Post-Game Talk: Bobby McMann Beats Blues

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
They were actually likeable the way they played last night
It felt great. Now I’m gonna be Debbie downer lol

With them all playing hard, simple hockey for most of the shifts I noticed even more what I’m now gonna call the Marlander plays.

The only guy that did things like unnecessary drop passes at the offensive blue line, tap flicks up the boards that went nowhere, and zero physical play last night was Nylander.

You add Marner who does the same things and now you have 1/3 of your most played lines doing unnecessary, detrimental shit. They have to stop doing that. It’s a must. It’s those that stop the positive momentum in the game and put unnecessary pressure on the D.

If Keefe can get them to play simple most of the time so that they blend with their teammates that’ll end up giving themselves more time and space to do the talented things that make them special. If they added a touch of physicality and cut out their brain/ego farts they’d be loved by all.

Reactions: rumman and TMLife17

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

With them all playing hard, simple hockey for most of the shifts I noticed even more what I’m now gonna call the Marlander plays.

The only guy that did things like unnecessary drop passes at the offensive blue line, tap flicks up the boards that went nowhere, and zero physical play last night was Nylander.

You add Marner who does the same things and now you have 1/3 of your most played lines doing unnecessary, detrimental shit. They have to stop doing that. It’s a must. It’s those that stop the positive momentum in the game and put unnecessary pressure on the D.

If Keefe can get them to play simple most of the time so that they blend with their teammates that’ll end up giving themselves more time and space to do the talented things that make them special. If they added a touch of physicality and cut out their brain/ego farts they’d be loved by all.
Exactly. So we need to pick one of Marner or Nylander.

Tavares wasn't missed in the slightest imo.

Amazing how different it is to watch an honest effort!
I suppose the question is, is it better to have a less talented (not zero talent) team that works hard? Or a more talented team that doesn't?

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Team doesn’t look that bad when they are all forced to work hard…. Not just float around and try to get around on skill only…
I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I think that's the team we will see in the playoffs, but with a stronger defense after the adds that are made at the deadline. I think the best thing for this team would be to get Boston in the first round (if Florida can catch Boston for first in the division). The Bruins are neither a fast nor a tough team, and not even particularly aggressive on the forecheck, and the Leafs can play the low-scoring game that the Bruins prefer.

Reactions: arso40

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Matthews and Nylander are locked in for medium-long term

Marner would probably stay, I don't know if he's toxic in the locker room

Tavares though, you can do so much with his 11M.

Marner will only stay for north of 11M

No way this team is taken serious with Matthews at 13M, Willie at 12M, and Marner at another 12...

JT gives us 11M for a serious goalie and D
Marners 11M will get us another Forward
One who isnt undersized and gets bullied by men and has to do a blind no look reverse pass in a 1 goal game in the playoffs Game 7 with noone at the blue line.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

No way this team is taken serious with Matthews at 13M, Willie at 12M, and Marner at another 12...

One who isnt undersized and gets bullied by men and has to do a blind no look reverse pass in a 1 goal game in the playoffs Game 7 with noone at the blue line.
I would keep Marner. It's Tavares' salary that needs to be replaced with other players in the lineup. That said, if he is willing to resign at a very reduced number (i.e., 50% of his current number), I think that can also work.

Reactions: bax and ACC1224

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I think that's the team we will see in the playoffs, but with a stronger defense after the adds that are made at the deadline. I think the best thing for this team would be to get Boston in the first round (if Florida can catch Boston for first in the division). The Bruins are neither a fast nor a tough team, and not even particularly aggressive on the forecheck, and the Leafs can play the low-scoring game that the Bruins prefer.
Same team except we’d like to see Rielly in the lineup for playoffs.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Marner isn’t undersized. He plays scared.

Team doesn’t look that bad when they are all forced to work hard…. Not just float around and try to get around on skill only…
They have 3 skilled forwards and the rest are a bunch of guys.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Interesting post game McCabe comment, which clearly illustrates the team has galvanized behind Reilly, said that’s “we got one win for him tonight, hopefully that continues”. Parrots, team building ;)

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Thought the bolded was interesting but doesn't seem right.

Google has without
Rielly 38-18-7
Matthews 35-19-2
Nylander 46-39-12
Marner 12-13-4

not sure why but the record without Tavares wasn't returned
That must include the season Nylander didn't have a contract.

I can't remember him missing so many games

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

Nylander is not very physical, but rewatch the PP in the third. He smoked the Blues dman off the puck to keep possession.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nylander is not very physical, but rewatch the PP in the third. He smoked the Blues dman off the puck to keep possession.
He had a couple really bad, careless giveaways last night. It didn't cost them though.

I'd bet Nylander and Matthews are both sick as well, just not as sick as Marner/Tavares.

Reactions: Jojalu

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I think Leaf fans would enjoy having more of a team like the Bruins that had some(Matthews, Nylander) skill but all their guys were grinders and had a blue collar work ethic. You know what you’re going to get every night. 34 and 88 would adapt and be the same players but get much more love then they do now. Imagine how you could speed that 27 (get rid of Bertuzzi) on useful players to fill out a better lineup.

I know not a lot happen the PPs for the Leafs last night but the puck movement was quick very little holding on for long stretches keep a very good Blues PK out of position. Leafs just had some guys in positions they could shoot due to not practicing and being thrown together last minute.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I would keep Marner. It's Tavares' salary that needs to be replaced with other players in the lineup. That said, if he is willing to resign at a very reduced number (i.e., 50% of his current number), I think that can also work.
Want no part of Tavares after his deal is over, I honestly feel he's part of the culture problem we have here

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
This one is up for massive debate.
BUT
I would only want JT back at $2 mill or under and I think he will do that.

In fact if he is smart he will do that at his first possible opportunity to take advantage of the good karma.

I would be shocked if JT wanted to move his family away from Toronto at this stage in his life.

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
Brodie’s best game of the season. He’s so much stronger on the left side. They really need a defensive D like Schenn was with Rielly to really get the most out of our defense.

Solid game when everyone is buying in. Nice to see McMann get rewarded, hopefully it’s Bert next time.
We get the best out of our defense when Rielly isn't there. I maintain from the first time he laced them up with the Leafs, that guy should have been a winger.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Marner isn’t undersized. He plays scared.
Marner isn't big either. I think he plays a bit cautious sure but he that will pay off when he's not banged up and broken down later on in his career. I will take his points and defensive responsibility over trying to play physically to impress fans. That was never his style and I don't see other 90+ point players getting flack for it. Rather him stay in the lineup and have good long term health than Mitch to try and start being physical out of no where. He is what he is.

Reactions: 666 and ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes