Bobby Ryan: Case of injuries or overrated?

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
My best friend is a Ducks fan, and up until the trade, Bobby was my favourite non-Senator in the league, suffice to say, I've been watching him for years.

He's much better defensively than he ever was in Anaheim. He hasn't been putting up the same numbers, but playing along side players like Zibanejad/Hoffman vs Getzlaf/Perry will do that to you. (I realize he wasn't always on the RPG line).

Silfverberg will likely never crack 50pts and isn't really a gamebreaker.

Bobby will be good for at least 50+pts each year, and is definitely a gamebreaker.

Ottawa has several players in the system that will be able to fill in for Silfverberg, but none that could really replace what Ryan brings.

Ottawa overpaid for him, but that was reactionary to Alfie leaving.

Enough with this BS. I'm not a fan of either team, but Silfverberg scored 18pts in 16 playoff games, second only to Getzlaf 20 points. If scoring at a 1.125 ppg clip in the playoffs isn't gamebreaking, I don't know what is.

Quote me when Ryan ever scores over a PPG in the playoffs. He played with Getzlaf too and he still couldn't do it.

Oct 18, 2011
Ok no point in arguing with you ,Silf isnt the better player period ,and if you watched the sens you would know how good BR was the first half .
.His offseason surgury may have had something to do with his lack of conditioning ,add in a broken finger .

And he still outpaced Silf by a decent margin ,all while playing with a first time top 6 center in zibby and a rookie in hoffman.Silf is an elite 3 line player ,that can play some top 6 mins .Ryan is an elite 2nd line player that can play some top line mins

silf is without a doubt a top 6 forward if you look at his splits you see a player that significantly improved as the year went on, and when bb finally stuck him with kesler for good he was one of the top players in the entire playoffs

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He obviously cannot be a passenger with those kinds of linemates, but when he's asked to do the driving, the dip in production is exactly what's to be expected given what has been visible in Anaheim.

Also, I feel like with the lack of tangibles showing, some apologists severely overrate the intangibles in his favour, because I couldn't see too much of a great two-way game or an overly consistent effort from him with the Sens, either. Better than in his late Anaheim days, for sure, but far from what some make it out to be.

I don't think anyone is calling him a great two way player but I think your way off base questioning his consistency of effort. Can't recall ever having an issue with his effort not do I recall seeing a sens fan bringing up the same concern. And trust me there would be no issue calling out the effort level of a star player in Ottawa.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I don't think anyone is calling him a great two way player but I think your way off base questioning his consistency of effort. Can't recall ever having an issue with his effort not do I recall seeing a sens fan bringing up the same concern. And trust me there would be no issue calling out the effort level of a star player in Ottawa.

What was said about Ryan's lack of intensity was true.

He's also a very poor skater. When he doesn't score, he's useless.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Adjusting one's play to avoid getting injured is generally the safest way to get injured.

I can see how you'd misinterpret what I posted to be that- but can you see how that's not what I posted?

Enough with this BS. I'm not a fan of either team, but Silfverberg scored 18pts in 16 playoff games, second only to Getzlaf 20 points. If scoring at a 1.125 ppg clip in the playoffs isn't gamebreaking, I don't know what is.

Quote me when Ryan ever scores over a PPG in the playoffs. He played with Getzlaf too and he still couldn't do it.

That's some mighty fine stat reading.

Oct 18, 2011
Silf isnt and never will be top 6 guy because of it ,not so hard to understand .Silf doesnt fight for ice in the dirty areas to score goals,never has never will .And he isnt skilled or fast enough to get production ,without support .He isnt the better player ,period
feel free to stop making things up, silf has become an excellent defensive player and extremely good on the boards

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
When he has the puck, he puts it in. You can't take that away from him. Very meh all-around player though.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What was said about Ryan's lack of intensity was true.

He's also a very poor skater. When he doesn't score, he's useless.

That's your opinion, mine is different. To each their own. I'm not gonna sit here and say silfverberg wasn't particularly useful during his time in Ottawa. Though you seem content in putting Ryan down because he is no longer in Anaheim. Again to each their own.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lmfao, I absolutely love all these other fans coming in and telling us something completely different from what we're saying.

This happens all the time. Most Sens players are overrated or aren't very good and then Ottawa keeps making playoffs and breaking records.

Who remembers that "would you trade Stone for late 1st thread last year" and people saying they wouldn't for a 2nd etc...

"Lacks work ethic" "not a gamebreaker" "overrated" "inconsistent"

I just put up a post saying the guy didnt go more than 3 games without a point for first 60 games and his highest production was PPG over 35ish games during Ottawa's incredible run and last month and a half he cooled off cause of injury.

He was a complementary player 2 years ago but was carrying his line this past year.

He has become a very good 2 way player, rarely costing the team when he's on even with the injury and quite physical. I died when someone called Silfverberg more physical.

The only time his production dropped was last 20 games where he had a broken finger that he'd freeze before games so he can stay and play.

IMO you can not make a definitive claim about Ryan's game yet. Had the guy not been injured and score 15 points in last 20 instead of 5, this thread would be diff.

Next year if he scores 50ish he's overrated. If he scores 65+ then Ottawa has an top line all-around winger on their hands.

alexanderselivanov*

i always thought of bobby ryan as a bigger less skilled phil kessel.

bam09

Jan 19, 2008
Trading for Bobby Ryan wasn't the problem. Giving him 50 million, and 7 years was.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
I always felt that Bobby's skating and balance held him back. He's got world-class hands and great wrist shot but he's saddled with beer league skates from playing roller hockey :sarcasm:

If he could ever find a way to improve his skating, he would be an even more dangerous player. Even if he continues to improve his conditioning and focuses on his 2-way game, he spends too much energy plodding around to play a 200 ft game every night. Playing with a hernia just makes it that much tougher.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Was Ville Leino a game breaker (20 pts in 19 games)?
Fanzen (18 pts in 12 games)?
Derek King (14 pts in 11 Games)?
Joel Ward (13 pts in 12 games)?

Heck guys like Kirk Muller, Purcell, Thomas, Kozlov and Rj Umberger have flirted with a point per game in a playoff run.

Freaking Shayne Corson had 14 pts in 13 games.

A good playoff run, or even a great one, doesn't make you a game breaker. We're talking about tiny samples here.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Was Ville Leino a game breaker (20 pts in 19 games)?
Fanzen (18 pts in 12 games)?
Derek King (14 pts in 11 Games)?
Joel Ward (13 pts in 12 games)?

Heck guys like Kirk Muller, Purcell, Thomas, Kozlov and Rj Umberger have flirted with a point per game in a playoff run.

Freaking Shayne Corson had 14 pts in 13 games.

A good playoff run, or even a great one, doesn't make you a game breaker. We're talking about tiny samples here.

First off, all of those players were older than Silfverberg (24 years old) when they saw playoff success:

Franzen (30 years old); King (26 years old) had 14pts in 18 games btw not in 11 games as you mentioned; Ward (30 years old); Leino (27 years old).

Second off, the ones that were just flukes (King and Leino) had other players that had scored much more than they had on the same team. Briere had 30pts, while Richards had 23pts to Leino's 21; while in King's case Ferraro had 20pts and Thomas had 17pts. Moreover, they never put up anything close to that number of points in their other playoff trips. Therefore, I think it's safe to assume that they were just fluke performances, somewhat leeching off of their linemates.

Third off, I don't know about you, but Franzen and Ward are extremely terrible example, as these two have proven time and time again that they are playoff warriors and playoff game breakers. They might not have put up too many points during the regular season, but in almost all of their playoffs trips they were among the best forwards on their teams.

Lastly, you're right. One playoff run doesn't make you a game-breaker, but it does show you have potential to be one. Let's see how Silfverberg plays in next year's playoffs and if he manages to repeat his performance, it'll become clearer.

Just as an aside, I thought Silfverberg came up extremely big in the playoffs in the Montreal-Ottawa series during the lockout season, so this past season's performance is not extremely surprising to me since he seems to rise up during the playoffs, especially if he's put in the top6 with other skilled players.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
This thread is proof that Ryan's really grown over the last 2 years. He's not just an offensive weapon anymore. So much more.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
READ THIS POST!!

Ok everyone seriously needs to stop thinking Ryan has bad compete level/work ethic. This isn't 2011.

The guy has transformed amazingly to a 2 way beast. The only times he went invisible is in the offensive zone BUT that was only for one large stretch and if a guy just put up 54 points in 78 games while playing with broken finger for 15+ games and suffering hernia issues while playing very good defensively then that's a-ok with me.

Ryan has become a solid leader on this team and made terrific defensive plays in key situations, we normally see this often in superstar one-dimensional forwards who transform their games to 2 way players and go through down years offensively trying to find a medium in balancing their play in both ends and then later on exploding.

Ryan was producing at a 70+ point pace 3/4ths of the season in. but last 20 games he went invisible offensively(even though noticeable in other areas of the game) and he blamed it on injures and what not.

He had 50 points in first 58 games +13

He didn't go more than 3 games without recording a point and longest point-less stretch that time was 3 games.

He was consistent and dominant in almost every area, physically as well.

He had 36 points in 37 games from December till Feb 6th around time he got injury and was +10. It looked like he was gonna shatter his career totals while having a new refined 2 way game.

He suffered finger injury and what not and went reallly cold last 20 or so games recording like 4 or 5 points and -8.

I think with development to Zibanejad and improvement in Hoffman's game we can see Ryan hit 70 again next year possibly. He was basically on pace to score more than that this year until injuries and stuff happened.

If Ryan scores 50ish points again next year without stuff factoring in that Ottawa ****ed up, but for now they have a producing top powerforward in the game locked up longterm yet to be reaching his peak in overall play, imo.

This post sums it up pretty good. Insanely overrated by sens fans :laugh:

Italian President

Aug 13, 2012
I swear, most of the people in this thread have never seen Silfverberg play. He's ridiculously good at winning puck battle, is a terrific forechecker and plays above average defense. He's a good passer and has one of the best releases in the entire NHL. Watch out for him next year, I think he's going to explode.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I swear, most of the people in this thread have never seen Silfverberg play. He's ridiculously good at winning puck battle, is a terrific forechecker and plays above average defense. He's a good passer and has one of the best releases in the entire NHL. Watch out for him next year, I think he's going to explode.

I'd agree, he's a player I could see breaking out soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->