Bobrovsky first 31 games - .897 sv% 3.29 GAA

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I don't understand why all the blame is being given to Bob anyways. Their D is one of the worst in the league by a long shot. Sure he gives up some stinkers and isn't worth his contract, but watching quite a few of their games this year, Bob plays generally pretty well but has almost no team support in front of him a lot of times.

Last night it looked like the Panthers just gave up halfway through the game.

Only halfway? That's an improvement. And yes, I am a Panthers fan.

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
It's Bryzgalov all over again. I guess Bob learned this from him in Philadelphia. Buy-out in 2 years?

That's a very poor take. Bobrovsky won 2 Vezinas after that time so I'm not sure what your point is. Bryzgalov himself has been nominated once.

Still Bryzgalov had actually better stats for the Flyers than Bob so far the Cats.

Reactions: jetsforever

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Have the Panthers found the starter of the (distant) future in Drieger? Florida actually played a really solid defensive game last night and seemed to keep the shots from the outside and limit rebounds but Drieger made some big saves against a really good team. Looking at Drieger's numbers from the last couple years it's really surprising that he hasn't at least passed Montembum on the depth chart. He's played really well in the AHL the past two seasons and this year he's been pretty much lights out with the big club. This Panthers team is clearly better when Bob is not between the pipes and the numbers back it up. I don't know much about him but is there a chance he's the guy the Panthers roll with moving forward and they try to move Bob or is Drieger destined to play 3rd fiddle?

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
Have the Panthers found the starter of the (distant) future in Drieger? Florida actually played a really solid defensive game last night and seemed to keep the shots from the outside and limit rebounds but Drieger made some big saves against a really good team. Looking at Drieger's numbers from the last couple years it's really surprising that he hasn't at least passed Montembum on the depth chart. He's played really well in the AHL the past two seasons and this year he's been pretty much lights out with the big club. This Panthers team is clearly better when Bob is not between the pipes and the numbers back it up. I don't know much about him but is there a chance he's the guy the Panthers roll with moving forward and they try to move Bob or is Drieger destined to play 3rd fiddle?

Driedger has definitely passed Monty on the depth chart. Monty got sent down earlier this season and the only reason he came back up was because Driedger got hurt.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Driedger has definitely passed Monty on the depth chart. Monty got sent down earlier this season and the only reason he came back up was because Driedger got hurt.
Is there a reason Florida seemed so set on Montembum being the #2 over Drieger? Is it simply because he's a home grown guy that they drafted? I know he's also younger but it's only 2 years and Drieger isn't exactly old to be breaking through at 25.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Imagine investing $10 million in UFA for a goalie and picking a goalie in the 1st round in the same offseason only to have Driedger as your new go-to guy. Knight still looks excellent but goalies are just wild cards, you never know.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Imagine investing $10 million in UFA for a goalie and picking a goalie in the 1st round in the same offseason only to have Driedger as your new go-to guy. Knight still looks excellent but goalies are just wild cards, you never know.
Knight was just drafted...

‘Still’ looks excellent?

Seems like a backhanded way to say you think he wont pan out

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
what is the deal with Bob this year anyway? Took the money and ran or just bad puck luck?
I don't think he just took the money and ran, he doesn't seem like that kind of guy. I think he really cares but he's not mentally strong. At the same time, bad puck luck can be an excuse for a stretch of games but not really an entire season.

I think Bob's success in Columbus was largely due to the system and team in front of him. He's been wildly inconsistent throughout his career. He has 2 Vezinas but then 4 of the past 6 seasons he's finished in the bottom half of the league in save percentage. Now that he's getting a bit older it's unlikely that his game improves from what we've seen in the past, although I can't imagine he will be this bad again next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: geisterpanthers

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

They won't move Bob, and can't anyway really, but Driedger is a guy who always had talent who's paid his dues in the minors. Montembeault was slated to be ahead of him on the depth chart to start the season because he played well on the Panthers last season, and he was drafted and has been groomed by the Panthers for awhile. But it seems he's not really an nhl goalie, unless he can somehow turn it around in the minors next season and work his way back up to the Panthers. But unlikely he passes Driedger on the depth chart again. Driedger is legit, he's big, pretty quick for his size, and has great fundamentals. Not to mention he just swallows pucks up, very few rebounds. That said, he'll have to prove himself all over again next season, because we know what happens to rookie goalies who become content with themselves.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Driedger is pretty good, but Knight seems destined to be at least as good, with an upside to be better. He's slated to be the future starter until someone drastically changes their mind.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Knight was just drafted...

‘Still’ looks excellent?

Seems like a backhanded way to say you think he wont pan out
It's more just how unpredictable goalies are. Teams were drafting goalies in the top half of the 1st all the time 15 years ago, but there's a reason it's not happening anymore. It's just so unpredictable how they'll develop, especially when they're 17/18 year olds. He looks excellent but you see a ton of volatility year-to-year with NHL goalies, let alone teenagers.

2000: DiPietro (1), Krahn (9)
2001: LeClaire (8), Blackburn (10)
2002: Lehtonen (2)
2003: Fleury (1)
2004: Montoya (6), Dubnyk (14)
2005: Price (5)
2006: Bernier (11), Helenius (15)
2007-2009: N/A
2010: Campbell (11)
2011-2018: N/A
2019: Knight (13)

I remember hating the Bruins drafting Subban at 24 in 2012, and it turns out those concerns were valid. And then at 19 you see Vasilevskiy. It's just so unpredictable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad