Bobby Burgers

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Got a link? I usually follow him but hockey twitter is hit and miss down here on vacation. I like his takes on things, humorous and a bit sceptical but usually a pretty fair take of what Joe Fan thinks.

I am in Show Me State with him now. He has owned up to messing up the Chiarelli hire, not providing sufficient oversight to the hockey ops department, and his apology to Reider seems honest. Lets see what he does now because there is zero change he gets replaced by Katz.
Just talking about this tweet 3IR posted.

I always jump on the Oilers for the way they run things. I think they are a bad organization. But the weeping and stone-throwing over Bob Nicholson’s comments are ridiculous. He mis-spoke, he apologized and we all know what he meant. Lack of secondary scoring is a big problem

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
These Kat calls mid interview are certainly perplexing. If I didn’t know better I’d say they are just trolling us at this point.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
These Kat calls mid interview are certainly perplexing. If I didn’t know better I’d say they are just trolling us at this point.

They are incapable of anything in the realm of subtley. Kind of like how every gm here telegraphs to the world their game plan.

Reactions: Porkleaker

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
2 calls mid-show in 1 week to 2 key Oiler people who were unsuspecting he would be calling. He knew they would be on air. Paranoid?

It’s strange as hell.

Would he though? See I've been wondering this as well; Would he actually be tapped into/or care about every single radio hit and be listening live to bother calling mid-show? I tend to doubt it. I lean towards it being an extremely bizarre coincidence. I'm sure Katz and Bobby are in communication almost daily about how this circus is progressing.

Oct 15, 2008
Would he though? See I've been wondering this as well; Would he actually be tapped into/or care about every single radio hit and be listening live to bother calling mid-show? I tend to doubt it. I lean towards it being an extremely bizarre coincidence. I'm sure Katz and Bobby are in communication almost daily about how this circus is progressing.
There was the time callers on Booby’s show were calling for Crapt to be fired and he called in or texted Bob to say Craig isn’t going anywhere. Who knows but the one thing we do know is he is not going to fire Lowe or Mact. If he hasn’t done it by now, he isn’t going to ever. What we need is a new owner. Wish I was kidding...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I could see a new GM and HC with all of the OBC remaining in place, all of the assistant coaches stay the same. SSDD. Always gotta have human shields in place to protect turds like MacT.

Reactions: Porkleaker and TB12

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
There was the time callers on Booby’s show were calling for Crapt to be fired and he called in or texted Bob to say Craig isn’t going anywhere. Who knows but the one thing we do know is he is not going to fire Lowe or Mact. If he hasn’t done it by now, he isn’t going to ever. What we need is a new owner. Wish I was kidding...

This is obvious as the nose on my face. The problem starts with Katz, and until that problem is solved, this franchise will never be able to move on. I suppose there is a theoretical argument that Katz will wake the F up and fire the entire OBC, but really, nobody believes that will ever happen, under any circumstances.

Reactions: MikeYEG

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The one thing that might be different this year is that it appears his season ticket holder base might be ready to abandon him. This might be a game changer for him. I’m curious to see if he loves his friends more than he loves money. I suspect when it comes down to it, he loves money more.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Surely he knows Stauffer was on air with Spec as it’s a regularly scheduled show? Maybe someone texted Katz who was listening and said hey your getting carved pretty good on Stauffers show.

Nicholson perhaps it was a weird coincidence.

Pretty weird to happen twice in a week.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The one thing that might be different this year is that it appears his season ticket holder base might be ready to abandon him. This might be a game changer for him. I’m curious to see if he loves his friends more than he loves money. I suspect when it comes down to it, he loves money more.

The problem is, even if the season ticket holders all leave, Katz can afford to lose a LOT of money with the Oilers, and not have it affect him in the least. We're talking about a guy who is worth around 3-3.5 billion USD. He is reportedly quite liquid as well, as he has sold off many of his holdings over the past decade. Even if he is only 50% liquid, and invested it in a GIC (lol) at 2%, he would make $30 million USD/year off that investment. In all likelihood, the team could have zero fans show up for a single game, and Katz really wouldn't care that much from a money perspective.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The problem is, even if the season ticket holders all leave, Katz can afford to lose a LOT of money with the Oilers, and not have it affect him in the least. We're talking about a guy who is worth around 3-3.5 billion USD. He is reportedly quite liquid as well, as he has sold off many of his holdings over the past decade. Even if he is only 50% liquid, and invested it in a GIC (lol) at 2%, he would make $30 million USD/year off that investment. In all likelihood, the team could have zero fans show up for a single game, and Katz really wouldn't care that much from a money perspective.

Well when you allegedly offer $1 million to sleep with women it wouldn't take long to start to miss some of that revenue. Besides I've known some rich people that are complete tight wads and can never have enough $, so the idea of them being fine with losing money would depend greatly on the individual.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We’ll see, I don’t think guys like Katz are okay with losing any amounts of money. In the last two seasons we’ve heard of two temper tantrums he’s thrown. The first one was last season when he wanted Mclellan fired early in the season and was eventually talked out of it. It was reported by Friedman he was upset because the previous season they led the league in revenue generated and that season they started slipping. The second was this year when Mclellan was eventually fired. That move was made when it was because the organization was afraid of losing sth’ers if they fell out of the race early again. He was so upset he flew to Edmonton to discuss the Mclellan situation in person.

All I’m saying here is he’s never been in this situation since he’s owned this club. We don’t know what he’ll do but there’s plenty of evidence to suggest money is his biggest motivator. I’m curious to see how big of a motivator it is.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
All I’m saying here is he’s never been in this situation since he’s owned this club. We don’t know what he’ll do but there’s plenty of evidence to suggest money is his biggest motivator. I’m curious to see how big of a motivator it is.

And that MIGHT be our saving grace. If he truly puts winning (winning = more $) over his love for the clowns that have kept us in this position for the last decade plus, it might actually turn the ship around.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
And that MIGHT be our saving grace. If he truly puts winning (winning = more $) over his love for the clowns that have kept us in this position for the last decade plus, it might actually turn the ship around.

The OBC is getting so toxic that they're probably trying to figure out how they can all involve themselves without hurting the brand. The Oilers had guaranteed loyalty from the fans in Edmonton but have somehow worn than patience out. The odds are probably against us to make the playoffs next year so this hire will have to satisfy fans over the long haul. Any visible OBC presence will be criticized quite ruthlessly with this much bad will built up. I just used the process of foresight though, which we have no evidence this organization has, so expect a shuffling of deck chairs and one new face that will be set up to be the scapegoat.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It could be our saving grace or it could be something entirely different. Again, we’ll see. The last thing I expect him to do is nothing. I don’t see him as the kind of guy that would sit by year after year with thousands of empty seats in his building every night. He very well might lash out at the fans and cut the budget. He could cut and run and try and sell the team. Maybe we’ll find out how strong that location agreement in the arena deal is at some point. Either way I’m curious to see what he’ll do.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
We’ll see, I don’t think guys like Katz are okay with losing any amounts of money. In the last two seasons we’ve heard of two temper tantrums he’s thrown. The first one was last season when he wanted Mclellan fired early in the season and was eventually talked out of it. It was reported by Friedman he was upset because the previous season they led the league in revenue generated and that season they started slipping. The second was this year when Mclellan was eventually fired. That move was made when it was because the organization was afraid of losing sth’ers if they fell out of the race early again. He was so upset he flew to Edmonton to discuss the Mclellan situation in person.

You might be right but I have little sympathy for Katz. I see it as the Frankenstein syndrome. You make some very poor ethical illogical choices and then you can't live with what you have created.

He himself created the playboy atmosphere around the clubhouse while other teams made more mature choices. You can't act like an 18 year old forever no matter how much money you have.

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
One of the biggest issues that i see with Katz is that he is willing to spend to the salary cap and believes that this is what leads to having a competitive team. It should if you have competent management, which we clearly haven’t had in many years.

Unfortunately Katz appears really cheap when it comes to spending on the things that will increase the likelihood of the organization being successful. We have a microscopic pro scouting department, we don’t even have an analytics team, we seem understaffed in player development roles (working with prospects in developing training and nutrition as e.g.), i sense we have a smaller than average amateur scouting department (I have no proof of this just a gut feel), and I never hear about us focusing on R&D (optimizing sleep, mental training, vision training, etc).

If revenue declines through the loss of season tickets my worry is that Katz will further reduce roles that are pivotal to developing a strong organization which will put us further behind the rest of the league. The areas I hi-lighted above are where he can spend unlimited money to increase the likelihood of sucess if he was truly interested in winning and not just making a buck.

Proof is in the pudding, I guess.

Last edited:

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
What caught me off guard was hearing that hitch has a 2 year contract and would be involved with the team in some capacity after this year. That drives me crazy. If the individual isn’t good enough in the role they were hired in then kick them to the curb.

Why do we have to keep everyone on board?

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
upload_2019-3-24_10-26-14.png

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The oilers are going to need another annex. No one ever leaves, now hitch lol

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I say we get a bunch of patch business owners together, form an ownership group and put a bid together to buy this team from Katz. It would only take 500 of us at $1mil or 1000 at $500k. Green bay is a good comparable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad