Value of: Boeser/Miller for RHD

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hamonic is better than Hamonic I agree on that one. OEL is similar to Edler and Schmidt is better than Poolman. Only hope is d coach does well, Hughes improves and Rathbone contributes big. Otherwise it's not looking great.

I disagree, I believe Hamonic and Hamonic have equal value, they have the same contract, have the same stats, same age, same experience.

There literally isn't two players more similar than Hamonic and Hamonic.

Prove me wrong.

This is one of the hottest takes I have ever seen.

Hamonic couldn't skate a mile in Hamonic's skates. Hamonic isn't even in the same league as Hamonic. I simply don't know what exactly you see in Hamonic—but it's definitely not Hamonic.

Let the #HamonicWars begin.

Can we please stop the back and forth with this tiresome Hamonic vs. Hamonic debate? It's been argued ad nauseam. I thought it was settled that Hamonic is the better player.

OEL is an upgrade on Edler offensively.

Not convinced he is defensively, unless he’s been sandbagging it in AZ the last two to three seasons.

Really hoping Poolman still has a bit more in the tank to prove he’s worth that raise he hasn’t earned.

Maybe turns into a “Carlo lite”.

Canucks really do need a minute eating RSD to slot above all of the ones they have.

Kinda wish they just kept Schmidt and tried him again on the right side this season....

I think the Canucks should trade Hamonic for Hamonic, to get RHD help.

Hamonic + 2nd for Hamonic

Benning is a genius by acquiring a second round pick. I agree.

Benning really fleeced Benning on that one. Dont know how he is going to recover that pick

It wasn't even a typo, but an unfunny joke. Thank you all for the wild ride, I needed that.

Reactions: JAK

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Many thought Canucks are in cap hell a few months ago, and see how it is today ?

Cap after the flat cap era should go up, with new US TV deals should bring in more money.
Kraken adds more games and revenue to the league.

I am optimistic we can keep everyone.

Myers can be dumped if needed.

lol… they just had to trade away a bunch of people.

they absolutely were in “cap hell”, lost value on trades because of it, and lost players because of it

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Miller is ufa in 2023 at age 30. Boeser is rfa in 2022 at age 25 with 2 rfa years left at that point with a QO of $7.5 mill.

those are factors to consider for Vancouver.

can they really afford to give Miller a long term deal that he certainly would want like 6-8 years? Especially if they only get bridge deals drone with Petterson and Hughes who would then likely be due for another raise in 2024?
I think those are great points and the way I see it is if Podz cements himself in the top six and and the new kid Danila who they seem very high on
can as well then I think they will move on from him or possibly if the cap has gone up they make some other moves like move Pearson who will have 1 year left or even Myers will only have two years left and move JT to centre the third line. But that would all depend on if he would take less to stay, maybe the teams close to their goal and he sees it as the best chance to win.

One thing I don't see happening unless things are really bad is moving him as a rental.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Boeser to Islanders for Noah Dobson
No
Honestly, not even tempting. Not only is it a bad fit cap wise with Dobson on his ELC and Boeser making $5.8m, but with Pulock scheduled to become a ufa next summer, keeping Dobson and how well he develops becomes an even bigger priority for the NYI.

I expect the Isles to start dialogue with Pulock's reps on an extension, this offseason. Even if Pulock is extended long-term, I would have no interest in a Boeser/Dobson swap.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I think the Canucks will move Miller next year for a first pick at the draft. As others have said, there won't be much cap room for him and Boeser on the roster. I think the Canucks will need to move one of Juolevi or Rathbone this or next season for a equally young right shooting defenseman.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Good god, trading Boeser to alleviate Benning's newly self-inflicted cap issues is peak Benning.

And like others have said, I don't think there's a realistic defence target that is worth trading Boeser for. Yes, RD is a flaming trash heap. But that doesn't mean I'm giving Boeser away. I actually like Severson, but I wouldn't trade Boeser for him.

Much more open to moving Miller for more of a futures-type package.
New cap issues? My God you post some truly shit takes. We have our entire basically finished roster, Brocks raise will mostly be covered by sooner and who knows what the cap will look like in two years.
You realize that for the next two years we have the entire core signed with Brocks raise covered mostly by Spooner. Even if you think OEL and Myers are overpaid that's 13 million ever other contract is good to great atm. Having two many good players is not a bad thing since good players on good contracts are easy to move.

All we ever here is how Benning overpays for depth or bottom six players, now almost the entire cap is spent on our best players and you still bitch? You see what's happening in TB and Colorado right?
But let me guess, that 2.5 million spent on Poolman who for all we know might be the perfect fit here, is going to be an anchor that destroys the cap right? Or is it the 1.25 on Sutter?

Reactions: nucks88 and JAK

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
lol… they just had to trade away a bunch of people.

they absolutely were in “cap hell”, lost value on trades because of it, and lost players because of it

I disagree. Tanev and Markstrom got deals Canucks would not have matched regardless. Toffoli was always a rental.

We traded three agung veterans and got Garland back.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
New cap issues? My God you post some truly shit takes. We have our entire basically finished roster, Brocks raise will mostly be covered by sooner and who knows what the cap will look like in two years.
You realize that for the next two years we have the entire core signed with Brocks raise covered mostly by Spooner. Even if you think OEL and Myers are overpaid that's 13 million ever other contract is good to great atm. Having two many good players is not a bad thing since good players on good contracts are easy to move.

All we ever here is how Benning overpays for depth or bottom six players, now almost the entire cap is spent on our best players and you still bitch? You see what's happening in TB and Colorado right?
But let me guess, that 2.5 million spent on Poolman who for all we know might be the perfect fit here, is going to be an anchor that destroys the cap right? Or is it the 1.25 on Sutter?

My "shit" takes have been correct for the vast majority of Benning's tenure. Maybe you should listen a little more.

Yes, Poolman is, generously, an inefficient contract. Honestly, it's a terrible contract.

I'm not bitching. I just make honest assessments. And I've mostly been right. Maybe if you took off the homer goggles once in a while you might figure something out too.

They need to re-sign (with raises) or replace all of Boeser, Horvat, Miller, and Hoglander in the next 2 seasons. No significant money is coming off the books. Horribly inefficient contracts, like OEL, Myers, and Poolman will be on the books. You realize this team currently isn't actually good, and at best all the club can hope for is to retain who they have right?

Yes, I see what's happening in Colorado and Tampa. You realize they're already elite teams? They're categorically different from a mediocre-at-best Canucks club. Having cap issues when you're an elite team is the price of doing business. Having cap issues when you're a mediocre team is just the price of having Benning as GM. Like, we clearly do not have "too many good players on good contacts".

Reactions: JTmillerForA1stLOL

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
My "shit" takes have been correct for the vast majority of Benning's tenure. Maybe you should listen a little more.

Yes, Poolman is, generously, an inefficient contract. Honestly, it's a terrible contract.

I'm not bitching. I just make honest assessments. And I've mostly been right. Maybe if you took off the homer goggles once in a while you might figure something out too.

They need to re-sign (with raises) or replace all of Boeser, Horvat, Miller, and Hoglander in the next 2 seasons. No significant money is coming off the books. Horribly inefficient contracts, like OEL, Myers, and Poolman will be on the books. You realize this team currently isn't actually good, and at best all the club can hope for is to retain who they have right?

Yes, I see what's happening in Colorado and Tampa. You realize they're already elite teams? They're categorically different from a mediocre-at-best Canucks club. Having cap issues when you're an elite team is the price of doing business. Having cap issues when you're a mediocre team is just the price of having Benning as GM. Like, we clearly do not have "too many good players on good contacts".

Flat cap will end, cap will go up due to new US TV deals.
Unless Boeser, Miller, Horvat dramatically increases scoring, their raise won't be that huge. Hoglander could be bridged.

Hamonic will be off the books, Myers could be dumped.

Virtanen, Holtby, Luongo will all be off next season as well.

I understand you want to look at things long term, but there is no use to bring a winter jacket with you right now when it's 30 degrees out.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Flat cap will end, cap will go up due to new US TV deals.
Unless Boeser, Miller, Horvat dramatically increases scoring, their raise won't be that huge. Hoglander could be bridged.

Hamonic will be off the books, Myers could be dumped.

Virtanen, Holtby, Luongo will all be off next season as well.

I understand you want to look at things long term, but there is no use to bring a winter jacket with you right now when it's 30 degrees out.

JAK, I wouldn't get into too many arguments when you claimed that 34% is basically the same as 11%.

The raises will erase a portion of that added cap space.

And then that doesn't leave much for, y'know, actually improving the team. Or we get to pay another first to have to dump a bad contract?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Subban is on the back 9 of his career and is signed for 1 year

I'm not making any decisions based on him whatsoever. Severson is much better than Subban.
Severson only has an extra year as well, it would suck to lose him but he’s more replaceable than some people think he is. If he can get you a legitimate top 6 player, you’ve got to make that move

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Why is severson losing ice time? He's way better than subban at this point. He and Dougie will be over 20 and subban at like 17
I think Dougie will get big minutes, and Severson and Subban will split, he’s getting less minutes as he’ll no longer be the first pair RD

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Severson only has an extra year as well, it would suck to lose him but he’s more replaceable than some people think he is. If he can get you a legitimate top 6 player, you’ve got to make that move

Young-ish top 4 RHD are much harder to find than wingers...

Reactions: Hisch13r

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Good god, trading Boeser to alleviate Benning's newly self-inflicted cap issues is peak Benning.

And like others have said, I don't think there's a realistic defence target that is worth trading Boeser for. Yes, RD is a flaming trash heap. But that doesn't mean I'm giving Boeser away. I actually like Severson, but I wouldn't trade Boeser for him.

Much more open to moving Miller for more of a futures-type package.
montreal fan here . definitely like to hear more about what futures it would take for miller .

drouin and a second to new jersey , severson and a third to vancouver , miller to montreal

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
montreal fan here . definitely like to hear more about what futures it would take for miller .

drouin and a second to new jersey , severson and a third to vancouver , miller to montreal
Don’t think there is any chance you get to dump Drouin for a second and third and pick up Miller.

Reactions: 48MPHSlapShot

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
hoffman miller gallagher
tofolli suzuki caufield
armia kotkaniemi anderson
perrault evans lehkonen

looks like a playoff team to me

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I think the Canucks will move Miller next year for a first pick at the draft. As others have said, there won't be much cap room for him and Boeser on the roster. I think the Canucks will need to move one of Juolevi or Rathbone this or next season for a equally young right shooting defenseman.

Just out of curiosity, what are you pegging Miller, Horvat and Boeser at?

Let's go full stupid and say 8x8 for all 3. That only adds 7 mil to our cap. Between the 3.5 in dead space this year, and 2.4 next year coming off the books, as well as Ferland's LTIR and a rising cap over the course of those deals, I have no idea why people think there is an issue keeping these guys?

Reactions: JAK

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast

Let's go full stupid and say 8x8 for all 3. That only adds 7 mil to our cap. Between the 3.5 in dead space this year, and 2.4 next year coming off the books, as well as Ferland's LTIR and a rising cap over the course of those deals, I have no idea why people think there is an issue keeping these guys?
Because math is hard…..

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Canucks are in an interesting position next year. They will have to pay Motte and Boeser and cap will be tight. I do see the Canucks exploring Boeser trades for a cost-controlled equivalent defenseman. Dumba has been thrown around because he is signed for an additional year, but then he hits UFA, so the Canucks would have to have a deal in place with him before a deal like that gets made.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Uh, no. That's not it.

Montreal would need to hand out some higher-end futures. Reinhart was just traded for a 1st + B+ prospect, so perhaps an equivalent package.

1st + Norlinder + Simoneau/Roy

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010

The sky is falling is the HF Canucks theme.

Reactions: Mergatroidskittle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad