Bobby Ryan: Case of injuries or overrated?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He hit 70 ONCE while playing with Getzlaf (Top 10 centre) and Perry (top 10/15 winger). You really think he'll do it with freaking Mike Hoffman and Mika Zibanejad? Please stop with the Kool-Aid.

Perry is a top 5 winger. And Getzlaf closer to top 5 C than top 10.

The reason why Im helping your cause is cause Ryan was on pace to do it over about 60 games with "freaking Mike Hoffman and Mike Zibanejad" until he got proven finger and back injury.

You best believe he might do it with those 2 and your nightmare will grow.

Btw, you're forgetting that Ryan gets to play with one of the most potent offensive weapons in the league, your lover, Erik Karlsson.

The is a different Ryan than the one we seen before. That was a complementary scorer, the one we see now is a guy who generates his own offense and carries his line.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Can a player be overrated when the majority calls him over rated?

READ THIS POST!!

Ok everyone seriously needs to stop thinking Ryan has bad compete level/work ethic. This isn't 2011.

The guy has transformed amazingly to a 2 way beast. The only times he went invisible is in the offensive zone BUT that was only for one large stretch and if a guy just put up 54 points in 78 games while playing with broken finger for 15+ games and suffering hernia issues while playing very good defensively then that's a-ok with me.

Ryan has become a solid leader on this team and made terrific defensive plays in key situations, we normally see this often in superstar one-dimensional forwards who transform their games to 2 way players and go through down years offensively trying to find a medium in balancing their play in both ends and then later on exploding.

Ryan was producing at a 70+ point pace 3/4ths of the season in. but last 20 games he went invisible offensively(even though noticeable in other areas of the game) and he blamed it on injures and what not.

He had 50 points in first 58 games +13

He didn't go more than 3 games without recording a point and longest point-less stretch that time was 3 games.

He was consistent and dominant in almost every area, physically as well.

He had 36 points in 37 games from December till Feb 6th around time he got injury and was +10. It looked like he was gonna shatter his career totals while having a new refined 2 way game.

He suffered finger injury and what not and went reallly cold last 20 or so games recording like 4 or 5 points and -8.

I think with development to Zibanejad and improvement in Hoffman's game we can see Ryan hit 70 again next year possibly. He was basically on pace to score more than that this year until injuries and stuff happened.

If Ryan scores 50ish points again next year without stuff factoring in that Ottawa ****ed up, but for now they have a producing top powerforward in the game locked up longterm yet to be reaching his peak in overall play, imo.

This and he's doesn't have much stamina + not a great skater.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I like him at times and want him to be good but being realistically, he's Heatley 2.0...he will decline very quickly unfortunately.

con310*

Injuries didn't help but people seem to forget his game dropped off even before the Ducks traded him...Lack of speed and compete level make him overpaid big time.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
As an Ottawa fan, as much as I think Ryan is overpaid by about 2 mill, I'd still make the trade. Noesen isn't going to amount to much. Silf, while I like the guy, in my opinion is not a cup contending top 6 player. The development of Ritchie will decide who "won" the trade.

I think Ryan is better suited to a #2 RW role. Mark Stone is a better player. I think as Zibanejad continues to develop and they put a good #2 LW on that line, they'll be just that - a good #2 line.

I mean he just put up 18 points in 16 playoff games in a shutdown role.....

I'm glad to hear Ryan has formed a strong defensive game, if you're as streaky as a scorer as he is that's essential. Hope he stays healthy this year, Ryan, when on his game, is an absolute treat to watch. I think he is overrated due to his inconsistency, but if he finds that consistency he is absolutely worth his contract.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
His goal scoring prowess was definitely overrated due to Getzlaf

His vision, physical play, and passing were very undersold. He finishes every check and makes very nice plays. I honestly think he's a better setup man than finisher these days.

I don't think he's overrated because it seems like no one really thinks highly of him anymore.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
LOL gonna be fun to bump this thread ,everyone on hf boards is an expert on our team and our players .:laugh:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

I'm glad to hear Ryan has formed a strong defensive game, if you're as streaky as a scorer as he is that's essential. Hope he stays healthy this year, Ryan, when on his game, is an absolute treat to watch. I think he is overrated due to his inconsistency, but if he finds that consistency he is absolutely worth his contract.
Silf is ok but ryan is better

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I think knock on him in anaheim was he didn't hustle away from the puck and was to laid back (i.e. Burke can't spell intensity comments).

I think he is talented and a good goal scorer and underrated playmaker. When he is on he is a 2 way destructive beast. Problem is he only shows up like that 5-10 games a season and never when the team really needs it.

I like him but not for 7.25 l.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think knock on him in anaheim was he didn't hustle away from the puck and was to laid back (i.e. Burke can't spell intensity comments).

I think he is talented and a good goal scorer and underrated playmaker. When he is on he is a 2 way destructive beast. Problem is he only shows up like that 5-10 games a season and never when the team really needs it.

I like him but not for 7.25 l.
Yeah too bad he was that for only 50 games for us ,then he broke his finger .

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So you don't watch Bobby Ryan play is what you are saying
Nobody here watches the sens they just spew nonsense ,like we are bottom 5 last year :laugh:

Funny we lose our starting goalie our backup,a top 6 forward and a number 2 defender .But when we get healthy we go on a record run that had nothing to do with our team,just its all the goaltender :laugh:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The guy was PPG for some decent stretches in Ottawa but the hernia really slowed him down in his first year as a Senator and his entire line went ice cold to close out this season

It happens, he isn't a guy who is good enough to be able to break an entire line's slump and Zibanejad is still very young while Hoffman is a solo flyer type of player

Injuries are concerning because he did a significant hand injury this year but he did well to play through it; he just hasn't proven that he is worth the contract he got in terms of offensive production for various reasons so people are understandbly skeptical

Next year will be an important one: new contract kicks in, married, Senators looking to take the next step and become a playoff team rather than a bubble team

Should make for an interesting storyline for sure. I think he's shown willingness to adapt and work on his overall game so as long as the body holds up I expect great things from him as long as Zibanejad keeps progressing

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The guy was PPG for some decent stretches in Ottawa but the hernia really slowed him down in his first year as a Senator and his entire line went ice cold to close out this season

It happens, he isn't a guy who is good enough to be able to break an entire line's slump and Zibanejad is still very young while Hoffman is a solo flyer type of player

Injuries are concerning because he did a significant hand injury this year but he did well to play through it; he just hasn't proven that he is worth the contract he got in terms of offensive production for various reasons so people are understandbly skeptical

Next year will be an important one: new contract kicks in, married, Senators looking to take the next step and become a playoff team rather than a bubble team

Should make for an interesting storyline for sure. I think he's shown willingness to adapt and work on his overall game so as long as the body holds up I expect great things from him as long as Zibanejad keeps progressing
Just our team healthy for once ,and we are in for sure

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

dont get me wrong if i could trade for silf back to ottawa i would

Thing is though Silf played with kesler and belesky, while Ryan played with zibby and one of michalek/hoffman. Kesler right now is easily better than zibby and hoffman is a similar player to beleskey but we didnt keep that line together for whatever ****ing reason and it got dragged down a lot when it was michalek their instead. Not a knock on silfverberg but i really think he has an easier opportunity to put up points when the focus is on the other 2 forwards on his line where as on the ryan line the focus is primarily on ryan.

As for the main question itself we need to consider a few things regarding bobby ryan.

1. this was a career low shooting percentage by a wide margin, (its possible he regressed that much) but odds are he gets back up into the 11 to 12% range atleast since he has consistently hit that mark in his career (which would have given him another 6-8 goals on the year).

2. Health: When watching ryan play you can tell when he is firing on all cylinders and when their is something wrong. Ryan since coming to ottawa has developed a nice two way game and goes hard into the boards. Unfortunately this also leads to a lot more collisions and their were many times when he got up and it looked like something was wrong (too many to be comfortable with as a sens fan tbh). If he comes in with better conditioning, and maybe even dials back the intensity a bit :p i do think he can play at a consistently high level all season

3. Improved linemates: For the love of everything Milan Michalek/Alex Chiasson etc do not belong in the top 6. He has chemistry with turris/mac or hoff/zibby and he should be paired up with either group. Ryan is easily our most offensively talented forward and we should not be experimenting with him in regards to our lineup. Give him consistency (he has actually brought this up) and the fact that hoff/zibby/turris should take a step forward next year and i think he does better.

So to sum it up, if ryans shooting percentage gets back to his career average, if he stays healthy for the whole season/a larger portion of the season and if we can give him actual top 6 linemates/improved linemates then i think he takes a huge step forward next season

Italian President

Aug 13, 2012
I don't know what to tell you if you think that Belesky is a better player than Silfverberg. It honestly isn't even close. The only thing Belesky does better than Silf is hit. Silf is anywhere from a little better to dramatically better at every other aspect of playing hockey.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Silfverberg would have never gotten to the level he's at this quickly if he had stayed in Ottawa

We don't have a Kesler on a mission

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
I honestly think this is a case of a player being better when others good players are around him (obvious I know).

Give Ryan a decent center and he'll show through. I do agree with the sentiment that he is a 3rd wheel type player - but a very good one at that.

He's one of the players I'd like to see play with Jumbo Joe for example.

At the cap hit though, it's hard for me to justify paying a wing who isn't a Perry/Ovi/Kane more than 7M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad