Bobby Ryan: Case of injuries or overrated?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I honestly think this is a case of a player being better when others good players are around him (obvious I know).

Give Ryan a decent center and he'll show through. I do agree with the sentiment that he is a 3rd wheel type player - but a very good one at that.

He's one of the players I'd like to see play with Jumbo Joe for example.

At the cap hit though, it's hard for me to justify paying a wing who isn't a Perry/Ovi/Kane more than 7M.

Those are three of the best players in the NHL and one of them makes 10 million a year

7.25 is hardly a huge contract. It's a lot of money but it's not as crazy as some of you seem to be implying

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Elite talent, but below average compete level. Good 1st line winger, just not a franchise player.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Elite talent, but below average compete level. Good 1st line winger, just not a franchise player.
Never seen this outa him in Ottawa ,i know he has been hurt both years though .last one needed surgury

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He did put up the points in Anaheim but he never really carried the play and found chemistry with anyone.

The issue wasn't finding chemistry it was maintaining it. He'd start to look good with someone then it would just fall apart.

idiroft

Sep 21, 2012
Lisboa
The issue wasn't finding chemistry it was maintaining it. He'd start to look good with someone then it would just fall apart.

Yeah... I do remember the Ryan - Koivu - Selanna line tear it up for 2 or 3 games (usually against St.Louis :P) and then go cold for a long time...

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I think the biggest thing is the injuries, and the adaptation of a newly found two way game for Ryan...

But like others, this is the big prove yourself year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
When he's on he is great he just seems to be mentally checked out at times.

As a duck fan I feel like getting Ritchie , silfververg and noesson for him was amazing value.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
I don't get this compete level thing. I've watched him hustle his ass off to back check so many times last season.

Xamar*

Complete level is fine its just that he's not the goal scorer he once was. At the 7mil price tag if he isn't scoring 40 a year then he isn't doing what he's supposed too. His criticism is warranted.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
His compete level and two way play was fine last year. He (and by extension his line) just went ice cold offensively during our stretch run.

I think Bobby is in a transition period right now between being a purely offensive guy to more of a two way player and a leader. I think he gets a little rattled when he doesn't score for awhile and it just snowballs and really gets to him.

It will be a lot easier on him as he grows into his new role a bit more and doesn't put so much pressure on himself to be scoring goals all the time.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
His compete level and two way play was fine last year. He (and by extension his line) just went ice cold offensively during our stretch run.

I think Bobby is in a transition period right now between being a purely offensive guy to more of a two way player and a leader. I think he gets a little rattled when he doesn't score for awhile and it just snowballs and really gets to him.

It will be a lot easier on him as he grows into his new role a bit more and doesn't put so much pressure on himself to be scoring goals all the time.
Yep ,not worried about him at all .He is quality player ,and a growing leader on our team .Nobody was more pissed than him ,on how his season ended

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I saw about 45-50 games from both teams this season, how many did you see?
Want a medal ??Silf is a good player ,but he has flaws that will limit him .Most notably his lack of physicality ,he looks good on a big tough team like the one ANA has up front.But ask him to carry a line and it will never happen ,he needs support to bring out his best .

BR played with two kids ,and helped shepperd them to pretty good seasons .Ryan is the better player ,with less support .What makes you think he would be worse ,with more :nod:

roboninja

EYG
Aug 3, 2006
I think he was a little overhyped on ANA, and OTT overpaid him, both in the trade and then with his contract.

I mean, obviously the future will tell us, but I do not expect a turnaround.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Want a medal ??Silf is a good player ,but he has flaws that will limit him .Most notably his lack of physicality ,he looks good on a big tough team like the one ANA has up front.But ask him to carry a line and it will never happen ,he needs support to bring out his best .

BR played with two kids ,and helped shepperd them to pretty good seasons .Ryan is the better player ,with less support .What makes you think he would be worse ,with more :nod:

You clearly haven't watched Silf this season. Ryan is not a more physical player than Silfverberg. Silfver stepped his game up and added grit, Ryan just got slower and played with less intensity, as the season went on.

I love both teams and would choose Silfverberg over Ryan 10/10. Ryan is slightly better offensively, but Silfver is an over all better player (elite defensively) and never takes shifts off.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
When he's on he is great he just seems to be mentally checked out at times.

As a duck fan I feel like getting Ritchie , silfververg and noesson for him was amazing value.

I dont think he mentally checks out, I think he struggles with confidence. He puts a lot of pressure on himself to "be the guy" but needs to realize that he doesnt need to be the guy every night.

I the thing I will say about Ryan is he cares...a lot and that means a lot to me as a fan. I am a big Bobby Ryan fan!

I am glad Ducks fans are happy with the return, Silverberg is going to be a great player for you guys.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You clearly haven't watched Silf this season. Ryan is not a more physical player than Silfverberg. Silfver stepped his game up and added grit, Ryan just got slower and played with less intensity, as the season went on.

I love both teams and would choose Silfverberg over Ryan 10/10. Ryan is slightly better offensively, but Silfver is an over all better player (elite defensively) and never takes shifts off.
Ok no point in arguing with you ,Silf isnt the better player period ,and if you watched the sens you would know how good BR was the first half .
.His offseason surgury may have had something to do with his lack of conditioning ,add in a broken finger .

And he still outpaced Silf by a decent margin ,all while playing with a first time top 6 center in zibby and a rookie in hoffman.Silf is an elite 3 line player ,that can play some top 6 mins .Ryan is an elite 2nd line player that can play some top line mins

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Complete level is fine its just that he's not the goal scorer he once was. At the 7mil price tag if he isn't scoring 40 a year then he isn't doing what he's supposed too. His criticism is warranted.

Three players scored 40 goals last season. Three. I feel like people are stuck in 2005/2006 when goals were high and the salary cap was low.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Overrated. He's getting paid as a prime offensive weapon when he was nothing more than a great complimentary player. I will agree that his all around game gets underrated, but his scoring will never be what it was in Anaheim until his role changes to a less important one

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland

You keep bringing up Silfverberg's lack of physicality and I really think you should reconsider this view as it isn't a weakness. He was hitting people and pinning them along the boards all playoff long and during the season as well. He blocks shots as well and can play short-handed and in all situations.

Аrpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu Apr 30

@SensNation I think Ryan's better than he showed this season, but even then Silfverberg's passed him. It was inevitable, just not this quick

We lost the trade. It's fine to admit that. That doesn't mean Ryan won't be useful player for us that will help on and off the ice, I'm glad to have him. Just would prefer him at 5.5 or 6.0 or so, not 7.X.

GadKing

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
mixture of both

He is one of my favourite players but he is extremely lackadaisical more often than not

He reminds me of Kovalev compete-level wise

Thanks, I learned a new word today

lack·a·dai·si·cal
ˌlakəˈdāzək(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: lackadaisical

lacking enthusiasm and determination; carelessly lazy.
"a lackadaisical defense left the Spurs adrift in the second half"
synonyms: lethargic, apathetic, listless, sluggish, spiritless, passionless;

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad