Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
They play a simple game
No back passes
No long passes
They hit
The forwards need to come back to help out
At least that is what I saw Watching last night

So we played like a team, with purpose, is what you are saying? Maybe we should try that in the Playoffs? My money is on them not showing up for the next game.

Reactions: Arzak and Fogelhund

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
Been here a long time, and not much has changed when it comes to the bias the mods (a large chunk of them) have towards leafs fans.

People can troll, instigate and say whatever they want about the leafs and their fans and they will allow it. But as soon as you react or comment, welcome to infractionville.

Source- Me and my 17 infractions.
Ya it's pretty nuts. I don't even post often and I've gotten 10. I also remember that stretch when I lost the ability to like comments for 6 months. Our forum seems to be fair game for anyone to come in and shitpost though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So we played like a team, with purpose, is what you are saying? Maybe we should try that in the Playoffs? My money is on them not showing up for the next game.

That depends on how long the stars are out... when you have a bunch of players hungry for playing time, it's infectious... it shouldn't be bottom up though, that type of leadership should be top down.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Marner’s takeaways are down this year, he’s usually topish in the league. The giveaways are a red herring, consistently over the years it’s the mostly the best players in the league, which tells you something about its worth. I believe he’s usually in the top 10 there as well.
Takeaways are relevant but giveaways aren't?

Yes, players who have the puck more tend to lose it more, but it's still valid in perspective.

Over the last five seasons, Matthews leads the league in takeaways (336), with Marner second (331) and Nylander eleventh (258). At the same time, Matthews is 51st in giveaways (236), Marner is fourth (345), and Nylander is 134th (179). Obviously not all the players who handle the puck a lot lose it as much.

But my point wasn't really about Marner at all - looking at the top players in takeaways, many have a similar number of giveaways (as does Marner), but a few have appreciably fewer. Mark Stone and Nylander are the only ones with fewer than half the giveaways. Also, Willy has been improving on both the number of takeaways and the ratio the last few years. As I said, my point was that "I don't think Willy is as bad defensively as some people would like to believe."

DutchHockeyGuy

Mar 8, 2007
I have fast forwarded through most of the games this season. But watched the full 60 minutes and the intermissions without touching the remote.

This is a team I can be proud about. Hard working, disciplined, defensively strong and an unlikely hero.

I really do not expect too much from my Leafs. Just hard work and battling for every puck. This game delivered.

Mark Giordano played his best game of the season. Robertson, Domi, Bertuzzi, Gregor, the entire defence with a special mention for McCabe all very good.

Lets hope the Reilly-situation is a rallying point to take the team to a new level.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I have fast forwarded through most of the games this season. But watched the full 60 minutes and the intermissions without touching the remote.

This is a team I can be proud about. Hard working, disciplined, defensively strong and an unlikely hero.

I really do not expect too much from my Leafs. Just hard work and battling for every puck. This game delivered.

Mark Giordano played his best game of the season. Robertson, Domi, Bertuzzi, Gregor, the entire defence with a special mention for McCabe all very good.

Let’s hope the Reilly-situation is a rallying point to take the team to a new level.
A team of professionals shouldn’t need a suspension to be a rallying point to try harder.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
The Bertuzzi-Domi-Robertson line was very good. Keefe should give them a longer look when Tavares and Marner come back.
What's funny is that Keefe was forced to try a Bertuzzi-Domi-Marner line earlier this season, and it was easily the Leafs' most dangerous line that night. So the question is, will Keefe once again ignore that these somewhat unorthodox combinations sometimes work better?
Nah, next game he'll be back to his non-working lines. Keep driving that square peg into the round hole...

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Lets hope the Reilly-situation is a rallying point to take the team to a new level.
Good post. Hi5.

Reactions: DutchHockeyGuy

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Yes, players who have the puck more tend to lose it more, but it's still valid in perspective.

Over the last five seasons, Matthews leads the league in takeaways (336), with Marner second (331) and Nylander eleventh (258). At the same time, Matthews is 51st in giveaways (236), Marner is fourth (345), and Nylander is 134th (179). Obviously not all the players who handle the puck a lot lose it as much.

But my point wasn't really about Marner at all - looking at the top players in takeaways, many have a similar number of giveaways (as does Marner), but a few have appreciably fewer. Mark Stone and Nylander are the only ones with fewer than half the giveaways. Also, Willy has been improving on both the number of takeaways and the ratio the last few years. As I said, my point was that "I don't think Willy is as bad defensively as some people would like to believe."
Yes takeaways mean more, just look at who always lead in giveaways it's the best of the best mostly. You have the puck all the time, you give it away, it's good company. Go look year to year giveaways I'm fine with that list.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
This might be the most Leaf win of all time.

I typically don't like to be negative after a positive result, regardless of the process that got that result. That sentiment is especially true when we win a game where we don't have our best stuff. I tend to try focus on the positive, which would be the 2 pts in that case. But in these rare occasions, where we have every reason to be ecstatic with not just the result but also the process, I find myself scratching my head more than usual. I just will never understand why our team at full strength cannot play within that type of structure and discipline.

For whatever reason we ALWAYS play our best hockey whenever we have major pieces missing. The attention to detail is magnified, and you see an actual team effort for 60 f***ing minutes.

Please make it make sense. I am also asking/begging for this to be a start of something more to come.

Great win, great effort. But f***...

Reactions: weems

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes takeaways mean more, just look at who always lead in giveaways it's the best of the best mostly. You have the puck all the time, you give it away, it's good company. Go look year to year giveaways I'm fine with that list.
Takeaways and Giveaways are subjective like Hits, not an accurate stat and can vary from building to building.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Ya it's pretty nuts. I don't even post often and I've gotten 10. I also remember that stretch when I lost the ability to like comments for 6 months. Our forum seems to be fair game for anyone to come in and shitpost though.
1707939172282.gif

14 including a 4 month sussy in 2.5 years.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yes, and when you are among the best of the best and have the puck all the time, and still don't give it away as much, isn't that even better?

Reactions: arso40

horner

May 22, 2007
Same with you but they showed what they can do , if they want to ..
That is the way they need to play in the playoffs none of this fancy shit.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
To be honest, I think most fans just thought it was a breath of fresh air witnessing a type of performance this team so rarely delivers.
It was very refreshing to see a hard working consistent effort instead of the normal floating around waiting for the height paid core to get it done or the obligatory we must get the puck to one of the greats so they can get their personal accomplishments

The main fancy shit culprit was missing and so was the corpse of JT…….so there that

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
A team of professionals shouldn’t need a suspension to be a rallying point to try harder.
Bingo…….but they seem to, however with out those 2 guys some of the others were given opportunities they don’t always get and look how well the played

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Hey listen you cant expect a player to show up more than 50% of the time, if he is getting paid less than $15 mil

Reactions: Racer88 and horner

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
What's funny is that Keefe was forced to try a Bertuzzi-Domi-Marner line earlier this season, and it was easily the Leafs' most dangerous line that night. So the question is, will Keefe once again ignore that these somewhat unorthodox combinations sometimes work better?
Nah, next game he'll be back to his non-working lines. Keep driving that square peg into the round hole...
Of course he will go back, he has to keep the core 4 happy.

Reactions: horner and arso40

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Been here a long time, and not much has changed when it comes to the bias the mods (a large chunk of them) have towards leafs fans.

People can troll, instigate and say whatever they want about the leafs and their fans and they will allow it. But as soon as you react or comment, welcome to infractionville.

Source- Me and my 17 infractions.

So you are saying the Mods here, have the same playbook of the NHL DOPS?

Also I find some of Leaf posters on here live to flag people for stupid shit and TBH the Mods dont get paid here, why in the heck would they care if you got a Troll Stomper infraction... I've had some infractions only because the person I was debating had thin skin and decided his pound of flesh was due and decided to report me.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Oops

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: arso40

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
This might be the most Leaf win of all time.

I typically don't like to be negative after a positive result, regardless of the process that got that result. That sentiment is especially true when we win a game where we don't have our best stuff.
If not for 13 minutes of McMann do they even win? They controlled the play for sure but this victory didn't feel good. Not a satisfying win for me if I am looking for a playoff ready hockey team. It feels like it was a night when one club didn't show up rather than a team seizing control.

Matthews doesn't need to score every night but he needs more than 2 sog when two of the top 6 are out. Willie with an ES point was a relief but ffs he has fallen to around 80th in the league in pp60. He was 22nd last year and that should really be his floor after the deal he was given.

I am seizing on Bobby Mac as my bright spot. Its only one game and will never be repeated but the argument with him has been he does some things pretty well but only has AHL finish and 2 goals in 35 games supports that. If that is to change he would need to break out do something to give himself and the club a bit of confidence to give him more opportunities. So good on you kid and Sheldon please play the guy for a game or two just in case there is something more there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00