Value of: Boeser/Miller for RHD

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Vancouver has done a nice job adding forward depth this offseason, but still a glaring hole on RD…. Garland, Hoglander, and Podkolzin should all play the wing effectively…. There seems to be enough scuddlebut around the Canucks still looking at trades… and that got me thinking… there’s not many assets that they have that can fetch a top 4 RD.

Enter Boeser/Miller

What would your team offer??

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
i thought i read jt miller at first . if you had a particular defenseman around the league you had in mind for jt maybe montreal could deal with them

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
i thought i read jt miller at first . if you had a particular defenseman around the league you had in mind for jt maybe montreal could deal with them

Miller is the only other asset I think they could use to get this done. There were rumblings that he felt the same way as Schmidt at seasons end….

For Miller, I’d guess a veteran two way RD would be the target

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm firmly on the "I hope our offense out scores what our defense lets in" train. I'll admit Hamonic, Poolman and (begrudgingly) OEL are an improvement over, well, Schmidt, Edler and Hamonic, at least on paper, and that our D is still short a couple of good pieces, but robbing Peter to pay Paul is the last thing we need to do. It would be like trading Demko for a physical skater...yeah we could probably get a decent one for that price, but not someone to make our whole team better at the expense of the hole we're creating.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I don't know if this is a trade that we will see right now—but this theme of "Vancouver top-six winger for RD" is going to be the dominant trade rumor/speculation around this team for the next two seasons.

Reactions: Morrison

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I don't think this would be the year.

Maybe see what comes up at free agency next off season first.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think this would be the year.

Maybe see what comes up at free agency next off season first.
Miller is ufa in 2023 at age 30. Boeser is rfa in 2022 at age 25 with 2 rfa years left at that point with a QO of $7.5 mill.

those are factors to consider for Vancouver.

can they really afford to give Miller a long term deal that he certainly would want like 6-8 years? Especially if they only get bridge deals drone with Petterson and Hughes who would then likely be due for another raise in 2024?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Miller is ufa in 2023 at age 30. Boeser is rfa in 2022 at age 25 with 2 rfa years left at that point with a QO of $7.5 mill.

those are factors to consider for Vancouver.

can they really afford to give Miller a long term deal that he certainly would want like 6-8 years? Especially if they only get bridge deals drone with Petterson and Hughes who would then likely be due for another raise in 2024?

Many thought Canucks are in cap hell a few months ago, and see how it is today ?

Cap after the flat cap era should go up, with new US TV deals should bring in more money.
Kraken adds more games and revenue to the league.

I am optimistic we can keep everyone.

Myers can be dumped if needed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Many thought Canucks are in cap hell a few months ago, and see how it is today ?

Cap after the flat cap era should go up, with new US TV deals should bring in more money.
Kraken adds more games and revenue to the league.

I am optimistic we can keep everyone.

Myers can be dumped if needed.
It’s not the cap hit per se but the decline when you ink a 30 year old ufa for term. Canucks basically inked OEL to a 6 year deal for 7.26 mill til he is 36.
Petey and Hughes are around 22/23 this year so they have upwards of around a decade of very good years left. You don’t want to have anchor deals at the midpoint of that timeline kind of what LA did back around 2016 when Kopitar was 29 and DD was 26 giving deals to Gaborik, Brown, etc.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
It’s not the cap hit per se but the decline when you ink a 30 year old ufa for term. Canucks basically inked OEL to a 6 year deal for 7.26 mill til he is 36.
Petey and Hughes are around 22/23 this year so they have upwards of around a decade of very good years left. You don’t want to have anchor deals at the midpoint of that timeline kind of what LA did back around 2016 when Kopitar was 29 and DD was 26 giving deals to Gaborik, Brown, etc.

Canucks did not sign OEL, they traded for OEL with Garland, and dumped contracts the other way.

You have to consider part of the cost of acquisitions of Garland is OEL.

Also, OEL buyout is friendly in a few years due to larger salary in the next few years.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I'm firmly on the "I hope our offense out scores what our defense lets in" train. I'll admit Hamonic, Poolman and (begrudgingly) OEL are an improvement over, well, Schmidt, Edler and Hamonic, at least on paper, and that our D is still short a couple of good pieces, but robbing Peter to pay Paul is the last thing we need to do. It would be like trading Demko for a physical skater...yeah we could probably get a decent one for that price, but not someone to make our whole team better at the expense of the hole we're creating.
I really don’t know if I’d call OEL and Poolman an upgrade on Schmidt and Edler. The more I look at it the more it looks like a downgrade

Reactions: bossram

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Severson plus for JT

Subban, Severson, Bratt, Smith, Foote, 2022 1st, 2023 1st, 2024 1st.

For

Hughes, Miller, Myers, Juolevi, 2022 3rd, 2023 2nd, 2024 3rd.

Hi, I like to start fires.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks did not sign OEL, they traded for OEL with Garland, and dumped contracts the other way.

You have to consider part of the cost of acquisitions of Garland is OEL.

Also, OEL buyout is friendly in a few years due to larger salary in the next few years.
Aware of the acquistion cost for OEL.
Just using him as a comp to what Miller would be in 2 years as a UFA. Same age at 30 and the Canucks took on $7.26 mill for 6 years for OEL. Miller, won't command less than Coleman's $5.95 over 6 years. 6 year term would cost more than that, closer to the B. Schenn $6.5 mill cap hit and to keep the cap hit around $6 mill, likely to add at least 1 or the full 2 years for max term.

Seen too many guys that getting into their mid 30's just fall flat, and you don't want that when Petey/Hughes are around 27/28 in the primes of their careers.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I really don’t know if I’d call OEL and Poolman an upgrade on Schmidt and Edler. The more I look at it the more it looks like a downgrade

OEL beats Schmidt, even if his contract is worse, and Poolman, as a RHD that can play steady defensive minutes, beats Edler, who seems to have brought down his shut down pairing and may have been in freefall. Even if it's a draw, I think the shutdown/defensive abilities of the two new comers beat the two they replace, which is more fitting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad