20-17-5 (.535 PTS%)
.896 SV%
3.32 GAA

Two random guys named Montembeault and Driedger
Combined $1.56m Cap Hit
10-4-1 (.733 PTS%)
.909 SV%
2.93 GAA

Guys, it's not Bob's fault, it's the defense. Sure, the team is significantly better when they have two minor leaguers behind the pipes but hey, there's an excuse built in there somewhere.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
His biggest problem this season, imo, is he gives up too many rebounds when he could have just smothered the puck. Then the D never seems positioned well enough and the pucks wind up in the net. I think that's the biggest reason Driedger has done better, he just swallows up shots and puts a halt to any chaos before it begins.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
His biggest problem this season, imo, is he gives up too many rebounds when he could have just smothered the puck. Then the D never seems positioned well enough and the pucks wind up in the net. I think that's the biggest reason Driedger has done better, he just swallows up shots and puts a halt to any chaos before it begins.

I have noticed this as well. Bob doesn't seem to be a very technically sound goalie. I don't know if it's just this season, but you're right, he loses track of pucks easily and seems to scramble a lot after initial saves. I don't know if it's a mental thing or what but for the type of money he's making for the foreseeable future, the cats are in trouble if he doesn't figure it out.

Seider Town

Aug 9, 2014
USA
He really learned a lot from his time with Bryzgalov in Philly, career trajectories are about the same (minus Bob's Vezinas).

Play good for a couple seasons in a small market team with a good D system in front of then leave for the biggest contract offer thrown your way and crap the bed entirely.

Reactions: I am not exposed

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The goal to JVR and NAK last night are perfect examples of this. The JVR goal hits Bob right in the chest and then just lays there for JVR to pound home. Bob looked like he thought he had it covered and just for a split second and by the time he reacted it was too late. The NAK goal was even worse, it was a routine wrister off the rush that again hit him in the chest and a juicy rebound bounced out for NAK. If a goalie is going to give up a rebound he's got to be able to control it so it's either directed away from the net so the rebound shot is from a worse angle or it's got to at the very least be in a spot where he has an opportunity to make the next say. One shot came from his left and the other from his right and both of them ended up sitting right out on the top of his crease for slam dunk goals. The Pitlick goal was the worse of the bunch. Allowing a 3rd liner to pick a corner from a bad angle is just terrible.

Reactions: Ratsreign

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Bob
$10m Cap Hit
20-17-5 (.535 PTS%)
.896 SV%
3.32 GAA

Two random guys named Montembeault and Driedger
Combined $1.56m Cap Hit
10-4-1 (.733 PTS%)
.909 SV%
2.93 GAA

Guys, it's not Bob's fault, it's the defense. Sure, the team is significantly better when they have two minor leaguers behind the pipes but hey, there's an excuse built in there somewhere.
It's both really. As you mentioned in your other comment, Bob can't control rebounds for shit and the defense can't clear rebounds for shit either.
His stat line is what happen when the weakness of a goalie is also the weakness of the defense.
So when you get goalies that are not totally inept with regards to rebound control, the defense look somewhat better.

Reactions: I am not exposed

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Are you sure about those numbers? Seem high to me.
He literally just made them up. They're nowhere near accurate.

The fact that he's trying to make it sound like one game with 6 goals against is what's ruining his numbers is comical considering Bob has allowed 5 or more goals 6 times this season and then has another 5 games where he allowed 3-4 goals but was pulled by the 2nd period.

Last edited:

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
It's both really. As you mentioned in your other comment, Bob can't control rebounds for **** and the defense can't clear rebounds for **** either.
His stat line is what happen when the weakness of a goalie is also the weakness of the defense.
So when you get goalies that are not totally inept with regards to rebound control, the defense look somewhat better.
I wonder, was he just "spoiled" from having the BJs responsible defense in front of him, or, it almost seems as if he's been coached to keep the puck moving and avoid d-zone faceoffs. There's been shots this year that could've easily been smothered and he'll just kick it out into the danger (dangerous for FL's D) zone. When he was playing better (after watching Driedger for a couple of games) he was freezing the puck more instead just letting everything bounce off of him. Now he's back to giving up rebounds on shots he should smother. He played very well in Toronto and Columbus, and it can be said that he stole three points for FL in those games, but last night he was terrible.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I'm wondering this as well. Lundqvist maybe?
It wasn't terrible and certainly not something the Rangers probably regret because you can't just let a future HoF goalie walk after spending a decade with your team but I wouldn't say that contract worked out great for them. He finished in the top 6 in Vezina voting 9 years in a row and then signed that huge deal and aside from the first season when he finished 5th, he hasn't received a single vote. The team has also been on a steady decline in general since that first season.

The Rask contract is pretty solid. He's not eating up anywhere near the $10m Bob is getting but 8 years at $7m per is more than fair for a guy who has a .920 SV% and 2.31 GAA over the first 7 seasons of his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad