Bobby Ryan: Case of injuries or overrated?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You keep bringing up Silfverberg's lack of physicality and I really think you should reconsider this view as it isn't a weakness. He was hitting people and pinning them along the boards all playoff long and during the season as well. He blocks shots as well and can play short-handed and in all situations.

Аrpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu Apr 30

@SensNation I think Ryan's better than he showed this season, but even then Silfverberg's passed him. It was inevitable, just not this quick

We lost the trade. It's fine to admit that. That doesn't mean Ryan won't be useful player for us that will help on and off the ice, I'm glad to have him. Just would prefer him at 5.5 or 6.0 or so, not 7.X.
Silf isnt and never will be top 6 guy because of it ,not so hard to understand .Silf doesnt fight for ice in the dirty areas to score goals,never has never will .And he isnt skilled or fast enough to get production ,without support .He isnt the better player ,period

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
My best friend is a Ducks fan, and up until the trade, Bobby was my favourite non-Senator in the league, suffice to say, I've been watching him for years.

He's much better defensively than he ever was in Anaheim. He hasn't been putting up the same numbers, but playing along side players like Zibanejad/Hoffman vs Getzlaf/Perry will do that to you. (I realize he wasn't always on the RPG line).

Silfverberg will likely never crack 50pts and isn't really a gamebreaker.

Bobby will be good for at least 50+pts each year, and is definitely a gamebreaker.

Ottawa has several players in the system that will be able to fill in for Silfverberg, but none that could really replace what Ryan brings.

Ottawa overpaid for him, but that was reactionary to Alfie leaving.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
There are two Bobby Ryan's on the Ottawa Senators

There's the pre-injury one that looks like he could get 70pts.
and
There's the post-injury one that looks like a moderately defensive forward with little scoring ability.

This year will be the telling year in seeing whether it's a single person with a split personality (Kovalev-syndrome), or simply a player dealing with an injury (twice) which effects his production and makes him look like two different players.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
I'd do the deal all over again, Ryan has become a leader on this team. Remember, our captain is only 25 years old and had big shoes to fill after Alfie/Spezza left and I noticed that Ryan would also co-run this team after EK was named captain. He helped Hoffman/Zibanejad, remember so much, he is the catalyst to that line as seen by their production. If you told me last year that Mike Hoffman (Who was put on waivers multiple times) would become a 25 goal scorer this year, I would have said you're crazy. Bobby played solid defensive hockey, often bailing out his teammates including Hoffman who is pretty weak defensively, he was scoring at a PPG pace when our team was struggling. He went on one of the coldest streaks I have ever seen but if he had started the first 50-60 games like he finished then we'd have finish as a bottom 3 team because he was often the only player to show up in the first 40-50 games.

People always point to Hammond, Karlsson and Stone as the reasons why we made it to the playoffs but it's pretty clear that Ryan was a huge reason why we weren't dead last because before those players found their game, he was literally the only guy who could do anything in the 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 games.

The only thing is, Ryan has to focus on conditioning this summer. He wasn't able to last summer due to the hernia, with him being now married, I hope it doesn't affect him and that he stays focused on being in the best shape of his life. I understand that people can point to his production but there are other factors that explain his production. You'll have a tough time finding Sens fans who don't like Bobby, sure the majority complained about his play later in the year but if an entire fanbase loves a player then you have to understand there is a reason for that. He has become a complete player and even if he can't go back to his 30G/65-75P production, we still have young players like Mark Stone to take over and then having a 2-Way 50-55 point player on the 2nd line would be a huge asset.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
ive watched a lot of hockey in my lifetime, and I've never seen a player of Ryan's Calibre disappear in the playoffs like he did.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I don't get this compete level thing. I've watched him hustle his ass off to back check so many times last season.

He's guilty of trying too much and caring too much at times. He's never been lazy or uncaring in Ottawa.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He's guilty of trying too much and caring too much at times. He's never been lazy or uncaring in Ottawa.
He overdid it ,coming off his offseason surgery .And he was gassed half way through the season,the broken finger he played with couldnt have helped either

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
So have I ,Markov ,didnt look so hot either .Its called being gassed :nod:

Markov is a 36 year old defensman who was playing 24+ minutes a night ( He was awful I agree with you on that one), but you cant really compare him tom a 28 year old forward who plays about 16 minutes a night.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Markov is a 36 year old defensman who was playing 24+ minutes a night ( He was awful I agree with you on that one), but you cant really compare him tom a 28 year old forward who plays about 16 minutes a night.
Did markov have offseason hernia surgery??or play with a broken finger ??Nope MTL was one of the healthiest teams in the league ,last season .They would have been in the running for Macdavid if they suffered the injuries we did last season :nod:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Overrated. He's getting paid as a prime offensive weapon when he was nothing more than a great complimentary player. I will agree that his all around game gets underrated, but his scoring will never be what it was in Anaheim until his role changes to a less important one

He has been the one making plays happen in his line with two rather inexperienced players. He has been more than a complimentary player in Ottawa. He has really stepped in Ottawa in my opinion. People who aren't that familiar with the team will disagree because they just look at the box score.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He has been the one making plays happen in his line with two rather inexperienced players. He has been more than a complimentary player in Ottawa. He has really stepped in Ottawa in my opinion. People who aren't that familiar with the team will disagree because they just look at the box score.
Gonna be fun to watch this team paste ,the east this season :nod:

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Did markov have offseason hernia surgery??or play with a broken finger ??Nope MTL was one of the healthiest teams in the league ,last season .They would have been in the running for Macdavid if they suffered the injuries we did last season :nod:

No need to become hostile.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Overrated. Or maybe he's not anymore now that people can see he has become a 20goals scorer (according to his last 3 seasons) rather then a 30 like he used to be.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No need to become hostile.
Sorry ,so tired of the Ottawa got lucky to be in last season act we have heard nonstop .Ottawa is just as good if not better than teams like fld,clb,nyi,pit,wash. etc etc .Butw e are predicted by many again to miss.I called them last season to make it in as a bubble team ,this time they make as one of the better teams in the east:nod:

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Sorry ,so tired of the Ottawa got lucky to be in last season act we have heard nonstop .Ottawa is just as good if not better than teams like fld,clb,nyi,pit,wash. etc etc .Butw e are predicted by many again to miss.I called them last season to make it in as a bubble team ,this time they make as one of the better teams in the east:nod:

Where did I infer ottawa was lucky, all I stated that Ryan was a ghost in the playoffs, which is 100% accurate.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I've been impressed with his competitiveness and physicality since he's been here, but I'd also be lying if I said I was happy with his production.

As a fan I can only hope he's been playing injured, and I've seen enough to think that's the case. If he was as much of a floater as people let on, he certainly would avoid getting injured- but he's not.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Needs to be more consistant. As poster above said, I love his effort especially on the backcheck he's really giving it all and he does lay some big hits from time to time. The biggest thing for him is footspeed. He makes his teammates better and turned out to be more of a playmaker almost this season.

I think he needs a big summer of training. He really needs to work on his endurance and speed because he was barely able to follow Hoffman and Zibanejad towards the end of the season. If he can do that, his contract will be fine.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
He's overrated. Ryan was one of my favorite players, but he's arguably the most frustrating player to have on a team. The kid wreaks talent, but he leaves you wanting so much more.

He'd put up good season numbers, but he'd score when the game was out of hand. I've never, EVER seen a player in Ducks history that produced as much he did when it didn't matter.

His biggest flaw in Anaheim was that he couldn't drive his own line. We weren't going to have a 7 million dollar passenger.

The guys has received more excuses that most players ever will, and Duck fans (myself included) are just as guility of giving him those.

-He doesn't get top PP time.
-He doesn't have a good enough center
-He was play injured
Etc...

The guy is just overrated. If Silfverberg becomes a 25-30 goal scorer and continues his elite defensive play, he's already more valuable to us than Ryan ever was. The fact that we have Ritchie is just icing on the cake.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He's overrated. Ryan was one of my favorite players, but he's arguably the most frustrating player to have on a team. The kid wreaks talent, but he leaves you wanting so much more.

He'd put up good season numbers, but he'd score when the game was out of hand. I've never, EVER seen a player in Ducks history that produced as much he did when it didn't matter.

His biggest flaw in Anaheim was that he couldn't drive his own line. We weren't going to have a 7 million dollar passenger.

The guys has received more excuses that most players ever will, and Duck fans (myself included) are just as guility of giving him those.

-He doesn't get top PP time.
-He doesn't have a good enough center
-He was play injured
Etc...

The guy is just overrated. If Silfverberg becomes a 25-30 goal scorer and continues his elite defensive play, he's already more valuable to us than Ryan ever was. The fact that we have Ritchie is just icing on the cake.

Far from a passenger in Ottawa, he has been a leader but I guess how he was in Anahiem will be relevant forever.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Ryan is not overrated. He is just regressing like Heatley who was not overrated either.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
ive watched a lot of hockey in my lifetime, and I've never seen a player of Ryan's Calibre disappear in the playoffs like he did.

He's had playoff games in Anaheim where he was the only player on the team playing.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Far from a passenger in Ottawa, he has been a leader but I guess how he was in Anahiem will be relevant forever.

He obviously cannot be a passenger with those kinds of linemates, but when he's asked to do the driving, the dip in production is exactly what's to be expected given what has been visible in Anaheim.

Also, I feel like with the lack of tangibles showing, some apologists severely overrate the intangibles in his favour, because I couldn't see too much of a great two-way game or an overly consistent effort from him with the Sens, either. Better than in his late Anaheim days, for sure, but far from what some make it out to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad