Bobby Ryan: Case of injuries or overrated?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The guy is signed until the age of 34 (6 more years) at 7.25m/year. I loved him in Anaheim, but it seemed like he started to decline then they got rid of him at the right time. Unfortunately for him, the decline didn't stop and on top of that he was injured (i.e. hernia) and he's already built up a reputation of not showing up when it matters in Ottawa. Every time I hear about his poor performances it's followed by his recent injuries, almost as an excuse...ive seen him play, he's good when he wants to be, but I don't think it's the injuries that cause him to not show up. I think it's a mix of some bad features (skating notably) and high expectations set by his salary that cause all that.

So is it the injuries? Did Anaheim make him look better than he is? Would your team have signed him at his current contract assuming he was a free agent?

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
mixture of both

He is one of my favourite players but he is extremely lackadaisical more often than not

He reminds me of Kovalev compete-level wise

Ewan McGregor*

Overrated. I think that goal in the playoffs blinded a lot of people.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Bobby has a good shot and is an underrated passer but he isn't reaching 30 goals here in Ottawa unless we get him an elite centre. He'll produce 40-50 points, maybe 60 on a good year and that's all we'll get. I honestly think Mark Stone will be a better player before long, but that's to be seen.

Yes, we lost the trade. Silfverberg is a more complete player with less pressure on him and he excels in the shootout.

We had to sign him because we'd lost our franchise player at the time and this is the trade Murray made to pacify us.

Last edited:

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
The way I see it, never trade significant assets for a 3rd wheel type player. That isn't to say Bobby Ryan is a bad player but even when you're a good player being the 3rd wheel on your line or team, it will significantly inflate your value. I'm not saying trading for guys like that never works out mind you, sometimes guys just need the chance to show they're more than that 3rd guy you plugin with your top duo, but more often than not IMO they are replaceable and if you can get significant assets for them you do it 9 times out of 10.

I don't necessarily think getting Bobby Ryan was a bad move by Ottawa but I definitely think considering what they gave up it was a good move by Anaheim. But Anaheim to be fair seems to be one of the better asset managing teams in the league.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Bobby has a good shot and is an underrated passer but he isn't reaching 30 goals here in Ottawa unless we get him an elite centre. He'll produce 40-50 points, maybe 60 on a good year and that's all we'll get. I honestly think Mark Stone will be a better player before long, but that's to be seen.

Yes, we lost the trade. Silfverberg is a more complete player with less pressure on him and he excels in the shootout.

We had to sign him because we'd lost our franchise player at the time and this is the trade Murray made to pacify us.

You're right, this thread isn't a knock on the sens organization...they traded important assets to get him and with Alfie leaving, Ryan was a more than acceptable replacement and you guys had to do whatever you could to keep a guy of his reputation, especially after having given up Silf.

My question was mostly to address Ryan's performance (which you addressed)

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
if you think Ryan is a 30 goal scorer anymore then your over rating him. did he have injuries that effected his season? yes. was that slump at the end of this year due to injuries... no that was bad play and even Ryan said it. he was not injured at the end of the year and simply played bad.

i don't think he is overrated but i don't overrate him so maybe that is why i feel that way.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The guy has amazing skill/hands but seems so inconsistent.

I'll see him on the highlight reel then he goes pointless for 7 games.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Trading for him was a mistake by Ottawa. If they were a contender and Ryan would've pushed them over the top then by all means make the trade. As is Silfverberg would've been much more useful as a long term piece of their rebuild.

idiroft

Sep 21, 2012
Lisboa
He did put up the points in Anaheim but he never really carried the play and found chemistry with anyone.

The Jesus*

He's a good complimentary piece. But if you bring him into a weak lineup and expect him to produce on his own, you're looking for trouble.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Ryan put up 54 points playing with a hand injury for almost the entire season, which severely handicapped his ability to shoot the puck. His shooting percentage this year was 8.1%, which is around 4-6% lower than it is in a normal season for him. If he was able to shoot the puck like he is capable of when healthy and had the same shooting percentage as last year (12.1%), he would have had 27 goals this season. That would have made him a 63 point player, placing him around 30th in scoring in the league.

So yeah he's been limited by injuries, but is still a top line forward and a game-breaking talent. He hasn't regressed, just hasn't stayed healthy. His growing list of injuries is undoubtedly a concern, but if he can avoid injuries he's one of the best RW in the game.

Chird Ferguson

Oct 14, 2012
Ottawa-ish
I would say injuries...

First season: played through a hernia since approximately late November, definitely tough to remain consistent

last year: Played with a broken finger (thumb?) that severly limited his greatest assets (his hands/shot/release)

I hope this season he can play more consistently, Ottawa is in desperate need for him to have a strong year. This team now has expectations. As one of the older players on one of the leagues youngest teams, he has to show up. I still believe

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
READ THIS POST!!

Ok everyone seriously needs to stop thinking Ryan has bad compete level/work ethic. This isn't 2011.

The guy has transformed amazingly to a 2 way beast. The only times he went invisible is in the offensive zone BUT that was only for one large stretch and if a guy just put up 54 points in 78 games while playing with broken finger for 15+ games and suffering hernia issues while playing very good defensively then that's a-ok with me.

Ryan has become a solid leader on this team and made terrific defensive plays in key situations, we normally see this often in superstar one-dimensional forwards who transform their games to 2 way players and go through down years offensively trying to find a medium in balancing their play in both ends and then later on exploding.

Ryan was producing at a 70+ point pace 3/4ths of the season in. but last 20 games he went invisible offensively(even though noticeable in other areas of the game) and he blamed it on injures and what not.

He had 50 points in first 58 games +13

He didn't go more than 3 games without recording a point and longest point-less stretch that time was 3 games.

He was consistent and dominant in almost every area, physically as well.

He had 36 points in 37 games from December till Feb 6th around time he got injury and was +10. It looked like he was gonna shatter his career totals while having a new refined 2 way game.

He suffered finger injury and what not and went reallly cold last 20 or so games recording like 4 or 5 points and -8.

I think with development to Zibanejad and improvement in Hoffman's game we can see Ryan hit 70 again next year possibly. He was basically on pace to score more than that this year until injuries and stuff happened.

If Ryan scores 50ish points again next year without stuff factoring in that Ottawa ****ed up, but for now they have a producing top powerforward in the game locked up longterm yet to be reaching his peak in overall play, imo.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Him leaving the Ducks.

His contract is just awful for a 50 point player who hasn't scored 30 goals in three years, after being a near lock for that before.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
As an Ottawa fan, as much as I think Ryan is overpaid by about 2 mill, I'd still make the trade. Noesen isn't going to amount to much. Silf, while I like the guy, in my opinion is not a cup contending top 6 player. The development of Ritchie will decide who "won" the trade.

I think Ryan is better suited to a #2 RW role. Mark Stone is a better player. I think as Zibanejad continues to develop and they put a good #2 LW on that line, they'll be just that - a good #2 line.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think with development to Zibanejad and improvement in Hoffman's game we can see Ryan hit 70 again next year possibly. He was basically on pace to score more than that this year until injuries and stuff happened..

He hit 70 ONCE while playing with Getzlaf (Top 10 centre) and Perry (top 10/15 winger). You really think he'll do it with freaking Mike Hoffman and Mika Zibanejad? Please stop with the Kool-Aid.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't really know. He has all the talent you could ask for. I still really like Ryan and am terrified anytime he steps onto the ice. I still remember when he was traded - I was really upset that he moved from playing on a rival to one of my two favourite teams to being a rival to my other favourite team.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
definitely not overrated, 4 straight 30 goal seasons speaks for itself

just seems like a case of not being able to find his groove in ottawa. plus playing alongside getzlaf and perry in anaheim helped a lot

SenatorArmy*

Gonna give him the benefit of the doubt because of the major surgery & not being able to train last summer but this year is definitely a prove himself year. We've seen what he is capable of when healthy though. The key is can he stay healthy

CCM19

Not Phased
Apr 2, 2015
His problem is consistency, but I've watched games where he is everywhere creating offense and playing a solid 2 way game. He has moments of "oh my goodness this guy is amazing", and moments of "did he even play tonight"? He just needs a full offseason of training and he'll be back to having a solid year offensively.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Little of both but his all around game is underrated

He can dominate 5-6 games in a row and then go cold. He hasnt been able to find a great deal of consistency i think people hoped for

He played with a broken hand this year too

His effort level is always there and if anything he tries to hard and forces things when he gets cold. He wont use teammates and will try to do everything on his own when he feels pressure

I dont feel his hand and hernia have hurt him much in terms of production. He said the hernia didnt bother him till the end of the season and his production with his hand injury was fine. He took of once it was fully healed for like a point per game then played poorly for the last 20 games

I feel he was the catalyst for his line and i feel Zibby and Hoffman dont produce like they did without him. He was clearly the most engaged player on that line and he clearly showed a higher skilled level then the other two

The thing that bugs me is people say he doesnt bring a great effort level consistently. Ryan brings if every night it just seems sometimes he cant read the play at all and basically is working himself to no where. Ryan was probably Ottawa's hardest working forward night after night and you could tell it was partly because he pressures himself to be "the guy" on this team. He steps up in the lockerroom and talks to younger players about how to prepare and keep themselves motivated. Because he puts himself in this role he feels he has to out work everyone

Mentally Ryan will change his style if he stops scoring for a little while. I think thats his main problem.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad