Bobrovsky first 31 games - .897 sv% 3.29 GAA

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Panthers were going to lose Luongo to retirement, and had nothing in the pipeline. They needed to make a big move. They had just missed the playoffs due to their bad goaltending. It was obvious what was to come.

That's the big failure. Luongo turned 40 in 2019. When the Panthers acquired him in 2014, he was already 35. He was never going to play out his contract until he was 43. I mean, once your goalie hits 30, you need to think about the next guy because it takes time to develop that kid, in addition to how the hit rate is on goalies. Just because you take a kid when your guy is 30, it doesn't mean that when your #1 guy is 35, that the now 23 year old is going to be an NHL goalie.

So, Panthers clearly late on identifying a future goalie. Sam M. was drafted in round 3 in 2015, but in 2019, best you can expect from him is a backup to be groomed behind Lu if he came back for his $1.6 mill salary.

Look around at the teams with goalies in their late 30's? Rangers have Geogeoriev, along with Shestoskin in the A, plus they drafted a Swedish goalie in round 2 in 2018. Predators have Sarros. Smith is backing up Koskinen in Edmonton.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
They drafted Knight because they had a shot at drafting Knight.

To have a franchise goalie like Rask or Price through out their career is pretty.....ng awesome.

It will take years before Knight gets paid(if he ever gets) and going 1- 2 with Knight and Bob won't be as big of an issue as you'd like to make.

& Last Florida needed to start winning games and become a regular playoff team, they hoped consistency to their biggest issue by adding Bob.
Its just usually ill advised to use high picks on goalies, as it is to sign them to long contracts for big cap hits.

To see a team do both in one off-season - I personally don't approve of it. Yes I'm aware I'm not a gm.

Reactions: Syckle78

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
That's the big failure. Luongo turned 40 in 2019. When the Panthers acquired him in 2014, he was already 35. He was never going to play out his contract until he was 43. I mean, once your goalie hits 30, you need to think about the next guy because it takes time to develop that kid, in addition to how the hit rate is on goalies. Just because you take a kid when your guy is 30, it doesn't mean that when your #1 guy is 35, that the now 23 year old is going to be an NHL goalie.

So, Panthers clearly late on identifying a future goalie. Sam M. was drafted in round 3 in 2015, but in 2019, best you can expect from him is a backup to be groomed behind Lu if he came back for his $1.6 mill salary.

Look around at the teams with goalies in their late 30's? Rangers have Geogeoriev, along with Shestoskin in the A, plus they drafted a Swedish goalie in round 2 in 2018. Predators have Sarros. Smith is backing up Koskinen in Edmonton.

I agree, I've been saying this for years. This regime doesn't like to draft goalies. Which is idiotic. You need to draft goalies just like you draft any other position.

solidmotion

Jun 5, 2012

well, they did draft a goalie who was considered the best goalie prospect in hockey for years... and then they traded him for luongo.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Where are all the ones in such a hurry to post the stats when Bob and the Panthers give up four goals? Three strong games in a row and it's now crickets in here. Lollol.
Remember when you said this thread faded back to the 10th page and you brought it back after 3 good games to laugh at everyone's "knee jerk reactions"? Strong bump. Speaking of crickets and knee jerk reactions, where'd you go?

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Remember when you said this thread faded back to the 10th page and you brought it back after 3 good games to laugh at everyone's "knee jerk reactions"? Strong bump. Speaking of crickets and knee jerk reactions, where'd you go?
Shocking you come start crap in a panthers thread. You get paid for it or?

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Hopefully he turns it around in the second half. Even if he finishes the year in the .905 SV% range, I think it'll be enough to get the Panthers into the playoffs.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Shocking you come start crap in a panthers thread. You get paid for it or?
This is the main board, bud. Go back to your safe space if you don't want to hear from anyone outside of South Florida.

If someone bumps a thread after 3 good games to tell everyone how much they overreacted to the first 21 games, don't be surprised when he heard it after Bob posts a .856 SV% and 4.63GAA over a 6 game stretch.

I'm sure this thread will again fade to the archives of the main boards until Bob has another hot streak and someone gets all cocky and bumps it to brag about reaching that super impressive .900 SV% bench mark.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
How annoying if you spent 10 mil just to make sure you have a goalie, then your goalie is still the only reason you don’t make the playoffs

Everyone knew it was a huge gamble. Which Bob is showing up: the vezina goalie or the barely a starter goalie? Seems like this season it's the barely a starter Bob.

Well, seems like the gamble didn't pay off. Better luck next time.

Reactions: I am not exposed

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
This is the main board, bud. Go back to your safe space if you don't want to hear from anyone outside of South Florida.

If someone bumps a thread after 3 good games to tell everyone how much they overreacted to the first 21 games, don't be surprised when he heard it after Bob posts a .856 SV% and 4.63GAA over a 6 game stretch.

I'm sure this thread will again fade to the archives of the main boards until Bob has another hot streak and someone gets all cocky and bumps it to brag about reaching that super impressive .900 SV% bench mark.
Oh you’re hurt. My bad.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I will take a wild guess here and say Panthers fans probably would like to see their team in the playoffs with Bobrovsky posting a .890 SV% rather than missing the playoffs with Bobrovsky posting a .920 SV%.

Isn't the NHL a bit more high scoring at the moment too, plus Panthers defense isn't exactly rock steady. They're a bit like the Maple Leafs in that regard. Maple Leafs light.

Bobrovsky is a good goalie, but he got a bit overrated playing in a nice system and winning two Vezina's. Just like Bryzgalov playing under Tippett, and Brian Elliott's the poster boy for this type of phenomenon. I wouldn't even recognize Brian Elliott's face if I bumped into him in the street. That's how relevant a goalie he was despite some fancy stats.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
You didn’t state a fact and you butted into a conversation that wasn’t about you. Heed your own advice sir. :)

Oh I didn't realize these were PM's between you two. Oh, it was posts on a discussion board? Well, f*** me dead. :cool:

Again, grow up.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
at the time of the signing and still to this day I said that this signing will forever screw them from doing anything in the playoffs(if they make it)... his contract is way too much for way too long and in these times where very average players get insane contracts that take up a lot of the cap, his salary will screw things up....

But hey good on him getting that deal!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad