Post-Game Talk: Bobby McMann Beats Blues

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Hard to say for sure. They did last night but it is only one game. Hoping we get to see last night's lineup vs Philly to have another look.

We would absolutely be faster without Tavares, because we couldn't be slower.

• Haha
Reactions: TMLife17

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
They can definitely win without either of them in the lineup. Obviously, Marner would need replacing, but Tavares can disappear and it won’t matter.

I always wonder why it takes certain guys out of the lineup to see an effort like this. Should be like this every night. Maybe it’s a matter of these guys feeling more engaged and part of a team, as opposed to being afterthoughts.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Nylander is not very physical, but rewatch the PP in the third. He smoked the Blues dman off the puck to keep possession.
Sure but I’m not gonna focus on his pp time. Playoffs will have fewer and leafs don’t get a lot of calls anyway.

His even strength play is way more important.

He and Marner have to make simple adjustments to their games. If the rest of the team plays like they did last night they’ll both stand out in a really negative way.

Reactions: Jojalu

horner

May 22, 2007
15-2-1, without Rielly in the line up over the last two season... sometimes the numbers tell the entire story. When the team plays on their toes and is hungry, they are kinda good.
They play a simple game
No back passes
No long passes
They hit
The forwards need to come back to help out
At least that is what I saw Watching last night

horner

May 22, 2007
The way we played last night was a team game.
Big reason why I don't want to trade Cowan Robertson Minten Grebyonkin they are all coachable players that will buy in.
I would keep Nylander and Mathew's.need to buy in as well
Trade Warner
JT when his contract runs out see ya
When you have a core like we fo they have to much control over the team .

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
They can definitely win without either of them in the lineup. Obviously, Marner would need replacing, but Tavares can disappear and it won’t matter.

I always wonder why it takes certain guys out of the lineup to see an effort like this. Should be like this every night. Maybe it’s a matter of these guys feeling more engaged and part of a team, as opposed to being afterthoughts.
It can work in short bursts, but over time a lineup without those guys would be much worse off from a performance and standings perspective. Any team can compensate for a handful of games. The Leafs may win all 5 games that Rielly is out because it coincides with a softer stretch in the schedule, but they need all of these guys in the lineup to be successful.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Sure but I’m not gonna focus on his pp time. Playoffs will have fewer and leafs don’t get a lot of calls anyway.

He and Marner have to make simple adjustments to their games. If the rest of the team plays like they did last night they’ll both stand out in a really negative way.
Agreed. Unless he puts up insane numbers.

Most folks didn't care that Gretzky wasn't physical when he was scoring 200 points

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It can work in short bursts, but over time a lineup without those guys would be much worse off from a performance and standings perspective. Any team can compensate for a handful of games. The Leafs may win all 5 games that Rielly is out because it coincides with a softer stretch in the schedule, but they need all of these guys in the lineup to be successful.

Yep that record with guys out of the line up is indicative of different depth guys stepping up at different times.

If it’s the same depth guys over a longer period it may not look at good.

What I think those records indicate is Keefe’s ability to have depth guys play in a cohesive system. Perhaps he gets in his own way with the stars on the team or can’t coach them properly.

Reactions: ACC1224

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Top nine players in takeaways this season, with giveaways in brackets:
Draisaitl 61 (55)
Stone 61 (26)
Barzal 60 (60)
Nylander 57 (27)
Malkin 53 (41)
Matthews 51 (32)
Eichel 47 (28)
Thomas 46 (32)
McDavid 46 (51)

I don't think Willy is as bad defensively as some people would like to believe.

Marner leads the Leafs in giveaways with 48 (14th in the league) and has only 38 takeaways.

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
How can this possibly be said when we don't know who the players are that replace them?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Definitely need Rielly, Marner certainly helps (but at what cost?), but we're likely better without JT.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Top nine players in takeaways this season, with giveaways in brackets:
Draisaitl 61 (55)
Stone 61 (26)
Barzal 60 (60)
Nylander 57 (27)
Malkin 53 (41)
Matthews 51 (32)
Eichel 47 (28)
Thomas 46 (32)
McDavid 46 (51)

I don't think Willy is as bad defensively as some people would like to believe.

Marner leads the Leafs in giveaways with 48 (14th in the league) and has only 38 takeaways.
Marner’s takeaways are down this year, he’s usually topish in the league. The giveaways are a red herring, consistently over the years it’s the mostly the best players in the league, which tells you something about its worth. I believe he’s usually in the top 10 there as well.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Obviously you didn’t read. I was referring to Marner and Tavares, Reilly we need. Tavares can disappear altogether. Marner would need to be traded. But they can win, and I would say they would be a better team overall, without Marner and JT

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
What I think those records indicate is Keefe’s ability to have depth guys play in a cohesive system. Perhaps he gets in his own way with the stars on the team or can’t coach them properly.
I think there is merit in this position. There are lots of examples of teams with mediocre lineups over-achieving because a coach has been able to get them to buy in to a system (the Trotz Islanders being the best recent example of this). But those teams rarely win championships. More often than not, the teams that win are the ones with the most talented players playing to their potential. That's why having guys with elite talent is always the better approach. The odds are that eventually the team with the most talent will win.

Obviously you didn’t read. I was referring to Marner and Tavares, Reilly we need. Tavares can disappear altogether. Marner would need to be traded. But they can win, and I would say they would be a better team overall, without Marner and JT
Like anything else, it would depend on who replaced them.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
They played the way they always should. It had nothing to do with who was or wasn't dressed and everything to do with the thought processing between their ears. They played with structure and determination and were a much better team for it.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It's always hilarious when we play without a star player and win, and then everybody starts acting like we don't need them

Yeah, no one honestly believes that.

It's just a shot at the Shanaplan and how frustrated Leafs Nation are with this group's lack of playoff success with the top heavy approach that us very same fans have insisted won't work from the beginning.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marner isn't big either. I think he plays a bit cautious sure but he that will pay off when he's not banged up and broken down later on in his career. I will take his points and defensive responsibility over trying to play physically to impress fans. That was never his style and I don't see other 90+ point players getting flack for it. Rather him stay in the lineup and have good long term health than Mitch to try and start being physical out of no where. He is what he is.
He doesn’t have to be overly physical, just quit being scared to death. He’ll never win anything playing the way he does. At least we hope the NHL gets to that level.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Does thing change anyone's mind on acquiring a RHD for this year?

If Brodie is that much better on the left side, would it not be the same as finding 2 for the price of 1.

Grab a partner for Rielly, drop Brodie down with Lilly, then Benoit and McCabe.

Gio can fill in as needed
Brodie had a good game last night, but one of his biggest faults is he shy's away from physical contact, and I don't think it matters what side of the ice your playing on for that not to be a issue going forward.............

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
They play a simple game
No back passes
No long passes
They hit
The forwards need to come back to help out
At least that is what I saw Watching last night

I hate the back passes... Sick of watching this team try to play futsal rather than ice hockey. No surprise to me that the team plays a more structurally sound game when the big guns are out. Must be something about the leadership of this team.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
its great we won and kudos to McMann, but despite having a 5 game winning streak St. Louis is baaaaaaad....
No interest in Parayako either.
And expect our rocket scientist coach to explain why in a game or two why he will scratch McMann for Reeves
I think the Blues are pretty good. Couldn’t get any shots on net bc the Leafs were closing a lot of gaps. Also there were a few odd man rushes that Blues players just didn’t create even a shot, which is odd.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Does thing change anyone's mind on acquiring a RHD for this year?

If Brodie is that much better on the left side, would it not be the same as finding 2 for the price of 1.

Grab a partner for Rielly, drop Brodie down with Lilly, then Benoit and McCabe.

Gio can fill in as needed
Knowing Keefe, even if they get a RD to play with Reilly, he will play TJ on the right with McCabe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad