Bobrovsky first 31 games - .897 sv% 3.29 GAA

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Kamiccolo, Oct 15, 2019.

1. geisterpanthers

geisterpanthers Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Surgeon
    Even if he bounces back he can't be trusted at this point anymore, there will always be a chance that he will start to suck again for an extensive period at any moment.

2. BlueBaron

BlueBaron Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    LOL. Win the Cup and all is forgotten :P

We'll see, I'm not exactly cheering for Florida right now, conflict of interest and all.

3. ViD

ViD #CBJNeedHugs

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Didn’t they give up 3-4 SHG in last couple games ?

Bob, that’s what you get for leaving Torts defensive paradise for goalies to enjoy sun and horrific team defense in Florida.

4. Czarchuk

Czarchuk Go Flames Go!

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    @Kamiccolo

We're at a larger sample size now and I am definitely eating crow.

Would have thought that Bob would have gotten his head out of his *** by now but he must be enjoying the sun too much.

5. ViD

ViD #CBJNeedHugs

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Has very little to do with Bob, Florida is absolutely terrible defensively. Put whoever in that goal, and it’s going to be similar outcome.

But the frustration of understandable. For $10m you’re supposed to overcome bad defense.

6. razor8

razor8 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Not necessarily. Pay a goalie 6 mil and put the extra 4 mil into improving the defense. For example. Might make a difference or might not.

7. Kamiccolo

Kamiccolo Hockey is back

SB Cash:
    $ 1,020,000
    IT
    That's why the "Who is a better team Toronto or Florida" thread that @ThePatientPanther made was so funny to me. I called it out as opportunistic, because it was. They were outclassed the entire game and Bob admittedly had a good game. And since that game and before, they have laid egg after egg.

I don't think Bob is this bad, but their team over all is pretty over rated. They play the most run and gun system in the league. They score a lot but if a team can match their speed or forecheck well (most of the playoff teams), their entire game plan falls apart.

8. ViD

ViD #CBJNeedHugs

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    FTFY.

they are tied for 27th in scoring since the ASG break

9. TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther Take us to the top Q!

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    The Leafs and Panthers play the exact same way, c'mon now. The thread was created for that reason along with those very similar teams fighting for the 3rd Atlantic spot.

You Leaf fans keep going back to the 5-3 loss but never want to talk about the 8-4 game before that when you were healthy and were outclassed even more than we were for the majority of the 5-3 game, also that 5-3 collapse was on your home ice where I think you're a way better team.

If the Panthers are overrated, then so are the Leafs.

10. Kamiccolo

Kamiccolo Hockey is back

SB Cash:
    $ 1,020,000
    IT
    Leafs haven't iced a healthy roster once this season.

But that's aside from the point where we have a 3 year sample size of the Leafs being better just slightly. And it's been a very rough year for the Leafs with everything going wrong, going wrong.

My point is that they don't play the same way. The Leafs held the Panthers to 1 shot in the 2nd, and 1 shot the first half of the first. They only won because Hutch came in and couldn't make a save.

Otherwise, that game is a example of both teams lately. Leafs playing very well but finding ways to beat themselves vs Florida being dominated large stretches of games but finding ways to squeak out points.

My point is this is not all on Bob. You guys play more of a loose run and gun than us, and your defense is worse. Leafs play a more structured game under Keefe but score a lot due to the raw talent at F. It's been mental breakdowns late in games that have been their issue.

11. Dread Clawz

Dread Clawz LAWSonic Boom

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    He's been a lot better actually. The Vegas game ruined his stats.

12. Advanced stats

Advanced stats Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Well congratulations for keeping in striking distance of a team that has lost Tavares, Marner, Rielly and Muzzin to significant injuries.

13. I am not exposed

I am not exposed Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    :clap:

14. Dread Clawz

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    The injury excuse is lame. The Panthers have had injuries too. Every team has to deal with injuries. The Panthers have had their share of injuries the last few years. It's part of hockey.

15. klabob

klabob Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Definitely. That's why Driedger is also sporting a below .900 SV%
    Oh wait, he's at .932. Nevermind.

16. Name Nameless

Name Nameless Nope

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Expecting .910 is when the shots are limited by a working defence.

A non-working defence can in theory bring the save percentage down to the expected save percentage in a shoot-out, meaning around 70 or something (haven't checked, because I assume those who can see my point, will see it with or without that precise number.)

17. Boqvy wan Kenobi

Boqvy wan Kenobi Jedi Master

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Chicago is leading the league in shots and scoring chances allowed, and both of their goalies have a save percentage above .910. Their GAAs leave a lot to be desired, but they're both really good.

I am not exposed and klabob like this.
  18. Papa044

Papa044 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    The defense sucks but Bob isn’t really helping the goals against either.

19. Our Lady Peace

Our Lady Peace Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Bobrovsky has actually been better this past month than he has all season but yes, he's not currently a 10M 2-time Vezina goaltender and he should be. The defense has been poor aside from Ekblad and there's little to excuse them there, but the real killer is that the team is just giving up and putting in terrible efforts. They are mentally weak. They can start a game well with a lead and then allow a goal and start kicking themselves. Teams that bounce back strong and don't get down on themselves are the ones that are truly resilient and win games.

20. Dread Clawz

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    This is actually a terrific analysis. The Cats are mentally weak. There teams that have the will to win, they keep forging ahead when times are tough and find a way to pull out victories. These are the kind of teams that win championships. The Panthers have never found that will to win and been able to confidently back it up with the requisite skill. Not since a bunch of expansion castoffs decided they were going to be a good team and strung together a few good years from 1993-97.

21. Our Lady Peace

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Yep and you know, 4 times in the past 11 years where a coaching change mid-season for a team that should be near the top of the league has catapulted them to a cup win that EXACT same season... It really tells a story that not the lack of skill is what brings a team down, but lack of strong mental battle and will to win. A coach comes in and turns a team with low morale and are underperforming and gets them to a cup? 2009 Bylsma, 2012 Sutter, 2016 Sullivan, 2019 Berube (also credit to Binnington for being stable in the net). It's certainly not a coincidence anymore at that point. The Leafs were sucking wind because they were tired of Babcock and Keefe comes in and gets the most out of his guys mentally and skillfully. Now they're a top 3 team in the league since then and quite frankly a very real threat in the East.

Now, not to blame Q and he has been disciplining players for bad performances and especially so lately, but something or someone has to kick these guys in the pants... They need SOME wake up call and I guarantee they rocket into a playoff spot when they do. When they had Gallant it was great and that 2016 playoff series was a result of them wanting to win and the Islanders had to win 3/4 games in OT/2OT to beat them.

22. Dread Clawz

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Firing Gallant set them back 5 years. Q is a legendary coach and his legacy is well cemented in the history of the game already, but he hasn't been able to get through to them like Gallant did.

PatriceBergeronFan likes this.
  23. Our Lady Peace

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Exactly, such a brutal decision and erratic timeframe that was. Gallant knew how to get the most out of players like Florida had and case in point, he went to Vegas and brought a newly created, predicted-to-be fringe playoff team to game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final and rightfully earned himself a Vezina. Love Q and he's legendary and I still have hope in him, but bottom line this team needs to compete now and I don't see them signing both Dads and Hoffman by July 1st.

24. Chimp

Chimp Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Proclaimed Seagull HF Guru
    Yes, if Bob can somewhat honour his contract, sure Florida will be in a better position. Unfortunately for Florida, Bob got his Vezinas under coaches like Tortorella, who like to hunker down. The Panthers want to win 6-5, not 2-1. Let me just say it will take a while for Bob to be able to perform in the open gun season kind of game.

Nothing I've seen from him so far looks good. He's not finding any balance in his game, he's leaking. I will say it's very difficult to play goalie in a team with lacking structure, BUT Bob has been worse than many other goalies I've seen where the situation has changed. So, if you pay Bob $10m to be a top goalie in any kind of situation, you're in trouble.

Sure, he may adapt, but that remains to be seen and is far from a certainty. Paying $10m at a long contract for a goalie is crazy. Bob has been terrible after half a season, that's an easy conclusion to see.

I am not exposed and klabob like this.
  25. geisterpanthers

geisterpanthers Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Surgeon
    Another of his better games last night huh?