeded) and got a single game for it.
Which Richards hit? The one on David Booth?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Which Richards hit? The one on David Booth?

Ya. They let that his slide without so much a slap on the wrist, set the standard, and never dealt with blind-side hits at the time. They had the opportunity to lay down the law and make changes but never. Then (...) head-hunts Marc Savard and doesn't even get a 2 minute penalty for it because the standard had been set and there's going to be guys like (...) that push it. They waited until Savard's career was essentially ended before they changed the rules.

For me this could lead to a similar situation. The league needed to step in and say protecting your crease and goalie is fine, having your gloves up high is fine, but if you bring your elbow up you're sitting for an extended time. Because eventually a similar play will happen again - and next time it could be McDavid, Marner, MacKinnon or Pastrnak and people will be clamouring for a year-long suspension.

With Vaak still out, I bumped this thread to remind how dangerous these elbow-pads are nowadays. This isn't the days of Gordie Howe when an elbow pad was closer to a volleyball player's knee pads, these things are rock solid nowadays and go just above your glove.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad