Bobby Ryan: Case of injuries or overrated?

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Trading for Bobby Ryan wasn't the problem. Giving him 50 million, and 7 years was.

That's the same problem, though.

Someone else would have given him that much and then the trade is a disaster.

He held the hammer and we had to sign him. I'm just glad he hasn't been mailing it in ever since- and has actually put in a consistent effort.

But if people want to tell Sens fans to be disappointed with him, I certainly can't stop them.:dunno:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This post sums it up pretty good. Insanely overrated by sens fans :laugh:

My post was 95% facts.. The irony in a Canadiens fans pointing that post out as proof of someone being overrated.

Lmao.

"This guy just proved Ryan was on 70+ point pace for 75% of the season until he suffered broken finger, how overrated and biased are Sens fans!! amirite my two-man team followers?"

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I swear, most of the people in this thread have never seen Silfverberg play. He's ridiculously good at winning puck battle, is a terrific forechecker and plays above average defense. He's a good passer and has one of the best releases in the entire NHL. Watch out for him next year, I think he's going to explode.

Two words

Ryan. Kesler.

Playing with him has been a huge boost for Silf, prior to that he was a solid player but not much else

So that means that we don't care in Ottawa about how good Silfverberg is when playing with Ryan Kesler, we don't have Ryan Kesler

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I swear, most of the people in this thread have never seen Silfverberg play. He's ridiculously good at winning puck battle, is a terrific forechecker and plays above average defense. He's a good passer and has one of the best releases in the entire NHL. Watch out for him next year, I think he's going to explode.
I think Silfverberg's biggest problem has been his ability to play in traffic. Also not overly though strong on his skates, though he has improved in that regard recently.

Italian President

Aug 13, 2012
Two words

Ryan. Kesler.

Playing with him has been a huge boost for Silf, prior to that he was a solid player but not much else

So that means that we don't care in Ottawa about how good Silfverberg is when playing with Ryan Kesler, we don't have Ryan Kesler

Silfverberg played extremely well on the 3rd and 2nd PP unit (without Kesler) when he was iced there. The reason they're playing together is because they're the 3rd and 4th best forwards on the team. Silfverberg is a great player, regardless of Kesler's influence and if you watched him you would know that.

edit: He's also good for about 10 free points every year due to being one of the best shootout players in the NHL for whatever that's worth.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Two words

Ryan. Kesler.

I really think you overstate the influence of Kesler, that guy is notorious for utilizing his linemates very poorly.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Silfverberg played extremely well on the 3rd and 2nd PP unit (without Kesler) when he was iced there. The reason they're playing together is because they're the 3rd and 4th best forwards on the team. Silfverberg is a great player, regardless of Kesler's influence and if you watched him you would know that.

edit: He's also good for about 10 free points every year due to being one of the best shootout players in the NHL for whatever that's worth.

First, I think you are vastly over valueing what a single shooter can contribure in shootouts. Even if Silf scored every shot he took in the SO last year that's only 13 goals, of which I'm sure every one wouldn't have led to a win. Given the top team only won 10 shootouts, and the team with the most shootouts only had 18, it's highly unlikely one shooter will by himself get you 10 free points.

More importantly, with 3vs3 overtime, shootouts will liklely become a rareity.

On topic, Silf is awesome, loved him in Ottawa and glad to see him doing well. Ryan has been a pleasant surprise in Ottawa imo, as he's been far better than advertized defensively and has taken on a leadership role. The only complaint I have is the occasional embelishment. Not sure why Silf is involved in the conversation as his play doesn't change whether Ryan is overvalued or not.

Fact is, injuries have slowed Ryan down a bit in Ottawa. Playing though a hernia and a broken finger would hamper anyone. That said, he's very much a streaky player, when he's on, he's a force, when he's off, he's just sort of there (this year he was hustling and contributing defensively though, so that was nice).

The one thing he brings that is invaluable to Ottawa regardless of whether he's on or not is he draws the oppositions attention. He's the prime target other teams key in on (aside from Karlsson of course), and that opens things up for everyone else.

Italian President

Aug 13, 2012
I dunno, I think that I'd be more worried about Stone and Zibenijad in a couple years than Ryan if I was playing the Sens. It might even be that way already.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
feel free to stop making things up, silf has become an excellent defensive player and extremely good on the boards
Silf isnt a better player ,never will be .He doesnt have the balls ,he is very easily intimidated .Once shot in the chops ,and he wilts .This isnt to say he isnt a good player ,but he has limits

Last edited by a moderator:

Italian President

Aug 13, 2012
Funny that a player can do absolutely everything you could possibly ask from a forward other than hit, on one of the most physical teams in the NHL and have people ragging on him for it.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Funny that a player can do absolutely everything you could possibly ask from a forward other than hit, on one of the most physical teams in the NHL and have people ragging on him for it.
Funny how he has a breakout year, on one of the most physical teams in the nhl .And its dismissed as coincidence,he was never going to go far.

Playing with another guy like Zibby as his center,both need that physical support hence the deal worked.Ryan scores more playes a much tougher style and works his tail off in the defensive zone .He is the better player period

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Ryan's last 2 seasons reminds me of what Spezza went thru in his late 20's. Injuries and trying to find the balance between being all-around, a leader and an offensive weapon.

Spezza came out of it by being one of the best players in the league before getting injured once again and never being the same.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ryan's last 2 seasons reminds me of what Spezza went thru in his late 20's. Injuries and trying to find the balance between being all-around, a leader and an offensive weapon.

Age 26 - 73 points, 82 GP
Age 27 - 57 points, 60 GP
Age 28 - 57 points, 62 GP

Age 26 - 30 points, 48 GP
Age 27 - 48 points, 70 GP
Age 28 - 54 points, 78 GP

One is Jason Spezza, one os Bobby Ryan. Its pretty obvious Ryan's success was mainly due to Getz/Perry. You can't really use the injury card here either, Spezza missed 1/4 of the season at 27 and 28 yet still managed almost a PPG. Ryan is overrated and had so much value because of his numvbers playing with a top 10 centre and top 10/15 winger.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth

One is Jason Spezza, one os Bobby Ryan. Its pretty obvious Ryan's success was mainly due to Getz/Perry. You can't really use the injury card here either, Spezza missed 1/4 of the season at 27 and 28 yet still managed almost a PPG. Ryan is overrated and had so much value because of his numvbers playing with a top 10 centre and top 10/15 winger.

I don't think he's comparing the players as players, just their situation. It's less about one playing like the other and more about not being able to play up to their own standards.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

I wasn't comparing them offensively. Like Waffler said.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
He had a great start to the season and slowed down, went cold during the playoffs. Not too concerned.

Scoring went down for the league's top players across the board this season. Played mediocre down the stretch but it looked like he was nursing something. Willing to give a great player the benefit of the doubt.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Both his seasons in Ottawa have been similar. He plays great for the first part of the season. I'm talking All-star level hockey, one of the best players on the ice more often than not, and Ottawa's best forward during that stretch of time. He doesn't dominate from shift to shift, it's more like he takes over for a certain portion of the game, and that is enough to win you over since it usually results in a big hit, or some great offensive chances, or a mix of both, or sometimes even a great hustle play that has me thinking, "wow, this guy isn't lazy or passive at all, he rocks!"
In year 1, his 36 points in 42 games had me saying "he was absolutely worth what we traded for him." In year two, I was saying "he was absolutely worth re-signing to that big contract" after 49 points in the first 59 games. But then he slows down. Big time. As a fan, you get worried. You blame his lack of help, or the coach not playing him enough, and then you settle in on an injury. Year 1- the hernia. A legitimate excuse seeing as he has to miss the last bit of the season for it. Year 2- his finger. Not quite as good as the hernia, but still, an offensive player without full use of his hand, that had to be the reason for the decline in play, right?!
The reality is, he's given Ottawa around 90 games of great play, and 60 games where he wasn't good enough. I look at Ryan and I see a slower player. Not someone who doesn't give a crap, he's always looked engaged to me. As the season goes on you're going to have play through pain, so those injuries, plus the fatigue factor, and his lack of speed make for a player that hasn't been good enough. He needs to work on this. Get in better shape, work on his skating, and hopefully avoid injuries. If he does this, he's shown himself to be great. If not, it'll be more of the same.

Oct 18, 2011
Silf isnt a better player ,never will be .He doesnt have the balls ,he is very easily intimidated .Once shot in the chops ,and he wilts .This isnt to say he isnt a good player ,but he has limits

you are just making things up, how can someone who constantly wins puck battles be "easily intimidated"?

also if he "wilts" how did he do so well in the playoffs which are notoriously physical?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
you are just making things up, how can someone who constantly wins puck battles be "easily intimidated"?

also if he "wilts" how did he do so well in the playoffs which are notoriously physical?
Because he had a nasty piece of work playing beside him in Kesler ,think Zibby could do what he does physically ????Ryan is tougher in the paint hits harder ,scores more ,and is the better player now and will be forever more .Silf is a good positional player with some skill and a great shot ,but he needs help to bring out his very best .Which is stlll less than bobby at his worse:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00